upgrade question: triple -> double

ploit

Oct 19, 2003
Hello, i'm currently riding on a triple with 105 components. I'm a newbie when it comes to bike hardware, so bear with me if this question seems a little lame-brained...

I'd like to put a double chainring on my bike to replace the current triple. Are there other components I would need to change other than the crankset to go to a double?

could I put an ultegra crankset on a 105 bottom bracket?

Since i can't afford to upgrade all my components at once, is it feasible to upgrade my parts to ultegra one at a time? and if so, are most parts of a drivetrain specific to either a double or triple, or can they be interchanged between the two (double/triple)?

Originally posted by ploit
Hello, i'm currently riding on a triple with 105 components. I'm a newbie when it comes to bike hardware, so bear with me if this question seems a little lame-brained...

I'd like to put a double chainring on my bike to replace the current triple. Are there are other components I would need to change other than the crankset to go to a double?

could I put an ultegra crankset on a 105 bottom bracket?

Since i can't afford to upgrade all my components at once, is it feasible to upgrade my parts to ultegra one at a time? and if so, are most parts of a drivetrain specific to either a double or triple, or can they be interchanged between the two (double/triple)?
The triple uses a 118.5mm BB spindle you need a 109.5 BB for the double crank to get correct chainline. Your other stuff will work, but a double FD and short cage RD may work better.

And yes, you can put Ultegra cranks on a 105 BB (well, if it's all relatively recent stuff you can - I dunno about older stuff), and you can upgrade parts one at a time, subject to the above caveats about FD and BB spindle length. RD, chain and cassette, and brakes are all double/triple-independent (well, short cage RD with wide cassette and triple chainset might struggle), and 105/Ultegra are fully intermixable.

awesome, you guys are a big help! i'll look into getting an ultegra crankset and BB; i'm so glad that most of the components are double/triple independent. thanks!