First, Charles Shaw, the $3 wine that my ex-grilf's mother absolutely loves, so she gets a full case
of it for xmas, and it costs me less than $40. (Don't ask; it's complicated.)
Second, they sell these preseasoned frozen lamb rib-racks that are beyond easy to cook and beyond
delicious to eat.
I had one a year or so ago and loved it, but never bothered to go back to TJ's to get one because I
find everything else there overpriced or mendaciously marketed [censored]. (Honestly, "organic" is not a
synonym for "good" and usually means "substandard quality but you won't get exposed to chemicals
that 6 billion other people survive for decades"😉.
So I was there on my viniferous errand last week, and I saw this rack o' lamb in the freezer bin,
and it found its way into my cart. (I do know how that works; neurons and myelin and muscular
contraction and all.)
I had it today. Even better than last time.
I grilled it. Maybe a little too much. I did it for the recommended 7 minutes per side, and of
course the heavy crusting of herbs and spices on the outside burned up. But when I scraped the black
stuff off, I realized it was only the coating, and the meat was glistening and maillarded to
perfection. And since the thing had lived in that spice for a couple of months or so, it wouldn't
matter a bit if it wasn't there when I ate it. The time was a tad long, I fear, because instead of
medium-rare it was closer to medium-well, but it was still super-moist, almost fork tender, and
tasted fantastic. Almost no gamy overtones.
And, at $8.50/lb, these are now cheaper at retail than strip steaks, which show up in the
supermarkets for well over $9 during the phony beef shortage.
I'll probably be into this again. Especially if I uncork that extra bottle of Charles Shaw cab that
I got to try and find out it's great for a $3 wine and want a case for my own damnable self.
--Blair "I got the chard, too. Full report to follow. Pardon the
pun."