Vegetable broth vs. vegetable broth.

In article <[email protected]>,
Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> "In season" we often get the asparagus for anything from 69 cent to 1
> dollar a pound around here from local truck farms.

:-( I don't have that luxury.
To me, $1.99 is properly on sale.

> I was never particularly impressed with asparagus, as an excuse to make
> a hollandaise it is admirable but otherwise...while it has IMO a good
> flavour, it is too, too delicate to impress me.

I adore asparagus, especially grilled.
I'll occasionally make a cheese sauce to go with it, but mostly I just
serve it with butter and a little lemon pepper. Sometimes lemon butter.

> I make it a lot in season as it is one of the 'elderly relatives'
> favourite foods, probly my favourite way is very lightly blanched in
> boiling, seasoned vinegar. Then cooled immediately and used as an
> ingredient in a pasta salad with a vinaigrette dressing. Not to bad in
> a cheese omelette either.
>
> They have, when almost raw a very good texture.

When sprigs come up in the garden and there is not enough for a meal,
they never make it back into the house. <G>

Asparagus is quite tasty raw right when it's picked.

> I have recently started cooking stir fried dishes, very quick, very
> good, and very simple.

Indeed!

> Last knight after cooking a whole onion cut into large dice in dark
> sesame oil till the onion was lightly browned i added cut up raw breast
> of chicken, cooked this till almost 3/4 done, and added cut up broccoli
> and green pepper, 2 cloves of mashed garlic & cooked till the chicken
> was done and the veggies lightly sautéed.

You forgot the ginger. <G>
Fresh ginger and a fine cheese grater.

> Having warmed the previously cooked rice noodles and plated them, i
> sprinkled a few drops of sesame oil over the noodles, added the meat and
> veggie mix on to the top of the noodles and over that sprinkled some of
> this new mushroom flavoured "dark" soy sauce (best soy sauce i have ever
> had "pearl river bridge" brand). I encouraged the 'elderly relative' to
> toss her noodles and meat mix to combine all the ingredients and it was
> superb.

It is indeed!
I generally use rice, or just eat it barefoot when I'm low carbing.

> I have been asked to add this to the repertoire, and tonight i am going
> to do the same thing but am soon going out to get some ginger root and
> more garlic, probly some cauliflower and more sweet peppers. I shall
> purchase some "5 spice" mix and look at other condiments and spices
> readily available in my area.

Sometimes the fresh frozen asian mixes work, as long as they are
pre-thawed and drained. Snow peas are good.

And mushrooms.

> I already use a commercial "banana sauce" and a very nice garlic chilli
> sauce. The banana sauce is the ""elderly relatives" favourite as she
> has a pronounced sweet tooth and the banana sauce is a sweet hot sauce,
> though very mild for a 'hot sauce'.

Never tried that, but Hoisin sauce is sweet-ish.

> I want to do beef this way but severely limit my intake of red meats. I
> have a whole tilapia in the freezer and am thinking some fish done this
> way will be very good.

It's ok, just gotta be quick with it as fish cooks so fast!
Thinly slice pork works, as does shrimp.

Shrimp I sautee' by itself first, then remove it and put it aside.
It gets re-added after plating.

Might want to do with with the fish.

> But above every thing else including the really wonderful flavours, this
> is for me an easy and quick way of making very good food. I have
> mentioned here before, a recent disability of the last few years that
> makes it difficult for me to stand, and so this quick cooking of good
> fresh foods is especially appealing to me.

Stir fry is a blessing!

> Im 'flying by the seat of my pants' here and really should purchase a
> good Asian cook book.
>
> More often than not i keep a sharp eye out for what the Asians in our
> local "Chinatown" are buying and follow suit and improvise.
>
> I recently discovered a Chinese butcher that makes "sausages" which i am
> assured are traditionally spiced according to Chinese methods, i am most
> anxious to try them.
> ---
> JL

There are very, very few foods that do not work in stir fry.
Squid is pretty good cut into rings and tentacles.

Enjoy! :)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > I was never particularly impressed with asparagus, as an excuse to make
> > a hollandaise it is admirable but otherwise...while it has IMO a good
> > flavour, it is too, too delicate to impress me.

> I adore asparagus, especially grilled.
> I'll occasionally make a cheese sauce to go with it, but mostly I just
> serve it with butter and a little lemon pepper. Sometimes lemon butter.

I would never bother to make a sauce for asparagus because I love it boiled or
steamed with butter and salt. It's darned near the perfect food done like that.

