Tub Tape or Glue

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Hart, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. David Hart

    David Hart Guest

    I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st time. I'm
    not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks Dave

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Fiberglass or porcelain tubs? It does make a difference.

    "David Hart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st time.
    > I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape
    the
    > tubs on. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks Dave

  3. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st time.
    I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on. Any advice would be much
    appreciated. >>

    Use this technique for the strongest bond. The best adhesives are Vittoria Mastik One and
    Continental rim cement. Clean the rims with lacquer thinner or acetone. Apply a thin coat of cement
    to the rim. Make sure you spread it all the way to the edges. Apply a coat of cement to the entire
    base tape of the tire. Allow both to dry overnight. Apply another thin coat to the rim. Allow to dry
    overnight. Apply a third thin coat to the rim and stretch the tire on. Partially inflate the tire
    and manipulate it until straight. Inflate to 7 bar and allow to dry overnight. Subsequent gluings
    using same rims can be accomplished with one new coat of cement over the residual glue. You can
    clean up any errant glue on the rim sidewalls or hand with lacquer thinner. Wear disposable surgical
    gloves when handling rim cement and solvents.

  4. Basso

    Basso Guest

    > I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on. Any advice would be much
    > appreciated.

    If you use the Tufo tape, don't plan on EVER getting your tires off the rim. I have some track
    wheels that got crashed on their first ride. I glued with Tufo tape and the only way to get the
    tires off at this point is to cut them...sad... T

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > << I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be
    using
    > tubs for the 1st time. I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape
    the
    > tubs on. Any advice would be much appreciated. >>
    >
    > Use this technique for the strongest bond. The best adhesives are Vittoria Mastik One and
    > Continental rim cement. Clean the rims with lacquer
    thinner or
    > acetone. Apply a thin coat of cement to the rim. Make sure you spread it
    all
    > the way to the edges. Apply a coat of cement to the entire base tape of
    the
    > tire. Allow both to dry overnight. Apply another thin coat to the rim.
    Allow to
    > dry overnight. Apply a third thin coat to the rim and stretch the tire on. Partially inflate the
    > tire and manipulate it until straight. Inflate to 7
    bar
    > and allow to dry overnight. Subsequent gluings using same rims can be accomplished with one
    > new coat
    of
    > cement over the residual glue. You can clean up any errant glue on the rim sidewalls or hand with
    > lacquer thinner. Wear disposable surgical gloves when handling rim cement and
    solvents.

    I'll second this and add that you can do the same thing with 3M Fastack. A big ole tube of Fastack
    is going to last a long time and run you about $6 at your local NAPA store.

    Mike

  6. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Mike S. <[email protected]> writes:

    >> Partially inflate the tire and manipulate it until straight. Inflate to 7 bar and allow to dry
    >> overnight. Subsequent gluings using same rims can be accomplished with one new coat of cement
    >> over the residual glue. You can clean up any errant glue on the rim sidewalls or hand with
    >> lacquer thinner. Wear disposable surgical gloves when handling rim cement and > solvents.

    So complicated! This is not heart surgery, only glue application.

    > I'll second this and add that you can do the same thing with 3M Fastack. A big ole tube of Fastack
    > is going to last a long time and run you about $6 at your local NAPA store.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.28.html

  7. dave-<< I've just built a set of wheels using CXP30 sprint rims and will be using tubs for the 1st
    time. I'm not sure whether it is better to glue or tape the tubs on.

    Glue, glue, glue-never tape-