Road Cycling · Public discussion

VDB suicide attempt

Started by Annelies · · Last activity · 46 posts · 1,304 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 June 2007
Last activity
10 June 2007
Original author
Annelies
Posts
46
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,304
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 46
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Kurgan Gringioni said:

    Did either one of those guys ever do anything to help anyone other
    than themselves?

    Pantani, VdB, and Graeme Obree all brought a lot of joy and excitement
    to my life. I think that helps.

  2. * "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email hidden]> a écrit

    Quoted message said:

    "> > Ugh. Bad news. Hope he can exorcise his demons.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    i always had a feeling something like this would happen....he never was
    the most stable guy in the world. cycling is a sport that seems to eat
    its young.


    ---------
    most die of heart attacks by age 50. All of us are at risk, for riding as
    much as we have. The heart only has so many beats in it.


    The heart is a muscle

    it improves with - reasonable - use

    --
    Le vent à Dos
    Davey Crockett [No 4Q to reply]

  3. Quoted message said:
    Kurgan Gringioni said:

    Did either one of those guys ever do anything to help anyone other
    than themselves?

    Dumbass,

    Cycling is entertainment, and both those guys were entertainers.

    Yeah, I did like watching VdB ride. Pantani, not so much.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  4. Kurgan Gringioni said:


    I am with you brother!

    There are sooooo many more people in this world more deserving of
    sympathy than those two characters. For whatever reason, the great
    mass of people in the bike racing fanbase don't see it that way.

    I hadn't realized that the "bike racing fanbase" (WTF?) was your
    guiding light for compassion. Pitiful comes to mind - that's like
    sympathy without the compassion.

    Quoted message said:

    Did either one of those guys ever do anything to help anyone other
    than themselves?

    Right. We could have races stop at Habitat for Humanity sites and the
    riders could all jump off and swing some hammers. Or maybe a soup
    kitchen where they could volunteer to feed the homeless. If that
    works for you, let me know, and I'll write a letter.

    R

  5. RicodJour said:

    Right. We could have races stop at Habitat for Humanity sites and the
    riders could all jump off and swing some hammers. Or maybe a soup
    kitchen where they could volunteer to feed the homeless. If that
    works for you, let me know, and I'll write a letter.

    Why not keep it on rbr topic and have a race against global warming. First
    prize is a months supply of andoulette and you get to throw a cream cake
    at Kunich's head. Anyone testing positive for EPO or Viagra will be
    sentenced to a night of passion with Tammy Thomas.

  6. On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 23:15:26 +0200, "benjo maso" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think it has much to do with cycling. Vdb showed many of the classic
    symptoms of a bipolar disorder.

    "Vandenbroucke was once was the third-ranked cyclist in the world, but
    he has not won a race since 2004 and rides for a second-tier Italian
    team.

    The team’s director, Palmiro Masciarelli, told The Associated Press
    that Vandenbroucke had attempted to slit a vein but ended up only
    making “harmless cuts” on his arm. Vandenbroucke, who has a history of
    erratic behavior, was despondent because his marriage had collapsed,
    Masciarelli said."

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/08/sports/othersports/08cycling.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Annelies said:

    according to la gazzetta he attempted suicide yesterday....aiaiaiai

    Ugh. Bad news. Hope he can exorcise his demons.

    You mean by signing on here and seeing what little identity he had remaining
    being butchered by people here who couldn't hold his wheel when he was
    riding as slow as he could?

  8. "benjo maso" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    i always had a feeling something like this would happen....he never was
    the most stable guy in the world. cycling is a sport that seems to eat
    its young.

    I don't think it has much to do with cycling. Vdb showed many of the
    classic symptoms of a bipolar disorder.

    While that's true, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine mixed together could
    make Jesus bipolar.

  9. "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "> > Ugh. Bad news. Hope he can exorcise his demons.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    i always had a feeling something like this would happen....he never was
    the most stable guy in the world. cycling is a sport that seems to eat
    its young.


    ---------
    most die of heart attacks by age 50. All of us are at risk, for riding as
    much as we have. The heart only has so many beats in it.

    And the eyes can only take so many of your rediculous postings.

  10. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Jun 8, 1:04 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Mental illness is not joke.

    That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Right. The public is only supposed to show sympathy when they're
    actually dead, until then, it does its best to destroy them.

    Ilan, I've always found you to be of particular intelligence. I hope you
    continue posting here at least as long as I'm reading.

  11. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Jun 8, 1:04 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Mental illness is not joke.

    That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Quoted message said:


    Right. The public is only supposed to show sympathy when they're
    actually dead, until then, it does its best to destroy them.

    I frankly wouldn't have much sympathy if he'd died. A little perhaps,
    but I've got a little now. Pantani I have almost no sympathy for.

    Sorry if that sounds cold, but while I love VdBs style on the bike, I
    don't like how selfish the guy has been.

    Pot Belg does that to people. And the money crits after the Tour were
    invented for pot Belg.

  12. Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Jun 8, 1:04 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Mental illness is not joke.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Quoted message said:

    Right. The public is only supposed to show sympathy when they're
    actually dead, until then, it does its best to destroy them.

    Ilan, I've always found you to be of particular intelligence. I hope you
    continue posting here at least as long as I'm reading.

    Ilan, take one for the team. 😉

    R

  13. Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "benjo maso" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think it has much to do with cycling. Vdb showed many of the
    classic symptoms of a bipolar disorder.

    While that's true, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine mixed together could
    make Jesus bipolar.

    You can't know that - you're just guessing.

