Two, maybe three problems I need guidance on

TrekDedicated

Jun 17, 2004
Hey everyone,

I was going to ask my LBS, but they are closed now and are closed Sunday and Monday and I have a race on Tuesday!

First problem: Whenever I stand up to climb, I get a weird creaking/scratching noise in either the head set or in the fork. Sometimes when I basically have all my weight back, the noise won't be apparent, but as soon as I lean forward, the noise begins. It is really apparent when the bike moves from side to side as I'm climbing.

Second problem: My pedals/ maybe cranks. There is sometimes creaking in the pedals as I am pedaling, but that's not what is really apparent and it is only occasionally. The real problem is, ss soon as I relieve the pressure from the pedals/cranks and then reapply it, I get a creaking noise. Also, I am able to move the shoe a little bit and the noise makes itself know then as well. The entire area just doesn't feel 'right', there are a lot of noises going on in the pedal/crank area and if you all could give me some tips as to what I should do, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

TrekDedicated said:
Hey everyone,

First problem: Whenever I stand up to climb, I get a weird creaking/scratching noise in either the head set or in the fork. Sometimes when I basically have all my weight back, the noise won't be apparent, but as soon as I lean forward, the noise begins. It is really apparent when the bike moves from side to side as I'm climbing.

Thanks!

I had the same problem this morning while out riding. I ended up getting my front wheel trued and adjusted my computer sensor as it may have been hitting the magnet on the spoke. Havent ridden it since the changes have been made but they said they could find any other problems so hopefully that was it.
Keep us updated

I had a lot of squeaking noise from my Look cleats and pedals. It helps to get new cleats. I now am using dura ace pedals and cleats, and they seem to be alot quieter.

briansmt4 said:
I had a lot of squeaking noise from my Look cleats and pedals. It helps to get new cleats. I now am using dura ace pedals and cleats, and they seem to be alot quieter.

Assuming you are using Look, this is most likely your problem. Try the new cleats jsut as brian suggested--they have white at the edges but are still mostly red (the white is teflon material or something like that, and it is supposed to make the float a little smoother too, and cut down on the noise). Another option, if you are interested, is to try the Look Keo's. They can now be had for around $100 at places like www.probikekit.com. Good luck!!

TrekDedicated said:
Hey everyone,

I was going to ask my LBS, but they are closed now and are closed Sunday and Monday and I have a race on Tuesday!

Second problem: My pedals/ maybe cranks. There is sometimes creaking in the pedals as I am pedaling, but that's not what is really apparent and it is only occasionally. The real problem is, ss soon as I relieve the pressure from the pedals/cranks and then reapply it, I get a creaking noise. Also, I am able to move the shoe a little bit and the noise makes itself know then as well. The entire area just doesn't feel 'right', there are a lot of noises going on in the pedal/crank area and if you all could give me some tips as to what I should do, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I'd be more concerned about the noises up front, since that indicates something could be either loose or about to fail. If you can make the noise while the bike is stopped by pushing on the bars to create the flex, you could try to isolate. Check that the front skewer is working smoothly and tight, the spokes are tensioned, fork isn't cracked or creaking, that the headset is properly adjusted (preloaded), and that the stem and bars are properly tightened.

The noise up front sounds like "carbon creak" which I had in a previous bike (C4 Joker). Never came to any harm. it just seems like a consequence of carbon. Had the forks checked but no damage found. Also found in others folks carbon forks when out of the saddle. Seems like you may just have to live with it. As far as the pedals go I would also say that the Look Keo is a great improvement on the old design.

TrekDedicated said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

I get a lot of creaks ,mostly from my joints, but seriously I agree the front must be a carbon headset which can be tightened.
That is not a big deal and more irritation than anything.
The pedal area could be a couple of things, pedal bearings(I doubt it) cleats or even something else in the bottom bracket. See if you have a lot of play in the bottom bracket by shifting the crank up and down with your hand.
I clean my cleats semi-regularly and put a little lite lubricant on them.Cuts any noise and make them engage more easily. Take some lite sandpaper and remove any small burs on cleats, but don't go crazy,be gentle.
Tighten the head set or have the LBS do it if you wish.
If everything is in line and no wobble you probably do not have a major problem, just an irritating noise.
Hell ,I usually gasp for air too loud to hear those noises anyway.

Cheers and good luck

mark higgins said:
The noise up front sounds like "carbon creak" which I had in a previous bike (C4 Joker). Never came to any harm. it just seems like a consequence of carbon. Had the forks checked but no damage found. Also found in others folks carbon forks when out of the saddle. Seems like you may just have to live with it. As far as the pedals go I would also say that the Look Keo is a great improvement on the old design.
I've never heard of a "carbon creak", and most everyone I ride with has CF forks. Can't think of anything on a CF fork that should creak, unless there is a crack, or the steer tube or a dropout joint is failing. To me, creaking from anywhere on the bike is something to fix, but creaking from the front end is more urgent to fix due to the potential safety risk.

Hmmmmmmmmm... Looking at that Park site made me realize that my BB shell isn't bonded into my frame anymore (I rebuilt the BB today and that sleeve moves around). Maybe I can take my bike in and get a warranty replacement frame. Hmmmm...

I had a creaking noise I thought must have been from headset or fork. In general maintenance, I lubed the springs at the downtube STI cable stops (for Shimano, don't know if this exists for Campy). This is in the general area of the headset and forks. Wha-la, squeaking went away. Worth a check, takes about 5 sec to lube it.

Hey everyone,

I took it to the shop, the pedals and bottom bracket are loose, so my LBS is just cleaning it and 'rebuilding' it. Thanks for all the help!!

Slingus, I'll try that. Thanks.

I'm not bike expert, but i do know that it is that time of year when the temperature really heats up.
bikes are made out of a lot of different materials that expand due to heat at different rates.
this should be also considered when dealing with creaking noises.

briansmt4 said:
I'm glad to see that someone else is a believer in the SPD-SL pedals and cleats.
I have been using them for a while and love them. Very solid. I started using them before I found out that L.A. is using them. In retrospect, I am not surprised that he is using them. I have used both the low end and the Ultegra/R600 level pedals. Both excellent.

The new internal or integrated headsets are known to produce creaks.

On Campy type bottom brackets : you can get creaks where the cups slide onto the sealed bearing body - solution = Loctite 660.

You can get cleat sqeak.

You can even get sqeaks and creaks where the shifter cable housing stops and bare cable begins - a little grease at these points should help.

Check the Park site also - it lists many other causes of creaks 'n squeaks.

The ways a bike can creak 'n squeak are endless -- Good Luck !!

Also, when you solve a creak problem, write it down .

litespeedguy said:
The new internal or integrated headsets are known to produce creaks.

On Campy type bottom brackets : you can get creaks where the cups slide onto the sealed bearing body - solution = Loctite 660.

You can get cleat sqeak.

You can even get sqeaks and creaks where the shifter cable housing stops and bare cable begins - a little grease at these points should help.

Check the Park site also - it lists many other causes of creaks 'n squeaks.

The ways a bike can creak 'n squeak are endless -- Good Luck !!

Also, when you solve a creak problem, write it down .

There is no debate Carbon Creaks if it is not fitted right or it is loose. How do I know this? Experience!
As I stated before it can usually be fixed by adjusting it usually by tighteing.
Lubrication helps but is only a temporary solution. When the lubricant wears off it will creak again.