Upgrade from SPD to ?

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:40:33 -0400, Mark Heiple <[email protected]> wrote:
> My bike originally came with SPD road pedals (single sided, ICON I think)
> . They were also a pain to click into - same hunting around problem tryng to find it. Plus being
> single sided, and not weighted in any way, I was always flipping them over. Seemed like they
> were always upside down when trying to clip in.

That's exactly the description of the Wellgo R4 pedals that came on my road bike, except that mine
were SPD-R. I have nothing to add to your description.

I think that clipless pedals that come with a bike, at least for road bikes, may well be gaurunteed
to be ****.

> That's why I got the Rockwerks - double sided. They solved the flipping the pedals over problem,
> but not the hunting around problem. I finally got to the point where I could usually keep the
> hunting around to a minimum, but still annoying.

Those must be terrible too.

It could also be the shoes.

I can tell you this: Shimano PD-M545 SPD pedals, with Shimano I-can't-read-the-model-number hiking
style boots (with recessed cleat), fall into place. I put them on the pedal, I ride, it is clicked
in without a though scant moments after applying foot to pedal.

> Now that the pedals and/or cleats are worn enough that I'm pulling out, I want to try something
> else instead of staying with SPD.

It's worth a try. While SPD works so well for so many, maybe it just doesn't work for you; possibly
you move your foot differently. Either way, no sense in trying too hard with something you're not
happy with.

If nothing else works for you, you'll try SPDs again when you're ready. If something else works for
you, you'll be very happy.

--
Rick Onanian