Tyler 3rd best American of all time?

NPA

Guest
What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all time now?

Better than Hampsten?

-NPA

Nowhere near, Hampsten won the Giro when the Giro was worth winning...

F.

"NPA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all

time now?

> Better than Hampsten?
>
> -NPA

"NPA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all
> time now?
>
> Better than Hampsten?
>
> -NPA

Best American Cyclist of *all* time?? You need to read about the history of
American cycling. Ever heard of Major Taylor, Frank Kramer, Arthur
Zimmerman to name just three who would arguably be ahead of Hampsten, Lemond
and Armstrong for greatness by acheivment.

On 20 Aug 2004 13:51:07 -0700, [email protected] (NPA) wrote:

>Better than Hampsten?

Not yet. If he keeps going the way he is, probably will be. But not
yet

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

NPA said:
What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all time now?

Better than Hampsten?

-NPA

Not even close.

Hampsten not only won the Giro and TdS, but had other highrankings on top of it.

"Tuschinski" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> NPA Wrote:
> > What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all
> > time now?
> >
> > Better than Hampsten?
> >
> > -NPA

> Not even close.
>
> Hampsten not only won the Giro and TdS, but had other highrankings on
> top of it.

I lost all respect for the guy. Here it is the Olympics, world stage, and
the whiney lil ***** dedicates his Gold Medal to his ****ing DOG. I mean
enough already, I could see a few days of mourning, but please . Also
cyclists need to take a page from, and I know this will just **** you
Nippleheads off, NASCAR when it comes to being in front of a camera. He
doesn't thank the USA for giving him the opportunity, he doesn't thank
Phonak, In print he thanks CSC and Riis for gods sake. He doesn't thank a
coach or anyone, in a conversation he comes off just effin stupid. THEN John
Hancock insurance, one fo the USOC sponsors sends Him and Julich to the tune
of 5K to some celebratory dinner. WHAT ABOUT DEDE? she won a silver...ohhh
yeah she's a chic...that's right

Dave

Tuschinski <[email protected]> wrote:

> NPA Wrote:
>> What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all
>> time now?
>>
>> Better than Hampsten?
>>
>> -NPA

> Not even close.

> Hampsten not only won the Giro and TdS, but had other highrankings on
> top of it.

Twice 4th in the Tour (to Tyler's 1) including once while riding in
a support role. Four total top ten finishes.

In the Giro, a win, 2 total podium finishes, 4 total top tens.

No memorable crashes.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Dave H
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tuschinski" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > NPA Wrote:
> > > What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all
> > > time now?
> > >
> > > Better than Hampsten?
> > >
> > > -NPA

> > Not even close.
> >
> > Hampsten not only won the Giro and TdS, but had other highrankings on
> > top of it.
> >

> I lost all respect for the guy. Here it is the Olympics, world stage, and
> the whiney lil ***** dedicates his Gold Medal to his ****ing DOG. I mean
> enough already, I could see a few days of mourning, but please . Also
> cyclists need to take a page from, and I know this will just **** you
> Nippleheads off, NASCAR when it comes to being in front of a camera. He
> doesn't thank the USA for giving him the opportunity,

Why should he? He earned his way. Do we hear most other athletes
thanking the USA or their coaches? Besides, the coaches are used to
getting their thanks in private, what's said is usually too personal
for the public to hear about.

> In print he thanks CSC and Riis for gods sake. He doesn't thank a
> coach or anyone,

Riis counts for that, since he's the one that's probably helped him
most in recent years.

I for one don't want to hear some Nascar type rattle off a list of his
sponsors and how great his brand x bike was. I thought Tyler came off
humble and deeply happy about winning the Olympic gold medal.

-WG

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 03:10:24 -0000, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tuschinski <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> NPA Wrote:
>>> What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all
>>> time now?
>>>
>>> Better than Hampsten?
>>>
>>> -NPA

>> Not even close.

>> Hampsten not only won the Giro and TdS, but had other highrankings on
>> top of it.

>Twice 4th in the Tour (to Tyler's 1) including once while riding in
>a support role. Four total top ten finishes.
>
>In the Giro, a win, 2 total podium finishes, 4 total top tens.

