UK and Europe · Public discussion

Unwanted downshifts over bumps

Started by Duncan Smith · · Last activity · 8 posts · 697 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 May 2008
Last activity
5 May 2008
Original author
Duncan Smith
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
697
Views / 30 days
13

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Gears on the MTB (Shimano XT) are all set up nice, instant changes, no
    noise - perfect on the road. But when pedalling over bumps (pot
    holes, off road etc) the chain-ring deraillieur has a tendancy to down-
    shift by one towards the inner-most sprocket.

    This is confimed in the trigger pod window as it will either have
    moved from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1. To make sure I wasn't knocking the
    trigger I fisted the left handlebar grip - still does it.

    Any thoughts on where I should be looking to solve the problem - in
    the pod or at the mech??

    Many thanks,

    Duncan

  2. Duncan Smith said:

    Gears on the MTB (Shimano XT) are all set up nice, instant changes, no
    noise - perfect on the road. But when pedalling over bumps (pot
    holes, off road etc) the chain-ring deraillieur has a tendancy to
    down- shift by one towards the inner-most sprocket.

    This is confimed in the trigger pod window as it will either have
    moved from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1. To make sure I wasn't knocking the
    trigger I fisted the left handlebar grip - still does it.

    Any thoughts on where I should be looking to solve the problem - in
    the pod or at the mech??

    Look at the cable and cable guides first of all, or flex or anything that
    could cause the cable to slacken.

    Btw, even though it's physically down to a smaller sprocket, it always seems
    odd to me to call shifting to a higher gear "downshifting".

    ~PB

  3. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Duncan Smith said:

    Gears on the MTB (Shimano XT) are all set up nice, instant changes, no
    noise - perfect on the road. But when pedalling over bumps (pot
    holes, off road etc) the chain-ring deraillieur has a tendancy to
    down- shift by one towards the inner-most sprocket.

    This is confimed in the trigger pod window as it will either have
    moved from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1. To make sure I wasn't knocking the
    trigger I fisted the left handlebar grip - still does it.

    Any thoughts on where I should be looking to solve the problem - in
    the pod or at the mech??

    Look at the cable and cable guides first of all, or flex or anything that
    could cause the cable to slacken.

    Btw, even though it's physically down to a smaller sprocket, it always
    seems odd to me to call shifting to a higher gear "downshifting".

    Maybe - but it's his front shifter which is having the problems :-)

    cheers,
    clive

  4. Duncan Smith said:

    Gears on the MTB (Shimano XT) are all set up nice, instant changes, no
    noise - perfect on the road. But when pedalling over bumps (pot
    holes, off road etc) the chain-ring deraillieur has a tendancy to down-
    shift by one towards the inner-most sprocket.

    This is confimed in the trigger pod window as it will either have
    moved from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1. To make sure I wasn't knocking the
    trigger I fisted the left handlebar grip - still does it.

    Any thoughts on where I should be looking to solve the problem - in
    the pod or at the mech??

    The mech spring will be trying to pull towards the innermost sprocket
    anyway, and the only thing that restrains it is the pod. Logically,
    therefore, the mech is fine since it's doing exactly what it is
    supposed to do. (The only fault it could have would be that the
    spring was too strong, but that seems unlikely.)

    This, and the fact that the gear indicator changes as well, puts
    suspicion on the pod. Sounds like some clamping / restraining
    doohickey has worn out, but the innards of these things are not the
    domain of mortal man, at least not this one, so I can't offer any more
    insight. Shimano aren't known for making their components user-
    serviceable though, so I reckon you might be needing a new pod.

    Colin

  5. Clive George said:

    "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Duncan Smith said:

    Gears on the MTB (Shimano XT) are all set up nice, instant changes,
    no noise - perfect on the road. But when pedalling over bumps (pot
    holes, off road etc) the chain-ring deraillieur has a tendancy to
    down- shift by one towards the inner-most sprocket.

    This is confimed in the trigger pod window as it will either have
    moved from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1. To make sure I wasn't knocking
    the trigger I fisted the left handlebar grip - still does it.

    Any thoughts on where I should be looking to solve the problem - in
    the pod or at the mech??

    Look at the cable and cable guides first of all, or flex or anything
    that could cause the cable to slacken.

    Btw, even though it's physically down to a smaller sprocket, it
    always seems odd to me to call shifting to a higher gear
    "downshifting".

    Sorry, I'd don't know what's happening to my brain these days. I was indeed
    thinking of rear shifting there.

    Anyway the advice remains the same. First of all, check for anything that
    could be causing the cable tension to momentarily slacken.

    ~PB

  6. Colin MacDonald said:
    Duncan Smith said:

    Gears on the MTB (Shimano XT) are all set up nice, instant changes, no
    noise - perfect on the road. But when pedalling over bumps (pot
    holes, off road etc) the chain-ring deraillieur has a tendancy to down-
    shift by one towards the inner-most sprocket.

    This is confimed in the trigger pod window as it will either have
    moved from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1. To make sure I wasn't knocking the
    trigger I fisted the left handlebar grip - still does it.

    Any thoughts on where I should be looking to solve the problem - in
    the pod or at the mech??

    The mech spring will be trying to pull towards the innermost sprocket
    anyway, and the only thing that restrains it is the pod. Logically,
    therefore, the mech is fine since it's doing exactly what it is
    supposed to do. (The only fault it could have would be that the
    spring was too strong, but that seems unlikely.)

    This, and the fact that the gear indicator changes as well, puts
    suspicion on the pod. Sounds like some clamping / restraining
    doohickey has worn out, but the innards of these things are not the
    domain of mortal man, at least not this one, so I can't offer any more
    insight. Shimano aren't known for making their components user-
    serviceable though, so I reckon you might be needing a new pod.

    Colin

    You might be able to confirm this - while off the bike, try to re-create
    the downshift by whacking the pod only.

  7. In article
    <[email hidden]>

    Duncan Smith said:

    MTB (Shimano XT)

    I'm not familiar with your components, but I have experienced similar
    symptoms, and it was down to the lever.
    In my scenario it was a rear derailleur changing up by itself. It was
    really annoying and caused a couple of crashes. It got so bad a small
    disturbance to the cable (like turning the bars) would change gear. Took
    me a while to identify the guilty component - Suntour thumb shifter - it
    just wouldn't stay in the 'click' positions. A workaround is to switch to
    friction mode instead of index mode.
    G.


  8. Quoted message said:


    I'm not familiar with your components, but I have experienced similar
    symptoms, and it was down to the lever.
    In my scenario it was a rear derailleur changing up by itself. It was
    really annoying and caused a couple of crashes. It got so bad a small
    disturbance to the cable (like turning the bars) would change gear. Took
    me a while to identify the guilty component - Suntour thumb shifter - it
    just wouldn't stay in the 'click' positions. A workaround is to switch to
    friction mode instead of index mode.
    G.

    Cheers, I don't think there's a friction switch on the XT pods any
    more (if there ever were?). Last time I saw one of those was on my
    hack that had a Shimano Biopace groupset - a very nice feature too,
    pity they're not that common any more...

    Regards,

    Duncan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.