Washing clothes - Fabric conditioner

Biggles

Guest
Hi All,

Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

Paul

Hi John,

Why is that?

Paul "John and Pauline at Thornbury"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:e9%4c.2879$V11.1841@news-
binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hello, Try ignoring this instruction! You will be sorry.
> John. http://www.pbase.com/john28july
>

> --
> No direct reply option available. "Biggles"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Ap_4c.375$Pb2.367@newsfe1-
> gui.server.ntli.net...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
> > instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?
> >
> > Paul

I believe it compromises the water repellence of fabrics,
acting like a wetting agent . Any rain that lands on the
surface instead of forming a globule soaks in to the fibres.
Not just with fibres - membranes like goretex etc don't like
it either.

DDM

"Biggles" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:Ap_4c.375$Pb2.367@newsfe1-
gui.server.ntli.net...
> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
> instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?
>
> Paul

Yep that's true

Handwash and keep away to all detergents if u can avoid it,
otherwise it's out with the Fabsil afterwards ;-(

I see the answers are already coming in!
All outdoor clothing benefits a clean NON bio wash. No conditioners as it
damages the water repelancy and the sweat repelency of most garments too. My
wife only once made the mistake!
John.
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

--
No direct reply option available. "Biggles"
gui.server.ntli.net...

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Simon Caldwell wrote:

> >Handwash
>
> Why? None of my outdoor stuff recommends handwashing.

I throw the lot in the machine on 30 degrees with a couple
of non-bio tablets and no conditioner and they wash up
well and have remained okay outdoors. I have trousers
which are kind of fleecy and they aren't waterproof anyway
but they do keep you warm even if wet, and dry quickly
once it stops raining.

--
Chris

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:59:35 -0000, "Biggles"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
>instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

erm, not exactly sure of the full technical story on this
but I think fabric conditioners do something at the
molecular level that revolves around reducing electrical
charge between fibres, molecules, etc.. The upside of which
your clothes feel softer, the downside of which they lose
their [natural] water repelancy.

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
>instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

erm, not exactly sure of the full technical story on this
but I think fabric conditioners do something at the
molecular level that revolves around reducing electrical
charge between fibres, molecules, etc.. The upside of which
your clothes feel softer, the downside of which they lose
their [natural] water repelancy.

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

Following up to Biggles

>Does anybody know why most of my walking kit's washing
>instructions say avaiod Fabric Conditioners?

whatever it is the conditioner does to things like Patagonia
wicking underwear b****** the wicking. sorry to be so
technical. Note some washing powders now have built in
conditioner, so read the small print.
--
Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London etc

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, it was written:

> erm, not exactly sure of the full technical story on this
> but I think fabric conditioners do something at the
> molecular level that revolves around reducing electrical
> charge between fibres, molecules, etc.. The upside of
> which your clothes feel softer, the downside of which they
> lose their [natural] water repelancy.

Out of interest if clothes are accidentally washed with
fabric conditioner and lose their natural water repellance
is there a way to restore it? Are we talking about fabrics
which cause water to bead and roll off (canvas type fabric)
or other, more fleecy fabrics which are water resistant but
which still absorb water to a degree?

I have some fleecy Polartec walking trousers which state
not to use conditioner but they are not water repellant to
any great degree and easily become wet (and dry quickly)
if it rains. How would washing with conditioner affect
those and what remedial action could be taken if it
happened by accident?

--
Chris