Unfair bike shop website in UK

Biktor

Jul 17, 2002
Have anyone of you heard of unfair websites bike shops in the UK?, I ordered a pair of new wheels in Xpedia.co.uk and then canceled the order the next day, they charged my credit card and never sent the wheels, almost three months have passed, many letters, faxes and phone calls I have posted but no solution to my problem. Do you know how could I get this guys to give me a refund?

I *think* your credit card company should deal with this (at least if you're in the UK -- maybe for other countries too???) -- as far as i'm aware you can take the complaint up with the cc company and they'll refund the money.

ric

I have done that, they managed to show evidence to the cc company that they sent the wheels, but actually never did.

Sadly you feel for that low price scam.

Seems you tried with the credit card company. How can they claim they sent?

Is there proof that you signed for a package? If not then how can they claim you received?

Seems you are out of luck here.

Sad to hear but nothing new. This will happen more and more now that people are buying items overseas as they are advertised cheaper and as you can see different country different rules.

Yes, I tried that already Xavier, and I don't exactly know how was it possible for them to get rid off the credit company. And about your advise, that's the lesson I've learned, some websites in the UK do not cover refunds in their return polices, and if your not aware of that you are risking your money. Hope, this would create some sort of an advice to other ciclying folks.

Well, sadly I have tried to point this out to many buyers but most fall for the super low prices quoted.

All you can do is warn others if you feel like it. But believe me. It willnot make a difference. When people see low prices they jump on the deal.

They also forget high freight charges and custom fees.

I have also been let done by Xpedia.co.uk TWICE!!! I gave them a second chance and they still tuck my money. I contacted the credit card company and they got me a full refund. I think it is called a charge back.

I will try to get the item, even though I don't need it any more, and maybe they will send it and then sell it myself. Hopfully we can gather some attention a get someone from any cycling magazine to advertise others about websites like this one.

I have just used ribblecycles.co.uk maybe give this site a try as they have always been very good on price and delivery.

Biktor, Blert,

Sadly it does no good to tell others or even shut down. They simply change name and keep on doing it.

As long as people see good deals they will fall for this.

Even in the USA there are sites that do this. Not often but every once in a while as to not stick out and really get flamed.

Even if you got the product it would carry no warranty. That is hoping it was in good condition.

I have gotten many calls from people that buy items overseas and get wrong sizes and colours. They later find out it would cost them hundreds to send back and on top of that hope they send you the right item back.

Just buy in the USA where we have laws and products can be had with service and warranty. Plus you support USA and keep jobs here.

I can't comment on xpedia's overseas shipping
or on the standard of their international service.

The cases above of customers being let down are TOTALLY the opposite to my experience.

I use xpedia frequently (and to be honest),
their UK customer service and delivery are the epitomy of excellent.

Again their overseas ordering may be different.

When a company does something well, treat their customers as "customers" and not just as a short route to money - they should be commended -
if you want a really bad UK retailer and one that threatens to sue you if you post "upsetting" comments on news groups (YES TRUE - CAN YOU BELIEVE ) then ...........................read rec.sport.triathlon

the company is tryuk

Legal note.

1) I do not have any association with any persons(s) who have/ do post "upsetting" comments on new groups or the triathletes-uk egroup
1a) tryuk in the above post does not have any relationship in any way to the well respected company in the uk called triuk - any relationship is pure coincidence. tryuk is a fictious company.
2) I do NOT work for or have any association with xpedia.com - my only relationship is as a satisfied and loyal customer.
3) by reading any letter of any word in the above message you have voided your right to sue me for upsetting comments in any country in the world - period.

Well, I have to say that I'm intrigued by the posts made here regarding xpedia. I very nearly bought a bike from them but I ended up opting for a bike from ribble cycles, whose service was entirely satisfactory.

Most of what I would say has been covered in the posts. However, I know that xpedia advertise in Cycling Weekly and so if you wrote a stinky letter to them, they might publish it and this would generate negative advertising for the company.