    R

  14. Kurgan Gringioni said:

    On Jun 7, 5:12 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Jun 8, 1:04 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    > Mental illness is not joke.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    > in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Right. The public is only supposed to show sympathy when they're
    actually dead, until then, it does its best to destroy them.

    Quoted message said:

    I frankly wouldn't have much sympathy if he'd died. A little perhaps,
    but I've got a little now. Pantani I have almost no sympathy for.

    Dumbass -

    I am with you brother!

    There are sooooo many more people in this world more deserving of
    sympathy than those two characters. For whatever reason, the great
    mass of people in the bike racing fanbase don't see it that way.

    Did either one of those guys ever do anything to help anyone other
    than themselves?

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

    It's human nature. When it's a friend, family member, or someone in
    something you care about it's a tragedy, when it's someone else it's a
    statistic.
    I have a ton of sympathy for both of them but I'm fascinated, then
    amazed or apalled by what happens to people in a pressure cooker.
    Cycling was their lives since they were kids. People grabbed them and
    ran with them, put tons of expectations and responsibilities on them,
    and they couldn't handle it, but realistically had no chance to do
    anything to replace all the things cycling was to them and brought
    them.
    The most fascinating thing about military history, to me, is how
    people dealt with what was going on and what decisions they made. In
    the end everything is a "human" story and any person who melts down,
    or is in trouble that doesn't purposely damage other people deserves
    sympathy IMO.
    He may have been better off had he succeeded. Just having a heartbeat
    and brain activity doesn't mean you are living. When every day is full
    of pain and misery then dieing isn't always a tragedy.
    Bill C

  15. in message <[email hidden]>,

    Crescentius Vespasianus (') said:


    "> > Ugh. Bad news. Hope he can exorcise his demons.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    i always had a feeling something like this would happen....he never was
    the most stable guy in the world. cycling is a sport that seems to eat
    its young.


    ---------
    most die of heart attacks by age 50. All of us are at risk, for riding
    as
    much as we have. The heart only has so many beats in it.

    Rubbish. Cyclists live on average 6 years longer than non-cyclists,
    according to the BMA.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
    ;; education and catastrophe.
    H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

  16. "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, John Forrest

    Tomlinson (') said:

    Mental illness is not joke.

    That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Can you suggest for us a situation in which depression is unlikely to take
    hold?

    If you're having money thrown at you, are subject to public adjulation, have
    girls swarming you and - oh wait - VDB had all those things and still got
    sick.

    OBVIOUSLY it's all his fault.

  17. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, John Forrest

    Tomlinson (') said:

    Mental illness is not joke.

    That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Can you suggest for us a situation in which depression is unlikely to take
    hold?

    When you don't dump a long-time girlfriend and then [censored] your
    wife, and jump from team to team along the way, doing drugs.

    That kind of situation.

    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  18. * Simon Brooke <[email hidden]> a écrit

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>,

    Crescentius Vespasianus (') said:


    "> > Ugh. Bad news. Hope he can exorcise his demons.

    Quoted message said:

    >

    i always had a feeling something like this would happen....he never was
    the most stable guy in the world. cycling is a sport that seems to eat
    its young.


    ---------
    most die of heart attacks by age 50. All of us are at risk, for riding
    as
    much as we have. The heart only has so many beats in it.

    Rubbish. Cyclists live on average 6 years longer than non-cyclists,
    according to the BMA.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
    ;; education and catastrophe.
    H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

    I was sure that I'd read somewhere that the average age at death for a
    top competative cyclist was 56 or 58 years.

    I tried searching but came up with nothing to substantiate it, but
    there are some quite interesting statistics etc. here:

    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/pedal_h.htm

    --
    Le vent à Dos
    Davey Crockett [No 4Q to reply]
    -
    Always Fly Yorkshire Airlines
    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3610949054709282698

  19. On 6/9/07 9:41 AM, in article [email hidden],

    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, John Forrest

    Tomlinson (') said:

    Mental illness is not joke.

    That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Can you suggest for us a situation in which depression is unlikely to take
    hold?

    When you don't dump a long-time girlfriend and then [censored] your
    wife, and jump from team to team along the way, doing drugs.

    That kind of situation.

    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm with Kunich and the others on this
    one.

    Speaking from personal experience, depression is a disease ... And while
    it's not an excuse for bad behavior, it is often the cause of it.

    VDB most likely isn't depressed as a result of dumping his long-time
    girlfriend, jumping from team to team, and doing drugs ... He most likely
    did all those things BECAUSE he was suffering from depression.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea eye tee why you ti ay aitch
    aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    double-yew double-ewe dot flahute dot com [foreword] slash

  20. in message <[email hidden]>, Steven L. Sheffield

    (') said:

    On 6/9/07 9:41 AM, in article [email hidden],

    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, John Forrest
    Tomlinson ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:

    > Mental illness is not joke.
    >
    > That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
    > in a situation where the illness could take hold.

    Can you suggest for us a situation in which depression is unlikely to
    take hold?

    When you don't dump a long-time girlfriend and then [censored] your
    wife, and jump from team to team along the way, doing drugs.

    That kind of situation.

    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm with Kunich and the others on
    this one.

    Speaking from personal experience, depression is a disease ... And while
    it's not an excuse for bad behavior, it is often the cause of it.

    VDB most likely isn't depressed as a result of dumping his long-time
    girlfriend, jumping from team to team, and doing drugs ... He most likely
    did all those things BECAUSE he was suffering from depression.

    Uh-huh. If you're lucky enough not to have been there, don't be too quick
    to judge those who have.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    /-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
    |-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
    | | * Be completely ignored (default)?
    | | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
    \_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem on your own phone bill?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.