1,009
From Cyclingnews:

Ulmer out of Games TT

With just minutes to go before the start of the women's time trial in the Commonwealth Games, red hot favourite Sarah Ulmer has pulled out, citing back problems.

At a pre-race press conference, a clearly upset Ulmer said, "This is what we train for and to not be able to race is gutting. But that's sport; you have extreme highs and lows."

Being forced to dropout of the time trial was dounbly disappointing for Ulmer because she has recently had excellent form. "I had a really good race in New Zealand," she said, referrring to her dominating victory in the Wellington women's World Cup on March 5.

Ulmer said she still hopes to be able to ride Sunday's road race, "and I'm very angry [about missing the time trial] so look out!"

warrwych wrote:

[chomp]

Ok, who won the girls? Kathy Watt? Nothing on CN yet and they'll be
finished very very soon ....

Bleve wrote:

> Ok, who won the girls?

They had girls as prizes?

Theo

warrwych said:
Ulmer said she still hopes to be able to ride Sunday's road race, "and I'm very angry [about missing the time trial] so look out!"

poobumwee. :(

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > Ok, who won the girls?

> They had girls as prizes?

One can but hope ... The kiwi female squad was at Glenvale on Sunday
.... not bad wheels to follow (but they don't ride friendly lines
through corners ... expect the RR to have some .. clashes ..)

Bleve said:
warrwych wrote:

[chomp]

Ok, who won the girls? Kathy Watt? Nothing on CN yet and they'll be
finished very very soon ....

I keep hitting the refresh button on CN, The Age and Womenscycling.net :(

waiting.. waiting..

Can one of the AB crew down there roadside send an sms to one of us stuck in front of a screen pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase???? :D

Bleve said:
warrwych wrote:

[chomp]

Ok, who won the girls? Kathy Watt? Nothing on CN yet and they'll be
finished very very soon ....

1. Oenone Wood
2 Kathy Watt
3. Sarah Carrigan

c/o cycling news

warrwych wrote:

> Can one of the AB crew down there roadside send an sms to one of us
> stuck in front of a screen pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase???? :D

I'm doing the next best thing ... one of my lads is down there
spectatoring ... on the phone to him now.

Oenone Wood it seems, and KW got second ... Neil's not 100% sure...
I'll confirm when he calls me back with final results.

warrwych wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > warrwych wrote:
> >
> > [chomp]
> >
> > Ok, who won the girls? Kathy Watt? Nothing on CN yet and they'll be
> > finished very very soon ....

> 1. Oenone Wood
> 2 Kathy Watt
> 3. Sarah Carrigan

Time checks :

Oenone's time was 37.40.87 for 21km.
~36km/h. Is it very windy today? Wind speed/gust 5/13km/h (av/gust)
at Mentone, due easterly (crosswind). 36km/h seems pretty slow for
21km on a flat, fast course?

Bleve wrote:
> warrwych wrote:
> > Bleve Wrote:
> > > warrwych wrote:
> > >
> > > [chomp]
> > >
> > > Ok, who won the girls? Kathy Watt? Nothing on CN yet and they'll be
> > > finished very very soon ....

> > 1. Oenone Wood
> > 2 Kathy Watt
> > 3. Sarah Carrigan
> >

> Time checks :
>
> Oenone's time was 37.40.87 for 21km.
> ~36km/h. Is it very windy today? Wind speed/gust 5/13km/h (av/gust)
> at Mentone, due easterly (crosswind). 36km/h seems pretty slow for
> 21km on a flat, fast course?

The girl who came last, from Malta, 45:59, that's ~27km/h. Was she on
a hybrid?! That's sub E1 recovery pace.

(calcs from : http://www.bx3.com/phil/tri/tricalc.php )

Bleve said:
warrwych wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > warrwych wrote:
> >
> > [chomp]
> >
> > Ok, who won the girls? Kathy Watt? Nothing on CN yet and they'll be
> > finished very very soon ....

