Update from the chicken girly newbie (longish)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 04:57:44 GMT, Mr. E. Mann wrote:

> It would be a good idea to learn to work on your own bike. It will save you a lot of time and
> money, and it comes in real handy when you have trouble on a trail. Most of this stuff is real
> simple, it just looks hard to do. I recommend the book "Zinn and the art of mountain bike
> maintenence".

Truth. That is a good book, and working on your bike saves a lot of money. I'm not overly
mechanically inclined, but I've never found working on the bike to be very difficult.

Technician wrote:
>> Penny
>>

> secure.
>
> And BTW, backwards miles are counted just the same as normal miles. the spedo simply counts the
> number of times the magnet passes beneath the sensor, and applies some math to convert it to the
> correct units (ie, Mph, Kph). if the magnet goes forwards, backwards, or maybe you just jiggle the
> wheel back and forth so the magnet repeatedly passes under the sensor, either way, it is still
> passing beneath the sensor.
>
> ~Travis

uh, yes I had figured that out....

p.

> Technician wrote:
> >> Penny
> >>

> > secure.
> >
> > And BTW, backwards miles are counted just the same as normal miles. the spedo simply counts the
> > number of times the magnet passes beneath the sensor, and applies some math to convert it to the
> > correct units (ie, Mph, Kph). if the magnet goes forwards, backwards, or maybe you just jiggle
> > the wheel back and forth so the magnet repeatedly passes under the sensor, either way, it is
> > still passing beneath the sensor.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> uh, yes I had figured that out....
>
> p.

He he, that's when my parents usualy say "yes mister wizard". My parents thus proposed the nickname
"Merlin", though i doubt i could compete with the historic figure.

~Travis
--
To reply by email, remove clothes.

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

Technician wrote:

>>> secure.
>>>
>>> And BTW, backwards miles are counted just the same as normal miles. the spedo simply counts the
>>> number of times the magnet passes beneath the sensor, and applies some math to convert it to the
>>> correct units (ie, Mph, Kph). if the magnet goes forwards, backwards, or maybe you just jiggle
>>> the wheel back and forth so the magnet repeatedly passes under the sensor, either way, it is
>>> still passing beneath the sensor.
>>>
>>> ~Travis
>>
>> uh, yes I had figured that out....
>>
>> p.
>>

> He he, that's when my parents usualy say "yes mister wizard". My parents thus proposed the
> nickname "Merlin", though i doubt i could compete with the historic figure.

*yawn*

"Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> mile later than I thought it was. Ooops! When we found it and got past both hills (we both failed
> to climb the first and both succeeded on the second), I tried to get him to go ahead of me. No
> go. But, a bit after was a point where he just ended up ahead of me, and I stayed back when he
> tried to wave me forward. I mastered this highly subtle technique from my hiking partner, Fred.
> Fred's done this to give me confidence when I'm doing tough hikes. Mike had seen me follow the
> trail markers, and he'd seen the "worst" of the climbs, so, there was nothing he couldn't deal
> with up ahead.
>
> I have to say, he lit out like a donkey with his tail on fire. I don't know if he's been eating
> his Wheaties or what, but, he was just zooming along. So, of course, not wanting to be the
> candyassed girl who was left behind, I tried to match my pace with his. *AND I DID IT*. This just
> goes to show I *was* being candyassed all along about my speed.
>
> There was nothing too significant for a good part of the hike, except that Mike tried riding over
> a log obstacle and *almost* fell on his ass. And, he complained about some jouncy bits of the
> trail, so, I offered to switch seats (I have an ergonomic gel seat), but, our seatposts were
> different sizes by like a millimeter or two, which meant it couldn't happen.
>
> But, the true beauty was when we were working our way down the extended final descent, and Mike
> suddenly swerved to one side, and then his bike went to the right, and his body flipped over the
> handlebars to the left.
>
> I'm a bit ashamed to report that my first thought was "Gosh, I wish I had my camera" and only my
> SECOND was to wonder if he was "okay". He was. He was actually laughing over it. I'm a bit amazed
> that he was undamaged by the fall (as was his brother's bike) because both of them were entangled
> in four trees that were close together. How his head or joints avoided contact with all of them is
> a mystery worthy of Sherlock Holmes.
>
> A bit further along the same descent, I was able to get into proper "attack position", and not
> fall (or even just feel "wobbly") for several seconds. I think all the responses from people
> in the group helped. I have alot of trouble with this, so, I'm proud to have been able to do
> it at all.
>
> My computer still wasn't working. I might bring my bike in tomorrow. The battery's not dead -- the
> numbers are still there. They just don't change. I think maybe a wire is loose somewhere.
>
> Mike and I are supposed to meet again tomorrow for another ride. He wants to do the loop twice. I
> think he's hooked :).
>
> Gwen
>
> --
> Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
> across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice

This is a wind-up, right? How do you tighten a chain? What can it have to do with your odometer?