Generally speaking, I've bought many items via mail order from several different bike shops and, fingers crossed, I haven't encountered problems from any of them.

I am the originator of this thread and like to say that I finally got my problem solved. What I did was that I had to accept the wheels and they sent them, I got them in no more than three days, so I agree with you ecce_ecce, they do have a really good delivery system and now I can say that, but unfortunatelly their account department lets much to desire and once again just like to stress that if you don't find the refunding policy in any web site you better think it over before buying there.

>that if you don't find the refunding policy in any web site

>you better think it over before buying there.

This is a very important point - I shall remeber this in future, as I buy lots of stuff online.

communication breakdown as so often. but they really got to
have better internal communication-lines they as well, from
experience.

Originally posted by Biktor
I am the originator of this thread and like to say that I finally got my problem solved. What I did was that I had to accept the wheels and they sent them, I got them in no more than three days, so I agree with you ecce_ecce, they do have a really good delivery system and now I can say that, but unfortunatelly their account department lets much to desire and once again just like to stress that if you don't find the refunding policy in any web site you better think it over before buying there.
:D

I live in Norway and have experienced some problems with buying from abroad on the Internet. But things usually get solved if you fuss about them and if you adress your complaints to the
General Manager, it always helps.

Problems with sizes and colors, yes that might happend or you get another brand of somewhat, which may do the job, but not what you wanted.

I have found out that to test if a company, on Internet or where you live etc. is good, is to test them for small parts.
Are they willing to get you such parts in the hurry you reaaly are in, then they are good. If they do noy want or it takes a very long time, buzz off! That is my experience. Everyone can sell you a bike,
but what if you crash and need a replaceable droput (gear hanmger) or an axle for a hub or even a cone for the hub????
What then?

Originally posted by xavier
Biktor, Blert,

Sadly it does no good to tell others or even shut down. They simply change name and keep on doing it.

As long as people see good deals they will fall for this.

Even in the USA there are sites that do this. Not often but every once in a while as to not stick out and really get flamed.

Even if you got the product it would carry no warranty. That is hoping it was in good condition.

I have gotten many calls from people that buy items overseas and get wrong sizes and colours. They later find out it would cost them hundreds to send back and on top of that hope they send you the right item back.

Just buy in the USA where we have laws and products can be had with service and warranty. Plus you support USA and keep jobs here.

that's a good tip ovi, thanks, but some times these guys put a temporary sale items and you have to decide right away to take advantage of the discount and this was my case. Those wheels were a bargain when I bought them, anyway, that experience has long pass and hopefully some others in this forum read and learn from our experience. Don't matter how serious a website looks and no matter if your buying and what it seems to be a very "civilized country" there is people all over the world that just can't act in a very ethic manner. Thanks again...

Originally posted by Biktor

a very last comment on it! even if problem was solved, weeks went by!
what if you really needed them quite straight away.
they say on their site that goods should reach with a handfull of
days, almost anywhere in the world. true enough, when they ship the goods.
they are quick to charge cards, but then nothing may happen.
i have bought goods there, and it was rather difficult.
i will never use them again. rather stop riding!:D

Yes, you got that right ovi, and if you've decided never to buy anything there again good for you!!!, and believe me I wouldn't buy a single cable cap in xpedia again. At the end I got at least someone to read about my bad experience in that website store, that was my main objective when I started this thread, thanks for sharing your experience with me and many others,... never quit!

can you recommend Ribble Cycles?

Originally posted by dannyfrankszzz
Well, I have to say that I'm intrigued by the posts made here regarding xpedia. I very nearly bought a bike from them but I ended up opting for a bike from ribble cycles, whose service was entirely satisfactory.

Most of what I would say has been covered in the posts. However, I know that xpedia advertise in Cycling Weekly and so if you wrote a stinky letter to them, they might publish it and this would generate negative advertising for the company.

Generally speaking, I've bought many items via mail order from several different bike shops and, fingers crossed, I haven't encountered problems from any of them.