Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

unopened glue dries out?

Started by Ben Pfaff · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,546 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 February 2006
Last activity
4 February 2006
Original author
Ben Pfaff
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,546
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I got a two year old Monkey Grip kit with no dried up
    glue.

  2. Quoted message said:
    Ben Pfaff said:

    I had a flat today. When I pulled out my (pretty old) patch kit, I
    had to pierce the tube of glue, which was still factory sealed. The
    tube appeared to be empty: even when I rolled the whole tube from
    its bottom to the pierced end, I couldn't get anything out. I
    assume this means that it dried out while it was sealed. Is that
    normal? How old can an unopened tube of glue be before I should
    consider throwing it out?

    As with other things in the bicycle business, these glue tubes have
    failed for ever and ever while manufacturers delude themselves into
    believing the users don't put the cap on properly. I can show you
    tube of glue, be that tire patch glue or tubular rim cement, that
    dried out without the metal in the screw cap end ever being pierced.

    These folks will tell you that "Hey! Who knows more about glue, we
    who have been in the business fore eons, or some punk bicyclists who
    can't properly screw on the cap?" The volatile essence of the glue
    doesn't go through metal but it does leak through a pressure crimp at
    the base of the tube, both from temperature and atmospheric pressure
    change and the partial pressure laws that make it want to get out.

    How long do these folks believe the tube would hold air if inflated?
    Not at all! Well the evaporated solvent is no more viscous than air.

    I actually ended up at my LBS, buying a tube of rim cement and popping it at the
    front counter to prove to them that the two tubes they'd sold me were pre-dried.
    Jerks
    Ron

  3. Bob said:

    I use a 3M rubber cement and a piece of a donor tube for a patch (glue
    on both surfaces). Does that make me a bad boy?

    Rubber fetishist.

  4. Sharp way of doing things if I may say so

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bob said:

    I use a 3M rubber cement and a piece of a donor tube for a patch (glue
    on both surfaces). Does that make me a bad boy?

    Rubber fetishist.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.