Turning PRO?

xxspokesxx

Jan 26, 2004
Hey what does it take to turn pro in cycling? For instance as an amateur of myself if you had the talent and determination how long does it usually take to turn pro?

Also are you found by teams or do you go seeking them out? Basically what does it take to ride with a teams logo on your chest?

And finally out of curiosity at 21 years old with basic talent and incredible determination is it possible to turn pro or am I way behind the game? Just curious thanks!

I have also wondered about this same topic. I am 20 yrs old and I love to ride and I always wondered what it would take to start up a career in cycling. It's not like football or baseball where you start out in school and get a scholorship and go to college and move on up, at least not in the US. What does it take and how do you do it? :(

Originally posted by budge311
I have also wondered about this same topic. I am 20 yrs old and I love to ride and I always wondered what it would take to start up a career in cycling. It's not like football or baseball where you start out in school and get a scholorship and go to college and move on up, at least not in the US. What does it take and how do you do it? :(

EXACTLY!!!! my biggest question is though are we way behind because we just hit our twenties while there are young guns who are winning the world championships! Or is is really possible to turn pro in our mid twenties if we have the natural talent and determination?

Yeah, you can do it with natural talent, but unless you are out there riding a sub 50 minute 40k time trial, and are already at least a successful Cat. 2 rider, your chances are pretty slim .......

There ARE successful collegiate programs that US pro teams look at, but most of those guys started riding as juniors when they were around 14 or so. And yes, there are some collegiate scholarships out there, you just have to search for them.

In the US, making it to the pro level does take determination and a lot of work. You basically need to dominate your local race scene, and then compete at the national level, and go to all the big races (Tour de Toona, Killington, etc.) and do well.

To make it to the international level, you need to do all that, and then dominate the national level ........... International pro level is a completely different ball game. If you haven't been riding since you were a junior, have a personal coach, and some connections, it is just about impossible to make it to that level. Not totally impossible, but pretty damn hard ........

If you are juts getting into riding and racing in your early twenties and want to make it to the pro level, you had better have the time and money to go out in all types of weather and pack on the miles. I'm talking 3-5 hours a day, all year round. Starting in March, you should be racing at least two times a week, and get onto a good local team.

Like Daremo said find your local team. Ride LOTS!
Worry about becoming a big-shot in your local area first, you'll figure it all out from there. Did I mention to Ride Lots?

I posted a link for you in the thread on races in your area. Track down the team in your town... And ride a whole heap with them!!
;)

Tyler Hamilton didn't start until his early 20's...and now he is a serious contender for the tour..and earns about a million a year.

Some top professionals started even later! Tony Rominger(now retired) didn't start until his late 20's...and he won a ton of races..and was Miguel Indurain's main rival for a few Tours de France and was one of the world's best time trialists and mountain climbers. Rominger even set the world's hour record before he retired. The UCI later disqualified his ride because he used an aerodynamic bike and position...still rominger has done the hour faster than any human ever has done it.

Then there was Andrei Tchmil.....who won several of the European classic races as he neared his 40th birthday.

There's a guy named Kent Bostick that still races at a high level domestically..and he's into his 50's. Kent made the U.S. Olympic team in 1996(atlanta) in the individual pursuit at the age of 43 by defeating the reigning world champion in the U.S. olympic trials. Kent is also a former 'masters' World Champion in several disciplines on the road and track.

If you want to go pro...I suggest you conquer things in this order....

First become great on the 'local' level

then concentrate on the 'regional' level.
By the time you are one of the better 'regional' rider you will begin to get some attention from regional level teams.

Once you are established on the 'regional' level..next move to the 'national' level. Here it gets tougher!
If you do well nationally..then people will start to take care of you...pay your expenses and cover your equipment with sponsors and such. Even still...don't expect to be making any serious money even at the national level.

If you have what it takes to thrive nationally...then the next step is international level competition which means that your butt will end up somewhere in Europe...like Tom Danielson is now doing with Fassa Bartolo after doing so well racing in the USA with team Saturn.

Here's my bottom line advice...BECOME SO GOOD THAT THEY CANNOT IGNORE YOU!!!!!! This will carry you far. Don't ever forget that advice. You have got to stand out.