> 1. Oenone Wood
> 2 Kathy Watt
> 3. Sarah Carrigan

Time checks :

Oenone's time was 37.40.87 for 21km.
~36km/h. Is it very windy today? Wind speed/gust 5/13km/h (av/gust)
at Mentone, due easterly (crosswind). 36km/h seems pretty slow for
21km on a flat, fast course?
29 km course

45.869 kmh

carrigan was flying but started slowing around Brighton. Carrigan and Wood were 0.91 sec different at turnaround, with Watt 20 sec behind. Channel nine bozzo had to bring up Amy Gillet in post race interview and brought Oenone to tears.

Bleve wrote:

> Bleve wrote:
> > warrwych wrote:

> > > 1. Oenone Wood
> > > 2 Kathy Watt
> > > 3. Sarah Carrigan
> > >

> > Time checks :
> >
> > Oenone's time was 37.40.87 for 21km.
> > ~36km/h. Is it very windy today? Wind speed/gust 5/13km/h (av/gust)
> > at Mentone, due easterly (crosswind). 36km/h seems pretty slow for
> > 21km on a flat, fast course?

> The girl who came last, from Malta, 45:59, that's ~27km/h. Was she on
> a hybrid?! That's sub E1 recovery pace.
>
> (calcs from : http://www.bx3.com/phil/tri/tricalc.php )

It's nice to know I'm of Commonwealth Games standard.

(For Malta)

Tam

sinus wrote:

> > 21km on a flat, fast course?

> 29 km course

Mea Culpa. I've posted approx speeds in another thread with 29km as
the right distance... I thought it didn't pass a sanity check :)

Bleve said:
Bleve wrote:
> warrwych wrote:
> > Bleve Wrote:
> > > warrwych wrote:
> > >
> > > [chomp]
> > >
> > > Ok, who won the girls? Kathy Watt? Nothing on CN yet and they'll be
> > > finished very very soon ....

> > 1. Oenone Wood
> > 2 Kathy Watt
> > 3. Sarah Carrigan
> >

> Time checks :
>
> Oenone's time was 37.40.87 for 21km.
> ~36km/h. Is it very windy today? Wind speed/gust 5/13km/h (av/gust)
> at Mentone, due easterly (crosswind). 36km/h seems pretty slow for
> 21km on a flat, fast course?

The girl who came last, from Malta, 45:59, that's ~27km/h. Was she on
a hybrid?! That's sub E1 recovery pace.

(calcs from : http://www.bx3.com/phil/tri/tricalc.php )
distance was 29km not 21km

she might not be super fast, but she average almost 38km/h.

When Wood passed, the 10km/h difference was noticable.

Bleve said:
sinus wrote:

> > 21km on a flat, fast course?

> 29 km course

Mea Culpa. I've posted approx speeds in another thread with 29km as
the right distance... I thought it didn't pass a sanity check :)
Maybe you can make up for it by providing some free training to the young Maltese girl :D

sinus said:
distance was 29km not 21km

she might not be super fast, but she average almost 38km/h.

When Wood passed, the 10km/h difference was noticable.

Stephanie Magri has been racing locally in Melb for last few months (C grade). The women's comp in Malta is very limited (ie non-existent), the men's is not much stronger, so she has done a bloody good job considering where she has come from. She has worked hard training & racing here in Melb over the last few months. All credit to her. She was there competing - we weren't.

sinus wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:

> > > 29 km course

> > Mea Culpa. I've posted approx speeds in another thread with 29km as
> > the right distance... I thought it didn't pass a sanity check :)

> Maybe you can make up for it by providing some free training to the
> young Maltese girl :D

That'd be performance-dehancing :)

Bleve said:
Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > Ok, who won the girls?

> They had girls as prizes?

One can but hope ... The kiwi female squad was at Glenvale on Sunday
.... not bad wheels to follow (but they don't ride friendly lines
through corners ... expect the RR to have some .. clashes ..)
I don't race and never have, so I write from a genuine point of ignorance.
Can you expand on what make a line frinedly, or otherwise please Carl.

Bleve wrote:

> The girl who came last, from Malta, 45:59, that's ~27km/h. Was she on
> a hybrid?! That's sub E1 recovery pace.
>
> (calcs from : http://www.bx3.com/phil/tri/tricalc.php )

I was commenting at the time that some of the spectators (probably more
than some) had better bikes than the competitors, several of them on
bikes without any kind of aero bar.

DaveB