Upper Body Muscle Atrophy

DaveH <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Losing bulk and/or strength? I think both. I really do not know.
> Dave
>
> On 24 Sep 2004 15:30:18 -0700, [email protected] (gds) wrote:
>
> >DaveH <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >> 45 yo, 4 months back into cycling after 20 years. Heavy drinking and
> >> cigarette free for about same period. 203- 193 lbs.
> >>
> >> Riding 60-80 miles a week. About 16 mph on flats. I battle hills in
> >> such a way that my legs are usually pumped after a ride.
> >>
> >> My legs have undergone a rather astonishing transformation. Thighs and
> >> calves clearly responding; but seemingly simultaneously, my upper body
> >> muscles--especially arms--have atrophied. It's like muscle tissue is
> >> being transferred from top to bottom. Thoughts?
> >> Dave

> >Before making any recommendations there is a basic question. Are you
> >losing upper body strength or just bulk. The two are not necessarily
> >related. And depending on the answer quite different solutions are
> >needed.

OK well you should try to figure it out. Becasue if you are losing
bulk but not strength that might be a good thing and little adjustment
is needed. But if you are losing strength then you may want to add
some upper body exersize to your routine.
If you have any idea what you were able to do in terms of bench press,
number of pushups. dips, pull ups etc. you can test yourself and
determine if you are stronger/weaker/the same. As I said what you
might want to do about it may be different depending on the results
and where you want to go.