trek 5000 trek 1500 or specialized elite

bdj2

Jun 18, 2005
I have the money right now to get a 1500 or specialized elite but what advice would you give if instead of buying one of these save up the extra for a trek 5000. Also keep in mind that I'm a first time rider, and a personal trainer. I'm 5'11" 245 Ilbs with massive legs. I'm very competitive due to the fact that I play semi-pro football, so naturally when I ride I don't want to finish last.

bdj2 said:
I have the money right now to get a 1500 or specialized elite but what advice would you give if instead of buying one of these save up the extra for a trek 5000. Also keep in mind that I'm a first time rider, and a personal trainer. I'm 5'11" 245 Ilbs with massive legs. I'm very competitive due to the fact that I play semi-pro football, so naturally when I ride I don't want to finish last.

Dude if you just want to burn some money then while you're at it...take a look at the gGiant TCR composite 2. It's a great value carbon everything without the Lance taxation.

But go out there and start test ride some of these bikes, preferrably back to back.

I almost forgot about that Giant. Good components overall. I think it's almost $2200, but looks like some serious good stuff. Also, considering, your, ahem, dimensions, you might want to think about something like the LeMond Versailles, which is a mix of steel and carbon. It looks like a stellar choice for that price range. I have an all-steel LeMond and love that friggin thing to death. It's just unfortunate Miss Roubaix came along to ruin the whole relationship... Lousy home-wrecker. :D

I just got a Lancemobile 5000 and I'm very happy with it. I still like the standard/classic/straight top tube over the sloped/compact frames. I got a deal on a 2004 model. Its a keeper.