waterproof overshoes?

Ian Smith

Guest
Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
aimed at my feet.

I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.

I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?

Looking around it seems the vast majority of overshoes now available
are silly little ankle-length neoprene bootie things. There are a few
made of actual proofed fabric, but they are short and breathable. My
feet don't sweat on the days when I wear overshoes, I don't want to
pay for breathable membranes that don't last more than four or five
years anyway. I want waterproof taped seams on lightweight flexible
fabric, and preferably knee length.

I am wishing in vain?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:
> Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
> it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
> aimed at my feet.
>
> I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
> seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
> snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
> neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
> generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
> night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
>
> I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?
>
> Looking around it seems the vast majority of overshoes now available
> are silly little ankle-length neoprene bootie things. There are a few
> made of actual proofed fabric, but they are short and breathable. My
> feet don't sweat on the days when I wear overshoes, I don't want to
> pay for breathable membranes that don't last more than four or five
> years anyway. I want waterproof taped seams on lightweight flexible
> fabric, and preferably knee length.
>
> I am wishing in vain?
>
> regards, Ian SMith

Try these:

<URL:http://www.jileon.com/>

In article <[email protected]>
Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
> it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
> aimed at my feet.
>
> I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
> seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
> snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
> neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
> generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
> night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
>
> I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?

Like these?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

On Wed, 29 Nov, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
> > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
> > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe.

> Like these?
>
> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.

They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:

>> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

> That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
> stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
> water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.
>
> They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
> closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

Is is that important to have long length?

The old fashioned Carradice Duxback waxed cotton overshoes do the most
important job of keeping your toes dry:

www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froogle/product-Carridice-of-Nelson-Carradice-Duxback-Overshoes-1221.htm

The shape is a bit weird but adding some more velcro stops them being too
flappy.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>
Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
> > > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
> > > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe.

> > Like these?
> >
> > http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

> That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
> stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
> water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.
>
> They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
> closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

If you're handy with a sewing machine (or know someone who is) you could
buy some waxed cotton fabric and use your one remaining spat as a
pattern for some new ones - they won't be lightweight but they'll
definitely be robust and waterproof (as long as you do double seams and
wax them before use).

You're right, most people (including myself) go for SealSkinz socks
with some Neoprene (or similar) ankle length over-boots.

Neoprene works by keeping the wind-out and traps water, so the water
you do have is retained and warmed rather than a constant stream of
fresh ice-water. the SealSkinz socks are totally water-proof which you
can verify by standing in a bucket, but in heavy rain they will usually
fill with water from above - because the pants/bibs aren't water-proof.

For walking I swear by Yeti Gaiters -
<<http://www.buachaille.com/p1590-0-6/Gaiters/Berghaus-Yeti-Extrem-Gaiter.html>>
You can wade through streams up to the knee in these without letting a
drop-in, and mine are 10 years old so they're built to last. I
normally put a few drops of super-glue around the rubber rands so they
stay attached to the boot (and don't curl up at the toe when scrambling
on rock). I'll bet they'd super-glue to the soles of 'clipless-pedal'
cycling shoes just as well. I might try that if my current overshoes
get a bit nippy later on this winter...

Regards,

Duncan.

On Nov 28, 9:49 pm, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
> it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
> aimed at my feet.
>
> I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
> seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
> snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
> neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
> generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
> night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
>
> I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?
>
> Looking around it seems the vast majority of overshoes now available
> are silly little ankle-length neoprene bootie things. There are a few
> made of actual proofed fabric, but they are short and breathable. My
> feet don't sweat on the days when I wear overshoes, I don't want to
> pay for breathable membranes that don't last more than four or five
> years anyway. I want waterproof taped seams on lightweight flexible
> fabric, and preferably knee length.
>
> I am wishing in vain?
>
> regards, Ian SMith
> --
> |\ /| no .sig
> |o o|
> |/ \|

Ian Smith <[email protected]> writed in
news:[email protected]:

> Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
> it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
> aimed at my feet.
>
> I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
> seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
> snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
> neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
> generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
> night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
>
> I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?

These look like the ones I've had for years

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Bikeboot-Short-Madcla40014504.aspx
or
http://masl.to/?C30E1684E

but mine are blue (and tatty), but still going strong. Agu Sport make,
not flash, not expensive, but practical.

Please tell me those aren't just below your knees!

Regards,

Duncan.

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>
>>> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

>> That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
>> stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
>> water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.
>>
>> They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
>> closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

> Is is that important to have long length?

I used to have some spats (before my cycling rebirth), they were good, kept
your foot, lower leg and knee dryish and warm. The upper leg keeps itself
warm. Packed nice and small as well.

You look a right twit walking around in them tho'

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

On 29 Nov 2006, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you.

Thanks to all, with work on the links provided, and the knowledge that
they do exist, I managed to track down 'Agu Bike Boots' long model.
These look like they've used the exact same pattern as the ones I had
before. Vinyl membrane on a shell fabric, taped seams, stop just
below my knee. They need some modification to work with my clipless
pedals, but otherwise spot on.

The only downside is they arrived this afternoon, _after_ my five mile
commute through standing water on the roads this morning.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|