Plus 3 stages in the Giro, one in the Tour of France.

And two Tours of Switzerland with two stages in that race, and a Tour
of Romandy.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

"Dave H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tuschinski" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > NPA Wrote:
> > > What do you guys think? Is Tyler the 3rd best American cyclist of all
> > > time now?
> > >
> > > Better than Hampsten?
> > >
> > > -NPA

> > Not even close.
> >
> > Hampsten not only won the Giro and TdS, but had other highrankings on
> > top of it.
> >

> I lost all respect for the guy. Here it is the Olympics, world stage, and
> the whiney lil ***** dedicates his Gold Medal to his ****ing DOG. I mean
> enough already, I could see a few days of mourning, but please . Also
> cyclists need to take a page from, and I know this will just **** you
> Nippleheads off, NASCAR when it comes to being in front of a camera. He
> doesn't thank the USA for giving him the opportunity, he doesn't thank
> Phonak, In print he thanks CSC and Riis for gods sake. He doesn't thank a
> coach or anyone, in a conversation he comes off just effin stupid. THEN

John
> Hancock insurance, one fo the USOC sponsors sends Him and Julich to the

tune
> of 5K to some celebratory dinner. WHAT ABOUT DEDE? she won a silver...ohhh
> yeah she's a chic...that's right
>
> Dave

I didn't lose all respect for the guy, but I'm sure he left his mom, dad,
wife, coach and several others with their mouths hanging open when he
dedicated his victory to his dog. Hey, nobody's into animals any more than
I am, but a little perspective is a good thing.

Bob C.

psycholist wrote:

> I didn't lose all respect for the guy, but I'm sure he left his mom, dad,
> wife, coach and several others with their mouths hanging open when he
> dedicated his victory to his dog. Hey, nobody's into animals any more than
> I am, but a little perspective is a good thing.

there must be something wrong with me. i didn't consider that there was
anything strange about it at all until i read these posts.

anyhoo, maybe he was thinking about his dog during the entire tt and it
gave him that extra edge and he knows it?

heather

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:11:12 GMT, h squared
<[email protected]> wrote:

>psycholist wrote:
>>
>> I didn't lose all respect for the guy, but I'm sure he left his mom, dad,
>> wife, coach and several others with their mouths hanging open when he
>> dedicated his victory to his dog. Hey, nobody's into animals any more than
>> I am, but a little perspective is a good thing.

>there must be something wrong with me. i didn't consider that there was
>anything strange about it at all until i read these posts.
>
>anyhoo, maybe he was thinking about his dog during the entire tt and it
>gave him that extra edge and he knows it?
>
>heather

Well certainly his dog was on his mind b/c they were daily and constant
companions and the dog had died. I'm sure if Tyler's second cousin had
died, he'd have been thinking about him and dedicated the race to them.

People have certainly raced with more mundane motivation, like eating a
pint of ice cream at the finish or getting a T-shirt, or even a shiny piece
of metal on a string, eh?

-B

Badger_South wrote:

> People have certainly raced with more mundane motivation, like eating a
> pint of ice cream at the finish or getting a T-shirt, or even a shiny piece
> of metal on a string, eh?

ha. good point. i just came back from a 2 hour run and enjoyed eating my
ice cream reward .
heather

warren wrote in message <200820042110038406%[email protected]>...
>In article <[email protected]>, Dave H
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Tuschinski" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...

all

>> > Not even close.
>> >
>> > Hampsten not only won the Giro and TdS, but had other highrankings on
>> > top of it.
>> >

>> I lost all respect for the guy. Here it is the Olympics, world stage, and
>> the whiney lil ***** dedicates his Gold Medal to his ****ing DOG. I mean
>> enough already, I could see a few days of mourning, but please . Also
>> cyclists need to take a page from, and I know this will just **** you
>> Nippleheads off, NASCAR when it comes to being in front of a camera. He
>> doesn't thank the USA for giving him the opportunity,

>Why should he? He earned his way. Do we hear most other athletes
>thanking the USA or their coaches? Besides, the coaches are used to
>getting their thanks in private, what's said is usually too personal
>for the public to hear about.
>
>> In print he thanks CSC and Riis for gods sake. He doesn't thank a
>> coach or anyone,

>Riis counts for that, since he's the one that's probably helped him
>most in recent years.
>
>I for one don't want to hear some Nascar type rattle off a list of his
>sponsors and how great his brand x bike was. I thought Tyler came off
>humble and deeply happy about winning the Olympic gold medal.

