Video of a bad crash at Flanders

On Apr 8, 9:05 am, Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]>
wrote:
> caffetrieste wrote:
> > If you haven't sen this already, take a look at what happened to Angel
> > Gomez...my worst nightmare:

> >http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119:t...

> Another version, download 9.5 MB fromhttp://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/angelgomez_crash.mp4

The flagman seemed to be just holding the flag instead of actively
waving riders away from the danger. Gomez was holding his line and
going to run down the flagman if he didn't move. That's a really bad
combination.

On Apr 8, 4:18 pm, RicodJour <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 9:05 am, Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > caffetrieste wrote:
> > > If you haven't sen this already, take a look at what happened to Angel
> > > Gomez...my worst nightmare:

> > >http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119:t...

> > Another version, download 9.5 MB fromhttp://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/angelgomez_crash.mp4

> The flagman seemed to be just holding the flag instead of actively
> waving riders away from the danger.  Gomez was holding his line and
> going to run down the flagman if he didn't move.  That's a really bad
> combination.

These guys were off the back it looks like. Maybe the flagman kind of
figured the worst was over. Good thing he didn't hit the guy. That
would have been bad.

Joseph

On Apr 8, 11:03 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> These guys were off the back it looks like. Maybe the flagman kind of
> figured the worst was over. Good thing he didn't hit the guy. That
> would have been bad.

That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman? And why
would you do it when you're way back?

RicodJour wrote:
> That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman? And why
> would you do it when you're way back?

Yeah off the back, so he was digging deep and only looking at his
front wheel.

On Apr 8, 12:16 pm, Ted van de Weteringe
<[email protected]> wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman? And why
> > would you do it when you're way back?

> Yeah off the back, so he was digging deep and only looking at his
> front wheel.

Then it's lucky he didn't kill or get killed. Guess he won't make
that mistake again.

RicodJour wrote:
> On Apr 8, 12:16 pm, Ted van de Weteringe
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> RicodJour wrote:
>>> That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman? And why
>>> would you do it when you're way back?

>> Yeah off the back, so he was digging deep and only looking at his
>> front wheel.

> Then it's lucky he didn't kill or get killed. Guess he won't make
> that mistake again.

Anybody seen Moletta (2007 M-SR light pole) recently? He's still listed
on Gerolsteiner's roster but no schedule or results.

On Apr 8, 6:16 pm, Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]>
wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman?  And why
> > would you do it when you're way back?

> Yeah off the back, so he was digging deep and only looking at his
> front wheel.

You can't tell from the video, and it looks overcast, but maybe there
was glare on the road? Or he could have been wearing glasses that were
all splattered with gunk from the road, and he only saw they guy, not
the curb. Doesn't expain why the guy had to jump out of the way,
though.

Joseph

Geraard Spergen wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
>> On Apr 8, 12:16 pm, Ted van de Weteringe
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Yeah off the back, so he was digging deep and only looking at his
>>> front wheel.

>> Then it's lucky he didn't kill or get killed. Guess he won't make
>> that mistake again.

> Anybody seen Moletta (2007 M-SR light pole) recently? He's still listed
> on Gerolsteiner's roster but no schedule or results.

I am reminded of Wilfried Nelissen's crash in the 1996
Gent-Wevelgem that ended his career.

Bob Schwartz

Geraard Spergen wrote:

> Anybody seen Moletta (2007 M-SR light pole) recently? He's still listed
> on Gerolsteiner's roster but no schedule or results.

Came 62nd this year @25sec.
The RAI coverage of the race showed an interview with him visiting the
scene of the crash

[email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 8, 6:16 pm, Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> RicodJour wrote:
>>> That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman? And why
>>> would you do it when you're way back?

>> Yeah off the back, so he was digging deep and only looking at his
>> front wheel.

> You can't tell from the video, and it looks overcast, but maybe there
> was glare on the road? Or he could have been wearing glasses that were
> all splattered with gunk from the road, and he only saw they guy, not
> the curb. Doesn't expain why the guy had to jump out of the way,
> though.
>
> Joseph

My take on it was that he was close behind two other riders. They saw
the obstruction and moved slightly to the left, and he didn't seem to
have time to react. And maybe, as others are guessing, he happened to
be looking down or something.

I agree with Colin,
I didn't get to watch the race but it seems to me he was behind two
riders and digging deep to gain position. Then saw the riders move and
did not react in time to avoid the curb.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

RicodJour wrote:
> On Apr 8, 11:03 am, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> These guys were off the back it looks like. Maybe the flagman kind of
>> figured the worst was over. Good thing he didn't hit the guy. That
>> would have been bad.

> That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman? And why
> would you do it when you're way back?

Spanish rider, red flag. Maybe he was thinking of the bullfights at the
time.

Kyle Legate wrote:
> Spanish rider, red flag. Maybe he was thinking of the bullfights at the
> time.

Fortunately he didn't have a sword.

On Apr 9, 3:38 pm, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 11:03 am, "[email protected]"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> These guys were off the back it looks like. Maybe the flagman kind of
> >> figured the worst was over. Good thing he didn't hit the guy. That
> >> would have been bad.

> > That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman? And why
> > would you do it when you're way back?

> Spanish rider, red flag. Maybe he was thinking of the bullfights at the
> time.

Actually, I believe the flag was that dayglow yellow-green, but point
taken. The flagman was challenging a latino (mediterraneano...?) so
Gomez probably took it personally.

"Flags? Flags?! We don't need no steenkin flags!!!"

On Apr 9, 2:23 pm, RicodJour <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 3:38 pm, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > RicodJour wrote:

> > > That's the weird thing - who plays chicken with a flagman?  And why
> > > would you do it when you're way back?

> > Spanish rider, red flag. Maybe he was thinking of the bullfights at the
> > time.

> Actually, I believe the flag was that dayglow yellow-green, but point
> taken.  The flagman was challenging a latino (mediterraneano...?) so
> Gomez probably took it personally.
>
> "Flags?  Flags?!  We don't need no steenkin flags!!!"

The police waving flags normally are blowing whistles too to keep this
type of thing from occurring. I wonder if either the policeman didn't
blow his whistle or didn't have it. Whatever the case, that was one
hell of an impact. Busted the forks right off.