Upgrading Components

HectorM52

Jul 19, 2004
I've currently got an older bike. I honestly know NOTHING about it. I've ridden it a few times - it works pretty well. BUT, I want to upgade to some newer components - maybe Ultegra or 105's (referred to me by a friend).

What I need to know is if it is possible to go from an 8-speed cassette to a 9- or 10-speed cassette.

I really hate the current shifters I have, they are down on the frame... I want the shifters up on the brake levers. I've searched ebay and the classifieds and found what I might need. Sounds like I can get the cassette, get the shifters, and be in business!

Is this possible?

8 speed rear hub handles a 9/10 speed cassette no problem. Rear derailler should suffice. Shift/brake levers will run you about $150 or so assuming you stick with 9 speed 105 level.

capwater said:
8 speed rear hub handles a 9/10 speed cassette no problem. Rear derailler should suffice. Shift/brake levers will run you about $150 or so assuming you stick with 9 speed 105 level.
Does anyone have a 9-speed cassette for sale? Looking for something cheap...

Also, what else will I have to replace, I'm thinking the chain too???

Thanks!
Adam

HectorM52 said:
Does anyone have a 9-speed cassette for sale? Looking for something cheap...

Also, what else will I have to replace, I'm thinking the chain too???

Thanks!
Adam

9 speed 105 level cassettes brand new from Nashbar are about $35 or you can try to snag a gently used or even new one off eBay if you are patient.

You'll need a 9 speed chain, too. SRAMs are reasonably priced and come with a nifty quick disconnect link.