Vitus bike?

VAbeth

Sep 22, 2012
Hi, I found a bike for sale recently described as having a "2001 vitus 979 frame." I don't know much about bikes yet (I'm learning!), but I didn't think that a vitus 979 could be from 2001... could someone explain this to me? Also the bike has 8 speed Campy equipment, Ergo shift brake levers, Mavic ceramic wheels, Phil Wood Hubs and Mavic peddles. Does it sound like $400 would be a reasonable price to pay for this bike? Thank you!

http://vitus979.com/

http://schutt.org/velo/vitus-979.php

Bike Nashbar did sell NOS Vitus frames back in the 2000-2005 area, so maybe it was bought new in 2001. I doubt it was manufactured anywhere near that date however.

For a complete bike in good/very good condition, yeah...it's worth $400 IMO. I would want to inspect the frame joints prior to buying it.

Note that the frame is reknown for being flexible, especially the larger sizes. It also earned a reputation for the glue joints failing.

Ok, thanks so much! I did read about the problems with the frame, but this is a smaller size so I was hoping it might be ok.

They were flexible but it didn't stop the likes of Sean Kelly winning a few classics on one...
... and didn't stop the likes of me from unbonding one. Thankfully I have friends at British Aerospace that have access to stronger epoxy and better surface prep than Vitus did.

swampy1970 said:
They were flexible but it didn't stop the likes of Sean Kelly winning a few classics on one... ... and didn't stop the likes of me from unbonding one. Thankfully I have friends at British Aerospace that have access to stronger epoxy and better surface prep than Vitus did.
"Flexible" is a generous term don't you think? Given how "flexible" the 979 was compared to other frames, I think it gives a bit of perspective to today's fetish for über stiff frames and the perverse desire to have the stiffest bike on the block.

They were flexible but it didn't stop the likes of Sean Kelly winning a few classics on one...

Sean Kelly was no Magnus Bäckstedt (6' 4")! Sean was a rather wee rider and rode a smaller size Vitus...and the flexibility (and light weight) of the Vitus probably helped him over the cobbles. The lighter weight of the Vitus/Alan framesets made them decent climbers in their day despite the larger sizes being somewhat of a pendulum.

No helmet...greased cobbles...and on a Vitus! I hope his insurance premiums were up to date!

... and didn't stop the likes of me from unbonding one.

Was yours glued only or glued/pinned?

Thankfully I have friends at British Aerospace that have access to stronger epoxy and better surface prep than Vitus did.

In Ohio, our salted roads did in more than a few Vitus/Alan joints.