Tyres- another newbie question

WeatherGuy

Guest
Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered this
morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing the wrong
way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just use for exercise
within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real hassle to take it back to
the shop, which is in the next town, and I cannot change it over myself.

"WeatherGuy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered this
>morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing the wrong
>way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just use for exercise
>within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real hassle to take it back to
>the shop, which is in the next town, and I cannot change it over myself.

1) Just to be sure . . . The tires on my tourer each have
opposite-facing arrows on them, (<---- ---->) indicating that the
tire should be placed in one direction if mounted on the front, and in
the other direction if mounted on the back. Is this the case with
yours?

2) If not, and it's genuinely backward, fear not. Take a gander at
this article by the Jobst Brandt:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/slicks.html

Long story short: tread on a bike tire doesn't add much substantive
benefit. If the tread pattern on one of your tires is running in the
wrong direction, I think you'd be hard pressed to know it. Odds are,
the "siping" -- intended to channel water out of the tread -- will be
marginally less effective in the rain.

I'd put this on the list for the next time you stop by the shop,
but....

3) If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping the
entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
magically reverses with it :)

4) Now for the sermon: you really should be able to change this over
yourself (though you should only need to if it's the back wheel).
It's virtually the same process as changing a flat -- really an
essential skill for a cyclist.

Here's a link (or two) to guide you through the steps:

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/skills/fixflat.htm
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml

WeatherGuy wrote:
> Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered
> this morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing
> the wrong way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just
> use for exercise within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real
> hassle to take it back to the shop, which is in the next town, and I
> cannot change it over myself.

Resisting the urge to post a DIRE WARNING about this, just ride the bike.
(I'd call the shop and tell 'em they did that, however, so you can get it
switched next time you're there.)

However, why can't you change (or reverse) a tire yourself? What will you
do when you get a flat? It's really one of the most basic things every
rider -- even Maggie -- should learn how to do right from the start. Buy a
small pump, some tire levers (cheap plastic ones are fine), a spare tube or
two, a patch kit, heck even a chain (multi) tool and have the shop or a
friend show you how to use them. Sure beats walking home -- as well as
being at the mercy of an out-of-town shop.

Bill S.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:45:26 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

> 4) Now for the sermon: you really should be able to change this over
> yourself (though you should only need to if it's the back wheel). It's
> virtually the same process as changing a flat -- really an essential skill
> for a cyclist.

Amen and hallelujah on a fabulous sermon.

If you're a fragile little old lady and get a flat in your car, somebody
will certainly come and change it for you, that's what society should do
for little old ladies in enormous Cadillacs. LOL

But fit, able bodied cyclists should expect no such luxury.

I do stop and fix a flat per month for recreational cyclists around here,
but always with a friendly lecture. People always seem amazed at how
simple it is to fix, and how light and easy to carry the tools are.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> WeatherGuy wrote:
>> Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered
>> this morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing
>> the wrong way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just
>> use for exercise within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real
>> hassle to take it back to the shop, which is in the next town, and I
>> cannot change it over myself.

> Resisting the urge to post a DIRE WARNING about this, just ride the bike.
> (I'd call the shop and tell 'em they did that, however, so you can get it
> switched next time you're there.)
>
> However, why can't you change (or reverse) a tire yourself? What will you
> do when you get a flat? It's really one of the most basic things every
> rider -- even Maggie -- should learn how to do right from the start. Buy
> small pump, some tire levers (cheap plastic ones are fine), a spare tube
> or
> two, a patch kit, heck even a chain (multi) tool and have the shop or a
> friend show you how to use them. Sure beats walking home -- as well as
> being at the mercy of an out-of-town shop.
>
> Bill S.

This last weekend, I rode in a nice 100km ride, and I was frankly, very
surprised, at the number of cyclists who did not know how to do a lot of
things. If they had a problem, they pulled over and waited for one of the
SAG wagons to come fix it for them.
I was talking to a couple of guys riding along for a ways, who were really
surprised at all the stuff I brought along in case I had a problem
They simply saw no reason as a SAG wagon would take care of them. I guess
they don't ride unless they have SAG support.
Anyway, it appears to be a sign of the times, just like with automobiles,
where people just use them, and don't know anything about repairing them.
Hummm, maybe we need a new bicycle roadside assistance system like AAA for
bicycles too. You pay $25-$50 a year and a nearby SAG wagon from a bicycle
shop or something, comes to your rescue.
As for myself, I'll continue to carry along lots of extra emergency roadside
repair stuff as I am not a weight weenie anyway.

"WeatherGuy" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I
> discovered this morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall
> is pointing the wrong way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid
> bike that I just use for exercise within 10 kilometres of home.
> It would be a real hassle to take it back to the shop, which is in
> the next town, and I cannot change it over myself.

If it is a front just flip the wheel around.

WeatherGuy wrote:
> Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered this
> morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing the wrong
> way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just use for exercise
> within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real hassle to take it back to
> the shop, which is in the next town, and I cannot change it over myself.

It's a good idea, as others have stated here, to learn to be able to
swap this around. Fixing a flat should be basic bike knowledge.

However there is another issue here, what kinda dumbass installs a tyre
in the wrong direction in the first place? It shouldn't really matter,
but it is something to take up with the owner of the shop?