I also like it stir fried with pasta. Chop up the asparagus into pieces about 1
1/2 -2 ", heat some oil in a pan, add lots of chopped garlic a pinch of dried
chilli flakes and the asparagus and stir fry until done. Then toss in some cooked
spaghetti and mix it all up. Top with freshly grated Parmesan.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> It's next to impossible imho to find any canned stock/broths that are
> low in sodium and not rediculously high in price.
>
> I either make my own, or use V-8 juice.
> V-8 makes a low sodium juice that really IS low sodium, and is an
> excellent soup base.
>
> In fact, it's quite tasty by itself, heated, and used as a soup.

Yup, I now make my own stock (in the crockpot, it's a snap), MUCH cheaper
and better...

And I'm using V-8 juice in the vegetable soup I'll be making this weekend...

--
Best
Greg

jmcquown wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > At Trader Joe's today.
> >
> > Kitchen Basics had 5 vegetables in theirs for $2.49.
> >
> > Trader Joe's had 8 and more seasonsing and organic for $1.99
> >
> > All other nutrients were equal. Sodium 300mg/1 cup. Boo-hiss.
> >
> > I bought my bifocals and could actually read the nutrition labels.
> >
> > Trader Joe's with more veggies (flavor) for less $$$. A "NO BRAINER."
> >
> > Andy

> Hmmm, you're talking about store-bought vegetable broth. I'd say the no
> brainer would be to make your own. Quite often vegetable discards such as
> carrot tops, various greens, broccoli stems, pieces of carrot, etc. have
> been discussed to toss into a pot to with water make broth or stock.
> Pepper, salt, some selected herbs and you have more than just a can or two
> of broth for less than whatever that is at Trader Joe's.

I keep a big plastic ziploc bag in the freezer, into this go all my
vegetable scraps, when full it's time to make stock...

--
Best
Greg

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > > I was never particularly impressed with asparagus, as an excuse to make
> > > a hollandaise it is admirable but otherwise...while it has IMO a good
> > > flavour, it is too, too delicate to impress me.

> > I adore asparagus, especially grilled.
> > I'll occasionally make a cheese sauce to go with it, but mostly I just
> > serve it with butter and a little lemon pepper. Sometimes lemon butter.

> I would never bother to make a sauce for asparagus because I love it boiled
> or
> steamed with butter and salt. It's darned near the perfect food done like
> that.

I agree... :)
But I sometimes cook for others that like a nice white cheese sauce for
it.

> I also like it stir fried with pasta. Chop up the asparagus into pieces
> about 1
> 1/2 -2 ", heat some oil in a pan, add lots of chopped garlic a pinch of dried
> chilli flakes and the asparagus and stir fry until done. Then toss in some
> cooked
> spaghetti and mix it all up. Top with freshly grated Parmesan.

Don't forget the shrimp. ;-d
Asparagus is divine with shrimp!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Gregory Morrow"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > It's next to impossible imho to find any canned stock/broths that are
> > low in sodium and not rediculously high in price.
> >
> > I either make my own, or use V-8 juice.
> > V-8 makes a low sodium juice that really IS low sodium, and is an
> > excellent soup base.
> >
> > In fact, it's quite tasty by itself, heated, and used as a soup.

> Yup, I now make my own stock (in the crockpot, it's a snap), MUCH cheaper
> and better...
>
> And I'm using V-8 juice in the vegetable soup I'll be making this weekend...

Also makes a great chili base. <G>

Om -> not kidding but ducking and running anyway... ;-D
--

<[email protected]> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Andy wrote:
> > > At Trader Joe's today.
> > >
> > > Kitchen Basics had 5 vegetables in theirs for $2.49.
> > >
> > > Trader Joe's had 8 and more seasonsing and organic for $1.99
> > >
> > > All other nutrients were equal. Sodium 300mg/1 cup. Boo-hiss.
> > >
> > > I bought my bifocals and could actually read the nutrition labels.
> > >
> > > Trader Joe's with more veggies (flavor) for less $$$. A "NO BRAINER."
> > >
> > > Andy

> > Hmmm, you're talking about store-bought vegetable broth. I'd say the no
> > brainer would be to make your own. Quite often vegetable discards such as
> > carrot tops, various greens, broccoli stems, pieces of carrot, etc. have
> > been discussed to toss into a pot to with water make broth or stock.
> > Pepper, salt, some selected herbs and you have more than just a can or two
> > of broth for less than whatever that is at Trader Joe's.

> I keep a big plastic ziploc bag in the freezer, into this go all my
> vegetable scraps, when full it's time to make stock...

I just froze a bunch of celery tops the other day.
I plan to experiment with frozen veggie scraps and stock, just to see
what happens. :)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Gregory Morrow"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>
>> > It's next to impossible imho to find any canned stock/broths that
>> > are low in sodium and not rediculously high in price.
>> >
>> > I either make my own, or use V-8 juice.
>> > V-8 makes a low sodium juice that really IS low sodium, and is an
>> > excellent soup base.
>> >
>> > In fact, it's quite tasty by itself, heated, and used as a soup.

