UCI killed the radio star

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
The UCI is banning radios for U-23 racing. Is there any chance they will get rid of them for pros?

I am tired of watching the peloton set the perfect speed so they can reel a break in a few klicks from the line. Listening to what riders get told by follow cars in ITTs makes me hate them even more. Every upcoming undulation in the road is described along with distances to hills, the lengths of flat sections, when to drink, etc. It is ridiculous.

Bro Deal said:
The UCI is banning radios for U-23 racing. Is there any chance they will get rid of them for pros?

I am tired of watching the peloton set the perfect speed so they can reel a break in a few klicks from the line. Listening to what riders get told by follow cars in ITTs makes me hate them even more. Every upcoming undulation in the road is described along with distances to hills, the lengths of flat sections, when to drink, etc. It is ridiculous.
I saw this, and hope it finds its way into for the pros. It is akin to not allowing the coach to talk to the QB during a play in the NFL. I for one love the idea as it will end some of the formulaic racing we see now.

I'm not sure getting rid of radio's completely is a good idea. Riders having to go back to their team cars just to get instructions can be dangerous for the rider.

I would however support the idea of having only 1 radio per team. By all means ban them for the ITT's.

Eldrack said:
I'm not sure getting rid of radio's completely is a good idea. Riders having to go back to their team cars just to get instructions can be dangerous for the rider.

I would however support the idea of having only 1 radio per team. By all means ban them for the ITT's.
How would it make it dangerous for the riders???? The domestiques will just have to work harder.

Agree with everyone. Get rid of the radios. Maybe give the peleton a limited number of time checks, so at least they have a general idea of the gap to the break, say at two points in the race. Or not tell them anything.

Agreed!

At best get rid of all radios...

If the teams play the "safety card" then give everyone radios but only allow the race director to issue instructions. Dangerous descent coming up, water on road, wheel breaking dog coming up ;-) that kind of thing.

I'm also in favour of smaller teams - 9 riders can control the pace for days on end. 6 rider teams will result in more exciting racing, lower entry costs to potential sponsors (in other words more teams) and fewer allmighty teams.

Bro Deal said:
Bro> There is a chance that they will 'get rid of the pros' :)

Word is that Prudhomme is thinking about banning radios during a few of this year's TdF.

what about banning them once the first riders is within 50k of the finish?

hoggy said:
what about banning them once the first riders is within 50k of the finish?
How do you police that hoggy?? I mean if the rider's got the earpiece in his helmet... it's a bit hard to make sure the transmitter or receiver is turned off at the 50k to go mark... isn't it? Better would be to just ban 'em. Though I can see how the teams might position staff by the road and shout the time gaps at the peloton as they passed. Modern technology makes it hard to eradicate communication... because everyone has access to a TV or a phone/two way radio nowadays.

i was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that all radios were on an open channel and they are easily monitored. if they are not then yes it wouldnt be worth the trouble

How many people you need to put on a stage/race 200km long? or just in the last 50 km?

If we have a look at yesterday stage, without radio Carlstrom would never knonw that his teammate was attacking...and he would have not stay in the wheels.

poulidor said:
How many people you need to put on a stage/race 200km long? or just in the last 50 km?

If we have a look at yesterday stage, without radio Carlstrom would never knonw that his teammate was attacking...and he would have not stay in the wheels.
the proposal is that each team gets one radio and then has to decide how best to use it - I'd love to see them banned totally - they weren't around when I first got into the sport and the racing was better for it and not any unsafer.

With the current GPS which are small and light it's easy to point all the safety point, roundabouts,... and of course the race elements...

No need for radios/GPSs/any other newfangled stuff.

Race organisers on motorcycles with chalkboards are fine to get the point across to everyone.

And I agree with just about everyone else, it would make for better racing and reward the attackers more often.