Two perfect cycling days in a row !!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Succorso, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    With a new ice-age being hyped up by the media (and the Met-Office in blatent "we told you so"
    litigation avoidance mode) for this week, I made the most of this weekend to get some
    acclimatisation miles with the new bike.

    Did a 20 mile round trip to Dereham yesterday, and a another 20 miler today, this time a mini-tour
    of the Acres (West Acre, South Acre, Castle Acre).

    Both days absolutely fantastic- little wind, cool but not cold, and both sunny with excellent
    visibility.

    Can't fault the bike (Dawes Sonoron for those who missed the earlier post) - light, spritely and an
    excellent range of gears; bottom gear I will never use because hills just don't get that steep in
    Norfolk, and top gear I'll not use for a long time yet as I don't have enough strength in my legs to
    maintain cadence in that gear.

    I still need to lose another 20lbs or so of lard to avoid hauling that weight all around Norfolk,
    but I figure I'm doing pretty well for someone who was smoking 40 fags a day and four stone
    overweight just two years ago; when I would get "winded" just climbing a flight of stairs.
    --
    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Succorso wrote:
    > With a new ice-age being hyped up by the media (and the Met-Office in blatent "we told you so"
    > litigation avoidance mode) for this week, I made the most of this weekend to get some
    > acclimatisation miles with the new bike.
    >
    > Did a 20 mile round trip to Dereham yesterday, and a another 20 miler today, this time a mini-tour
    > of the Acres (West Acre, South Acre, Castle Acre).
    >
    > Both days absolutely fantastic- little wind, cool but not cold, and both sunny with excellent
    > visibility.
    >
    > Can't fault the bike (Dawes Sonoron for those who missed the earlier post) - light, spritely and
    > an excellent range of gears; bottom gear I will never use because hills just don't get that steep
    > in Norfolk, and top gear I'll not use for a long time yet as I don't have enough strength in my
    > legs to maintain cadence in that gear.
    >
    > I still need to lose another 20lbs or so of lard to avoid hauling that weight all around Norfolk,
    > but I figure I'm doing pretty well for someone who was smoking 40 fags a day and four stone
    > overweight just two years ago; when I would get "winded" just climbing a flight of stairs.

    Down Snap Hill near Marlborough, into a headwind, on the Nomad with mudguards, rack and rack pack
    attached, I got 51.9 mph yesterday :) Fastest I've been for nearly 10 years - and yes, I did
    carefully calibrate the computer with a rollout test.

  3. On 25/1/04 5:44 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > With a new ice-age being hyped up by the media (and the Met-Office in blatent "we told you so"
    > litigation avoidance mode) for this week, I made the most of this weekend to get some
    > acclimatisation miles with the new bike.

    Thought I'd better take the bike out yesterday. The roads were mostly fine on the main roads. Went
    into Blairgowrie for the first time and stopped for a cup of tea. Frosted benches, blue sky, a nice
    town square and a good cupap at the cafe. I'd driven the road from Blairgowrie to Alyth before and
    knew it was twisting and rolling, with fast driving on poor visibility. I took the top road instead.
    A long climb up on frosted roads. No traffic (except the few tyretracks in the frost) Silence,
    sunshine over the mist rising from the fields and great views. The fun part was dodging the black
    ice and feeling the rear wheel slide a few times.

    Coming down into Alyth was interesting. One of the few times I have got off a bike to walk *down* a
    hill. It'll be a great ride when the weather warms up.

    ..d

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Did 100km from Souhampton to Dummer near Basingstoke, and back again. Lovely
    weather for it: not a drop of wind.

    Simon

  5. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did 100km from Souhampton to Dummer near Basingstoke, and back again.
    Lovely
    > weather for it: not a drop of wind.

    Lucky you! The wind made its presence felt up here in Yorkshire.

    Vernon in Leeds

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Succorso wrote:
    > With a new ice-age being hyped up by the media (and the Met-Office in blatent "we told you so"
    > litigation avoidance mode) for this week, I made the most of this weekend to get some
    > acclimatisation miles with the new bike.

    Did an offroad ride in Dorset from Old Harry Rocks along the ridges to Corfe and then beyond to
    Kimmeridge before returning along the sea cliffs. Mainly nice and sunny but the occassional heavy
    raincloud ran through. Fortunately the worst I had was to catch just the edge of one. Headwind all
    the way out, tail wind home. Then off on Sunday to find a motocross and 4WD mecca just north of
    Salisbury. Must have seen about 30 bikes and 10 4WDs ploughing the byeways up into a mudfest. About
    1/3 round, riding buddy had a tyre wall go so it was limp back and repair to the pub for a rather
    excellent late lunch then home to excavate the bike from the face pack.

    Tony

  7. David Off

    David Off Guest

    Succorso wrote:
    > Both days absolutely fantastic- little wind, cool but not cold, and both sunny with excellent
    > visibility.

    Snow this morning - with predictions of worse on the local weather so I left the bike at home. Half
    an hour later the sun came out and it stayed nice, but cold, all day.

    :-(

  8. wardie2000

    wardie2000 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2003
    two great days,

    cycling saturday just under 100miles, same again sunday but different route through the new forest. lovely crisp morning at 8.10 on sunday morning.
    got just outside southampton and couldn't feel my feet. so i kept sprinting up the 'hills' in the new forest to try and get some warmth.

    bought some overshoes today, hopefully they should help.