Ultegra FD with Campy Group

Roach11

Jul 24, 2005
Hello,

Would it be possibe to use a SHimano Ultegra Front Der. with a Campy group?

They are both 10-speed components.

Thanks
Mauro

Roach11 said:
Hello,

Thanks
Mauro

Yes. It will work perfectly well. I use a Shimano 105 FD with Centaur on one of my bikes--no problems. One of the advantages of Campy Ergo is that it will shift pretty much any FD.

Roach11 said:

You can use a 9-speed Shimano front derailleur without any problems ...

BUT, the cage on the 10-speed Shimano front derailleur is narrower ...

Which means that you will probably have a tougher time preventing the chain from rubbing on the sides of the cage when the chain is on one-or-more of the cogs (depending on your crankset's chainline) -- the Campagnolo 10-speed chain is actually pretty close the Shimano 9-speed chain to the point where many people use the SRAM 89R chain with their Campagnolo 10-speed drivetrain.

So, while you can adjust the stops as necessary BECAUSE the ERGO front shifter IS indeed indifferent to the front derailleur being used (God bless Campagnolo for THAT capability!), the shifting with the 10-speed Shimano front derailleur may be dodgy with the wider chain ...

Using the 10-speed Shimano front derailleur with your 10-speed Campagnolo drivetrain would be like using an 8-speed chain with a 9-speed front derailleur ... you could do it AND it would be "okay" most of the time ... but, you MAY NOT be happy with the results. Of course, you have NOTHING TO LOSE to try it ...

Regardless, the last thing you want to do to overcome the rubbing is to use the Shimano chain because that puppy apparently has a shorter lifespan.

BTW. I also use Shimano FRONT derailleurs with my Ergo shifters ... heck, I use Shimano REAR derailleurs with my ERGO shifters, too!

Roach11 said:
Hello,

Thanks
Mauro

Oh my Gawd,, how gauche!!!

Roach11 said:
Hello,

Thanks
Mauro

What would Style Man say???