Don't worry that you didn't start at age 16. Many cyclists that started that young burned out long before they reached their full potential...Alexi Grewal comes to mind. Even Lemond was fried mentally at age 32...and this is the age that Tyler Hamilton is beginning to excel. Lemond started cycling at a much younger age than did Tyler...so mentally tyler is still fresh. Usually when you see these guys no longer getting results when they hit their 30's..it's usually more to do with their minds than their physical abilities. It's hard to stay fresh after 10-15 years. Profesional cycling is so hard and demanding. The discipline required eventually wares ya down mentally.

You will not reach your peak anyway until you are 29 or later. Most cyclists are at their best from ages 29-32...which seem to be spot on regarding Lance Armstrong.

Originally posted by oneradtec

still rominger has done the hour faster than any human ever has done it.

nope. Boardman (superman position) went faster, but still... I was a big fan of Rominger, he was a fantastic rider and maybe could have won a TdF if he hadn't struggled with hayfever in the high summer. Another Swiss, Alex Zülle, only started riding at 21 and was in the Tour yellow jersey 3 years later. He went on to win the Vuelta.

As an endurance sport cycling will always favour the slightly older guy than, eg. ball sports. Look at the white jersey in the Tour, u-25 is considered young rider - if you were a tennis player you'd be thinking about retiring by then!

My guess is that US and UK based riders are at a big disadvantage here though. The standard of competition is not as high as it is on the European mainland and the Trade teams know that and select riders accordingly. In the UK our best domestic pro (Winn) just got a 1 year shot with a lower racked European team and looks now being back in the UK again this year.

I don't know what the situation financially is for US-based pro's and how many opportunities there are, but if that's what you're aiming for then the routes suggested above are the only way to go. If you want to ride the Tour I would suggest finding some contacts at a club in France/Belgium and getting yourself over there. Take the hammerings every week, keep coming back for more and eventually someone will notice the determination you talk about.

Good luck.

Don't worry at all that you are 21. As it has been pointed out, cyclists don't turn pro till mid to late twenties. Just keep training hard, with better riders.

Race as much as possible to learn and experience as much as possible.

It wont happen for at least four years, no matter your talent. The team needs to see you gain experience. Just think of Tom Danielson, he could have gone to Europe in 03 and done well, but he wasn't ready.

Keep riding in your region this year as much as possible and think about finding a team in Belgium or France for '05.

Originally posted by oneradtec
Tyler Hamilton didn't start until his early 20's...and now he is a serious contender for the tour..and earns about a million a year.

Some top professionals started even later! Tony Rominger(now retired) didn't start until his late 20's...and he won a ton of races..and was Miguel Indurain's main rival for a few Tours de France and was one of the world's best time trialists and mountain climbers. Rominger even set the world's hour record before he retired. The UCI later disqualified his ride because he used an aerodynamic bike and position...still rominger has done the hour faster than any human ever has done it.

Then there was Andrei Tchmil.....who won several of the European classic races as he neared his 40th birthday.

There's a guy named Kent Bostick that still races at a high level domestically..and he's into his 50's. Kent made the U.S. Olympic team in 1996(atlanta) in the individual pursuit at the age of 43 by defeating the reigning world champion in the U.S. olympic trials. Kent is also a former 'masters' World Champion in several disciplines on the road and track.

If you want to go pro...I suggest you conquer things in this order....

First become great on the 'local' level

then concentrate on the 'regional' level.
By the time you are one of the better 'regional' rider you will begin to get some attention from regional level teams.

Once you are established on the 'regional' level..next move to the 'national' level. Here it gets tougher!
If you do well nationally..then people will start to take care of you...pay your expenses and cover your equipment with sponsors and such. Even still...don't expect to be making any serious money even at the national level.

If you have what it takes to thrive nationally...then the next step is international level competition which means that your butt will end up somewhere in Europe...like Tom Danielson is now doing with Fassa Bartolo after doing so well racing in the USA with team Saturn.

Here's my bottom line advice...BECOME SO GOOD THAT THEY CANNOT IGNORE YOU!!!!!! This will carry you far. Don't ever forget that advice. You have got to stand out.

Don't worry that you didn't start at age 16. Many cyclists that started that young burned out long before they reached their full potential...Alexi Grewal comes to mind. Even Lemond was fried mentally at age 32...and this is the age that Tyler Hamilton is beginning to excel. Lemond started cycling at a much younger age than did Tyler...so mentally tyler is still fresh. Usually when you see these guys no longer getting results when they hit their 30's..it's usually more to do with their minds than their physical abilities. It's hard to stay fresh after 10-15 years. Profesional cycling is so hard and demanding. The discipline required eventually wares ya down mentally.