>> Yup, I now make my own stock (in the crockpot, it's a snap), MUCH
>> cheaper and better...
>>
>> And I'm using V-8 juice in the vegetable soup I'll be making this
>> weekend...

> Also makes a great chili base. <G>
>
> Om -> not kidding but ducking and running anyway... ;-D

I bought a jug of V-8 juice but 590mg sodium per 8 oz. Is NOT low sodium.
I could dilute it I guess.

Andy

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Gregory Morrow"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > > It's next to impossible imho to find any canned stock/broths that are
> > > low in sodium and not rediculously high in price.
> > >
> > > I either make my own, or use V-8 juice.
> > > V-8 makes a low sodium juice that really IS low sodium, and is an
> > > excellent soup base.
> > >
> > > In fact, it's quite tasty by itself, heated, and used as a soup.

> > Yup, I now make my own stock (in the crockpot, it's a snap), MUCH cheaper
> > and better...
> >
> > And I'm using V-8 juice in the vegetable soup I'll be making this weekend...

> Also makes a great chili base. <G>
>
> Om -> not kidding but ducking and running anyway... ;-D

I used a can of V-8 juice in the spaghetti sauce I recently made in my
new crockpot, worked just fine. I really wanted to start out with a
thin consistency and then cook it down, V-8 was perfect for this...

--
Best
Greg

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Gregory Morrow"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Yup, I now make my own stock (in the crockpot, it's a snap), MUCH
> >> cheaper and better...
> >>
> >> And I'm using V-8 juice in the vegetable soup I'll be making this
> >> weekend...

> > Also makes a great chili base. <G>
> >
> > Om -> not kidding but ducking and running anyway... ;-D

> I bought a jug of V-8 juice but 590mg sodium per 8 oz. Is NOT low sodium.

No, it's not. You bought the wrong product.

> I could dilute it I guess.
>
> Andy

That's not the low sodium that _I_ get!
You must have gotten the reduced sodium???

Ok, I've got a bottle here in my hand.
Comes only in 1 liter bottles, has a bright yellow-green cap, says "Low
Sodium" V8 on the front label.

Turn it over, says 140 mg. sodium per 8 oz. serving.

Okee? :)

Cheers!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Gregory Morrow"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yup, I now make my own stock (in the crockpot, it's a snap), MUCH cheaper
> > > and better...
> > >
> > > And I'm using V-8 juice in the vegetable soup I'll be making this
> > > weekend...

> > Also makes a great chili base. <G>
> >
> > Om -> not kidding but ducking and running anyway... ;-D

> I used a can of V-8 juice in the spaghetti sauce I recently made in my
> new crockpot, worked just fine. I really wanted to start out with a
> thin consistency and then cook it down, V-8 was perfect for this...

:)

Our lab once won the Hospital chili cookoff.
V-8 juice was the "base" for the chili.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > In article <[email protected]>,
>> > "Gregory Morrow"
>> > <[email protected]>

>> > Also makes a great chili base. <G>
>> >
>> > Om -> not kidding but ducking and running anyway... ;-D

>> I bought a jug of V-8 juice but 590mg sodium per 8 oz. Is NOT low
>> sodium.

> No, it's not. You bought the wrong product.
>
>> I could dilute it I guess.
>>
>> Andy

> That's not the low sodium that _I_ get!
> You must have gotten the reduced sodium???
>
> Ok, I've got a bottle here in my hand.
> Comes only in 1 liter bottles, has a bright yellow-green cap, says
> "Low Sodium" V8 on the front label.
>
> Turn it over, says 140 mg. sodium per 8 oz. serving.
>
> Okee? :)
>
> Cheers!

Om,

I goofed. And it won't be the last time! ;-)

Andy

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

> >> I bought a jug of V-8 juice but 590mg sodium per 8 oz. Is NOT low
> >> sodium.

> > No, it's not. You bought the wrong product.
> >
> >> I could dilute it I guess.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > That's not the low sodium that _I_ get!
> > You must have gotten the reduced sodium???
> >
> > Ok, I've got a bottle here in my hand.
> > Comes only in 1 liter bottles, has a bright yellow-green cap, says
> > "Low Sodium" V8 on the front label.
> >
> > Turn it over, says 140 mg. sodium per 8 oz. serving.
> >
> > Okee? :)
> >
> > Cheers!

> Om,
>
> I goofed. And it won't be the last time! ;-)
>
> Andy

<lol> It's ok...
V8 makes three different products, not counting their new fruit juice
line.

Dad has bought me the wrong one more than once!
He is subject to the green/brown color blindness thing.

I just make sure now that I buy it myself. <G>