trek madone 5.2 or 5.2SL or what??

paradigm

Aug 22, 2004
about 1 year later, i want to buy a road bike. i want to buy as good bike as i can get. i am thinking madone 5.2 but for $200 i may buy 5.2 SL.. is it worth to buy SL? i don't know exact weight difference. Besides that, for that price, what can i buy other than trek?

one more think, i will use it for fitness/fun. i am not a proffesional athlete i just want to be as fit as i can. because of job i think i will mostly use it for solo rides.
'05 Trek Madone SL 5.2: $2,999.99

'05 Trek Madone 5.2: $2,799.99

thank you!

You may want to take a look at a Giant TCR Composite line of bikes. I just bought the TCR 2 which has a monocoque (one piece) carbon frame and Ultegra components. It typically runs about $2150. Or you can look at the TCR 1 for $2900 - it has Dura Ace / Ultegra mix. http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=11161 The Treks frames are not one piece, but rather several carbon 'tubes' fashioned together. It seems you leverage thr most benefit out of carbon frames when they are one-piece construction. (I can't verify this!)

I have been riding the Giant for a few weeks now and I'm quite impressed with the ride, feel, and quality of the bike. I'd easily recommend it to anyone looking for a high end carbon bike.

Good Luck!

I too was considering the trek madone. Was turned on to the Giant TCR Composite; I felt one, pushed it around the store, ordered one without even test riding it. It was that striking in person. And it rides even better ..

I ended up with the TCR 2 Composite. It's smooth, light, fast etc. No regrets. I did change the saddle based on pretty much everyone's recommendation. Give Giant a shot.

wow - you had problems with the stock saddle?! My bike came with a Fi'zi:k Aliante Sport and it is the most comfy saddle I have ever ridden. I suppose saddles are very subjective. But I'm glad you are enjoying your TRC as well!:eek:

I am also on the fence between the 5.2 and 5.2sl. I like racing triathlons, but have been unhappy with my tri bike. The 5.2 is more aero, but does it sacrifice weight for this. I know the ssl is 100 grams lighter than the sl, does anyone know what the weight difference is between the 5.2 and 5.2sl.

Jerry Kern said:
I am also on the fence between the 5.2 and 5.2sl. I like racing triathlons, but have been unhappy with my tri bike. The 5.2 is more aero, but does it sacrifice weight for this. I know the ssl is 100 grams lighter than the sl, does anyone know what the weight difference is between the 5.2 and 5.2sl.

i think it is fair to say that the weight difference is nothing to concern yourself over. the 5.2 is nice and plenty light enough to zip around as a rec rider.

i just did a test ride. in a word, nice.

i was actually out to look over the cannondale six13 and decided i needed to test ride a "trek" just to see what the hype was all about. the 5.2 was in my size so i took it up the hill and around for about 15 minutes.

it's a nice, comfortable, neutral handling ride. it's got that nice carbon fiber feel when you pedal. i'd take the SL version, though, just to get a more traditional looking frame.

OCLV 110g/squared meter => ~1889g = 4.2 lb
OCLV 120g/sm => ~2072g = 4.6 lb

now if you want to get wood, you gotta go SSLx => 55g/sm = 950g = 2.1 lb :D

(these are trek numbers: i haven't put them on the scale to see for my own eyes)