You will not reach your peak anyway until you are 29 or later. Most cyclists are at their best from ages 29-32...which seem to be spot on regarding Lance Armstrong.

What do you mean by "didn't start"? Are you talking about not starting in the pro ranks? amateur ranks? Or are you talking about not having ridden a bike at all until later in life? Almost anyone in the USA at least has ridden a bike before they are 10. How do you define "starting"? Clearly, you must mean something else.

Originally posted by xxspokesxx
Hey what does it take to turn pro in cycling? For instance as an amateur of myself if you had the talent and determination how long does it usually take to turn pro?

Also are you found by teams or do you go seeking them out? Basically what does it take to ride with a teams logo on your chest?

And finally out of curiosity at 21 years old with basic talent and incredible determination is it possible to turn pro or am I way behind the game? Just curious thanks!

Look here's the deal. It does take a huge amount of time to do this. With you being a bit older, your going to have to sell everything, includung house, girlfriend and dog to get there. If you want to get a good start, go to your local shop and get involved with their team. That's how I got started when I was 7, now I'm 22, have been to all different kinds of races in different places. Right now I've lost my pro license due to military service, but I'll get it back when I get out. If I were you I would concentrate on local races, then move up to state level, then regional level, then maybe east or west level, then national, etc. For sponsorships, I keep track of all races that I do, set up a resume, and get addresses for the companies that I think that I want to represent. After that, you need to keep in contact with them by email, or telephone. Be prepared to pay for your gear until you hit the higher levels, even then don't expect to keep anything. Mostly concentrate on here and now, what your doing today for training, get a coach it'll eliminate some training hassles. If you have any other questions email me.

Originally posted by xxspokesxx

By the way what's with this straightedge thing? I was that until I learned about euro culture and grew to love the art of high class food and art. If you like this lifestyle that's great, just stay away from Utah, where I was involved with it, it's cosidered a gang out there and you'll get arrested, I know from experience.

This thread might be dead, but I wanted to post this new opportunity targeted to such riders.

My name is Todd Hageman. I am the Director of a new developmental cycling program in Park City Utah (don't know what the one guy is talking about!). The Academy allows young riders the opportunity to try and take the next step. We offer mentorships with top elite and professional riders (Burke Swindlehurst and Jeff Louder). The Academy allows young riders to live, train and race in the western US. We will provide everything a young rider needs (Housing, uniforms, entry fees, hotels, feeds, etc). No more water bottles in the back pocket and sleeping on hotel floors. We will travel throughout the western US racing the big races (nationals, Estes, Cascade, High Uintas, etc). These are the races young riders need to do to develop the endurance and speed to take it to the next level. The reason why I started the academy is because I don't want guys like you to do what I did. Which was spend a ton of money, sleep in my car and race unsupported. You are at a disadvantage already if you are a CAt 1/2 and line up against the pros teams. It's a waste of time and money to show up at the big races unsupported. How can you follow Moniger up a 10 mile climb with two water bottles in your back pocket? I have been there and seen it too often.
The Academy is also located 1K from the National Championship course. The best way to get noticed is by placing well at Nationals. Its nice to be acclimated and have a home field advantage
Check us out at www.parkcitycycling.com

We have tried to keep the price to a minimum, but if you were to add up what an aspiring rider would pay to do what we are doing it would most likely be more expensive, plus we will include seminars on nutrition, strength and conditioning, self massage, and full support at the races. Plus we will treat the riders like pros. We will register all the athletes, give them their hotel keys, fill their water bottles, clean and prepare the bikes, everything you would expect a pro to receive. We are also securing sponsorship for some equipment and pro deals from a bunch of companies. The cost is the biggest misconception we need to overcome. If you were to do our schedule by yourself or with a teammate it would cost you as much. For example:
Rent:500 (Park City, Boulder, Bend, etc are very expensive)
Utilities: $50-150
Car Payment: 100-250
Gas: 200-400
Insurance: 50-150
Entry Fees: $150-300
Hotels: $150-400
Race Supplies: $100
Total $1350-$2250
Now add in uniforms, motor pacing, coaches, etc.

We are offering job placement assistance for those riders that will need it. I would have if I were 20 yrs. old.
If you read Bobby Julichs story, he paid out of his pocket something like $30,000 back in 1992 after Spago dropped sponsorship last minute, and that was just racing in the US.