Neil Brooks wrote:

> If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
> this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
> release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping

the
>entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
> magically reverses with it :)

No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.

Art Harris

Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Neil Brooks wrote:
>
> > If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
> > this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
> > release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping

> the
> >entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
> > magically reverses with it :)

> No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
> That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.

If the tire was installed in the wrong direction wouldn't the label
already be on the wrong side? I would think flipping the wheel would
just put the QR lever on the "wrong" side. As others have said, not a
big deal either way if it is the front tire.

Matthew wrote:

> Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Neil Brooks wrote:
>>

>>>If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
>>>this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
>>>release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping

>>the
>>
>>>entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
>>>magically reverses with it :)

>>No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
>>That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.
>>

> If the tire was installed in the wrong direction wouldn't the label
> already be on the wrong side? I would think flipping the wheel would
> just put the QR lever on the "wrong" side. As others have said, not a
> big deal either way if it is the front tire.

He was talking about the rim label, not the tire label.
Also, the hub label would be upside down... beginner mistake.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

The Wogster wrote:

>> Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered
>> this morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing
>> the wrong way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just

> However there is another issue here, what kinda dumbass installs a tyre
> in the wrong direction in the first place?

I did that two weeks ago. Tires is complex... Or maybe I just wasn't
paying attention.

Regardless, I decided it probably didn't matter so I left it. Glad to
hear that was in fact true.

Rich

"WeatherGuy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered this
> morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing the wrong
> way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just use for
> exercise within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real hassle to take
> it back to the shop, which is in the next town, and I cannot change it
> over myself.

I appreciated all the replies to this post - clearly it is not something I
need to be concerned about.

And the sermoners are right - I should know how to fix a flat and have the
tools on the road to do it. Not something I have ever done and, being sixty,
the saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks comes to mind. I will
have an expert show this old dog - but I am sure I will be quite nervous
doing it the first time myself.

Thanks everyone.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:19:55 -0400, "WeatherGuy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered this
>morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing the wrong
>way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just use for exercise
>within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real hassle to take it back to
>the shop, which is in the next town, and I cannot change it over myself.

Generally unimportant and often considered beneficial in the case of a front
tire.

Mountain bike guys will talk all about which tire should be pointing which way
on which end of the bike.

Ron

Art Harris wrote:
> Neil Brooks wrote:
>
>> If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
>> this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
>> release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping
>> the entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
>> magically reverses with it :)

> No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
> That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.

Never thought about the rim, but I *did* lecture Neil about the HUB
graphics. Backwards there will just not do...

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:33:27 GMT, maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

>The difference with cars is that over the years, cars have become
>virtually solid state. For the first hundred thou miles, just change the
>oil. Might as well seal the hood shut. LOL

Reminds me of an old story which has nothing to do with bicycles but
is/was a bit prophetic. Back when I was driving race cars ('70s) there
was a story making the rounds about one of the owners of a top race
engine shop of the time (it could have been either Travers or Coons of
Traco) who bought a new Chevy Monte Carlo. Seems he had such faith in
the engine technology of the time he just drove it without any
maintenance at all. He finally opened the hood at about 36,000 miles
because he noticed when he started the engine it was taking a little
longer for the oil light to go off. ;-)

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Art Harris wrote:
>> Neil Brooks wrote:
>>
>>> If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
>>> this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
>>> release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping
>>> the entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
>>> magically reverses with it :)

>> No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
>> That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.

>Never thought about the rim, but I *did* lecture Neil about the HUB
>graphics. Backwards there will just not do...

Aw, Jeez. I never thought about those things. And with print
dithering on these labels, there's an additional wind-resistance issue
to factor in....

WeatherGuy is *screwed*.

Get thee to a bike shop, Man!!

(we're kidding, Weather Guy!)

maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

> I do stop and fix a flat per month for recreational cyclists around here,
> but always with a friendly lecture. People always seem amazed at how
> simple it is to fix, and how light and easy to carry the tools are.

I'm reminded of the last time I stopped to help someone with that.
They had an older bike with a bolt-on axle and the blow out in the
tube was far too large to patch. So I was stuck with this whole
bag of tools, and couldn't help her for the lack of a 15mm wrench.

:(

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Dungeons and Dragons is just a lot of Saxon Violence.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 05:31:19 -0700, Dane Jackson wrote:

> maxo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I do stop and fix a flat per month for recreational cyclists around
>> here, but always with a friendly lecture. People always seem amazed at
>> how simple it is to fix, and how light and easy to carry the tools are.

> I'm reminded of the last time I stopped to help someone with that. They
> had an older bike with a bolt-on axle and the blow out in the tube was far
> too large to patch. So I was stuck with this whole bag of tools, and
> couldn't help her for the lack of a 15mm wrench.
>
> :(

fixed a 3 inch tube gash on an xmart bike for a homeless dude that sounded
similar. Just pulled the tube out, didn't remove the wheel, used three
overlapping Rema patches while muttering, "this ain't gonna work", and it
worked.

For all I know the tube blew out again after a couple miles, but it is
possible to fix just about anything.

Speaking of which, I had a sidewall failure last week and was able to fix
it with the duct tape I always keep wound around my patch kit. Felt pretty
MacGyver. :D