Watching Unicyling Media on HDTV via DSM-520

cowan

Guest
For a few years, we've wanted to view our various types of media on TV
-- without tying up computer. But, the products were just too
expensive and didn't seem to work well. In the last month, a new
product was released that is both affordable and actually works. It
also has some nice features, as noted below. We are now watching all
the new unicycling videos in the warm luxury of our family room. Enjoy
this quick review.

...just hooked up our 'DLink DSM-520'
(http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=438) and all I have to say is
that is rocks. We also bought the 'DLink DSM-G600'
(http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=377) Network Storage Enclosure and
added a WD-250 drive. The 520 plays all of my media [wmv, xvid, divx,
vob's, mp3, mpa, cda, jpg, jpeg2000, bmp, ...] effortlessly and also
now has me hooked on free internet radio [live365 dot com]. The network
storage device is Gigabit [as well as my computer and switch] , but I
can only sustain about 7-8 MB/sec [100TX is about 5-6, 802-11g is about
4-5]. This is the most disappointing thing. But I love ability to
access all of the media with computer turned OFF. After a week, we are
sitting at about 100GB. When we have media ready, we drag and drop it
from computer to network drive. We may buy a second DSM-520 or DSM-120
for hookup to our stereo in dining room. The G600 supports writing and
reading from multiple sources without any problem. We use the gigabit
for computer transfer and the 802-11 for communictaion with DSM-520.
Nice thing about the DSM-520 is that it can support MULTIPLE media
sources at the same time. For example, while the DSM-520 plays a movie
from DSM-G600 on 802.11g, I can se moving a file to DSM-G600 via
gigabit from computer AND view pics from G600 on my my Pocket-PC. Other
nice feature - the file structure you create G600 is retained in
DSM-520 media menus.

Don't waste your time with XBOX-360 as media streamer. You'll fill it
up in no time at all and be looking to upgrade.

Oh, nice thing about the G600 is that you can put all of your family
pictures [.. ect] and have it as a stand-alone backup. The file
partition is EXT3 which is Linux with Journaling. It can be read under
XP -via network- without any software. But if you -install- drive in
XP computer, it will need a small extender.

oh, my computer-challenged wife and kids find it easy to use :)

BOTTOM LINE - this is a great product for home media streaming. With
HD capabilities, it will be compatible for a long time down the road.

any questions - cmoore at esilab dot com 3307013922c

--
cowan
cowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10985

How was the DSM-520 in reagrds to streaming video wirelessly form you
compputer? Or did you try that?

I have just ordered one, but may want to use wierlessly

jk wrote:
> How was the DSM-520 in reagrds to streaming video wirelessly form you
> compputer? Or did you try that?
>
> I have just ordered one, but may want to use wierlessly

I've not tried it, but the general discussion on avsforum.com is that
everything works nice. It uses a minimum of overhead and is seamless
in function compared to uPnP Network Storage Devices like the DSM-G600.

I personally like network storage because it frees the computer for
reboots or heavy cpu stuff -- without interrupting what goes on the
DSM-520.

Let me know how you like yours.

Cowan