Trek 7500 hybrid frame size - standover question

Abc

Guest
Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.

I've had this bicycle for 11 months, but for various reasons, I have not ridden it at all - yet.
That is about to change in the next week.

I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks. I have a long torso
(headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my arms are short compared to my torso. (My hands
hang down at my sides at least a few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf with
extra long clubs.)

But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an inch of clearance - if that.
(And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely resting on the top tube!)

I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one time will be "singing soprano".
But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be good for my extra long torso.

I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.

My 22.5 inch frame has a standover of 32.4", horizontal top tube of 22.9", head angle of 71.5
degrees, wheelbase of 42.1" The 20.0 inch frame has a standover of 30.5", horizontal top tube of
22.2", head angle of 70.5 degrees, wheelbase of 41.8"

QUESTION: Is there a good reason to bring the 22.5" bike back after 11 months with no miles on it
and attempt to get the 20.0" frame size before putting any miles on my 22.5" bike?

Thanks in advance! :)

Bud South Bend, Indiana, USA

A shy person wrote:

> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size=

> (largest size available) made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.
>=20
> I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks.=
> have a long torso (headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my =
arms
> are short compared to my torso. (My hands hang down at my sides at lea=
st a
> few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf with extra =
long
> clubs.)
>=20
> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an =
inch
> of clearance - if that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, =
my
> nuts are just barely resting on the top tube!)
>=20
> I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one ti=
me
> will be "singing soprano". But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be go=
od
> for my extra long torso.
>=20
> I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.
>=20
> My 22.5 inch frame has a standover of 32.4", horizontal top tube of 22=
=2E9",
> head angle of 71.5 degrees, wheelbase of 42.1" The 20.0 inch frame has a standover of 30.5",
> horizontal top tube of 22=
=2E2",
> head angle of 70.5 degrees, wheelbase of 41.8"
>=20
> QUESTION: Is there a good reason to bring the 22.5" bike back after 1=
1
> months with no miles on it and attempt to get the 20.0" frame size befo=
re
> putting any miles on my 22.5" bike?

Definitely not. It sounds like you got the right size the first time=20 around. Since you're not
going to be riding off road, you don't need a=20 lot of standover clearance (but I'd advise against
riding barefoot!)

I often fit riders with proportions like yours on bikes with minimal=20 standover clearance,
because that's the way to get the right top tube=20 length. Standover height has nothing to do with
ride comfort.

See also http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html for more detail on thi=
s.

Sheldon "Short Torso, Long Lets, Long Seatpost, But That's Me, Not You"=20 Brown
| 31/August 1, M.I.T. Kresge Auditorium | Cambridge, Mass http://web.mit.edu/gsp/www/ |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"ABC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Last summer, I purchased a Trek 7500 hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame size (largest size available)
> made out of Alpha SL Aluminum.
>
> I've had this bicycle for 11 months, but for various reasons, I have not ridden it at all - yet.
> That is about to change in the next week.
>
> I am 6'2", big body frame, 250 pounds, and wear 32 inch inseam slacks. I have a long torso
> (headroom always a problem when buying cars!) and my
arms
> are short compared to my torso. (My hands hang down at my sides at least
> few inches less than most people - which is why I play golf with extra
long
> clubs.)
>
> But I am concerned in that when standing over the bike, I only have an
inch
> of clearance - if that. (And that is with shoes on - if I'm barefoot, my nuts are just barely
> resting on the top tube!)
>
> I'm concerned that at some point, I'm going to stop the bike and one time will be "singing
> soprano". But the larger frame SUPPOSEDLY would be good for my extra long torso.
>
> I don't plan a lot of offroad riding with this bike.
>
> My 22.5 inch frame has a standover of 32.4", horizontal top tube of
22.9",
> head angle of 71.5 degrees, wheelbase of 42.1" The 20.0 inch frame has a standover of 30.5",
> horizontal top tube of
23.2",
> head angle of 70.5 degrees, wheelbase of 41.8"
>
> QUESTION: Is there a good reason to bring the 22.5" bike back after 11 months with no miles on it
> and attempt to get the 20.0" frame size before putting any miles on my 22.5" bike?

I don't know the answer to your specific question but I did own a "too large" bike when that was
the fashion.

It would be a rare event indeed where that would be an actual problem. Most of the time one steps to
the pavement with one foot, leavng the other in a toeclip (or otherwise still on a pedal) , the bike
leaning from the vertical. I'm sure many r.b.t. readers of a certain age will have had direct
experience here as well.

Try a ride around your neighborhood (unless that entails riding in mud or on an expressway) Ride
back to your bike dealer and ask the same questions you asked us but with your bike at hand. See
if they want to reconsider their fit recommendation in light of your comments. If you do decide
it's not an optimal fit, the delay shouldn't matter much - - but it sure will in August when 2004
bikes come out.