Trunk bike racks opinions?

rutamike

Sep 11, 2003
I am looking for a good stable trunk mounted bike rack. Anyone with experience with the Thule or other brands? My last rack was roof mounted but for the few times I will need it, I don't want the expense. Are these racks worth the money, or should I go roof?
Thanks for any replies.

Originally posted by rutamike
I am looking for a good stable trunk mounted bike rack. Anyone with experience with the Thule or other brands? My last rack was roof mounted but for the few times I will need it, I don't want the expense. Are these racks worth the money, or should I go roof?
Thanks for any replies.

I have the Thule 3-bike trunk carrier for my wife's Camry and it works fine. She puts it on and takes it off by herself without needing my help, once I set it up the first time for her. It's a good quality carrier that holds the bikes securely without scratching the paint.

I have been using the Saris Bones for the past month. Once set up, this rack is very stable and holds either two or three bikes (depending on the model). It has rubber feet for the trunk and bumper and straps going in three directions per side. Two straps hold the bike at the top tube and one holds it at the seat tube. I have no experience with any other racks, so that's my forty-seven cents (inflation).

I agree with dubaty, the Saris Bones rack is excellent. Very stable, and takes good care of the paint on the bikes and the car.

Peter