I agree - Tyler is a good guy and his reaction was humble. The dog thing is
wierd, but that's at least a reasonably good thing to care about. Too many
people care about the wrong things. Compared to people dogs can be far more
loyal. I'm happy to see the guy win. As for being better than Hampston -
nope.

- Tony

psycholist <[email protected]> wrote:
> I didn't lose all respect for the guy, but I'm sure he left his mom, dad,
> wife, coach and several others with their mouths hanging open when he
> dedicated his victory to his dog. Hey, nobody's into animals any more than
> I am, but a little perspective is a good thing.

My jaw doesn't drop until I hear a Kiwi dedicate a victory to his sheep.
And maybe not even then.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

>My jaw doesn't drop until I hear a Kiwi dedicate a victory to his sheep.
>And maybe not even then.
>
>Bob Schwartz
>[email protected]

At least the sheep isn't likely to get the house in the divorce.
Bill C

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 20 Aug 2004 13:51:07 -0700, [email protected] (NPA) wrote:
>

> >Better than Hampsten?

> Not yet. If he keeps going the way he is, probably will be. But not
> yet
>
> JT

I diagree. Tyler DOES have a better record now.

Basically, Hamilton 2 Romandie cancel Hampsten's two switzerlands.
They were both 4th in the Tour and won a stage. So it comes down to:
Is a win in LBL and Olympic gold better than a Giro win?

I think it is.

-Dan

> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 20 Aug 2004 13:51:07 -0700, [email protected] (NPA) wrote:
> >

> > >Better than Hampsten?

> > Not yet. If he keeps going the way he is, probably will be. But not
> > yet
> >
> > JT

> I diagree. Tyler DOES have a better record now.
>
> Basically, Hamilton 2 Romandie cancel Hampsten's two switzerlands.

Uh, no.

> They were both 4th in the Tour and won a stage. So it comes down to:
> Is a win in LBL and Olympic gold better than a Giro win?

Not close.

-WG

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 20 Aug 2004 13:51:07 -0700, [email protected] (NPA) wrote:
>>

>> >Better than Hampsten?

>> Not yet. If he keeps going the way he is, probably will be. But not
>> yet
>>
>> JT

> I diagree. Tyler DOES have a better record now.

> Basically, Hamilton 2 Romandie cancel Hampsten's two switzerlands.
> They were both 4th in the Tour and won a stage. So it comes down to:
> Is a win in LBL and Olympic gold better than a Giro win?

> I think it is.

careful, you speak of a Giro when Iron Bobke Collapsed after the Gavia.
You give one day LBL and a single TT the edge over that?

> -Dan

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:

> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 20 Aug 2004 13:51:07 -0700, [email protected] (NPA) wrote:
> >

> > >Better than Hampsten?

> > Not yet. If he keeps going the way he is, probably will be. But not
> > yet
> >
> > JT

> I diagree. Tyler DOES have a better record now.
>
> Basically, Hamilton 2 Romandie cancel Hampsten's two switzerlands.
> They were both 4th in the Tour and won a stage. So it comes down to:
> Is a win in LBL and Olympic gold better than a Giro win?
>
> I think it is.
>
> -Dan

The TdS has long been considered the toughest tour after the TdF, Giro
and Vuelta, mostly due to the terrain and the competition. Many riders are
there to do the final tune up of their form for the TdF and to gauge the
other riders' form. So I think a win in the Tour de Suisse is generally
more desireable to have on one's palmares than Romandie.

While wins in the Olympics and LBL are certainly great, they just don't
really compare to being the best guy in a tough three week tour.

--
tanx,
Howard

I'm Mr. Nice Guy, me.