waterproof overshoes?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian Smith, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
    it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
    aimed at my feet.

    I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
    neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
    generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
    night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.

    I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?

    Looking around it seems the vast majority of overshoes now available
    are silly little ankle-length neoprene bootie things. There are a few
    made of actual proofed fabric, but they are short and breathable. My
    feet don't sweat on the days when I wear overshoes, I don't want to
    pay for breathable membranes that don't last more than four or five
    years anyway. I want waterproof taped seams on lightweight flexible
    fabric, and preferably knee length.

    I am wishing in vain?

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

    Tags:

  2. Ian Smith wrote:
    > Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
    > it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
    > aimed at my feet.
    >
    > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
    > neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
    > generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
    > night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
    >
    > I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?
    >
    > Looking around it seems the vast majority of overshoes now available
    > are silly little ankle-length neoprene bootie things. There are a few
    > made of actual proofed fabric, but they are short and breathable. My
    > feet don't sweat on the days when I wear overshoes, I don't want to
    > pay for breathable membranes that don't last more than four or five
    > years anyway. I want waterproof taped seams on lightweight flexible
    > fabric, and preferably knee length.
    >
    > I am wishing in vain?
    >
    > regards, Ian SMith

    Try these:

    <URL:http://www.jileon.com/>

  3. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <[email protected]>
    Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
    > it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
    > aimed at my feet.
    >
    > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
    > neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
    > generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
    > night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
    >
    > I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?

    Like these?

    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

  4. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>
    > Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    > > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    > > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe.

    > Like these?
    >
    > http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

    That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
    stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
    water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.

    They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
    closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ian Smith wrote:

    >> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

    > That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
    > stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
    > water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.
    >
    > They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
    > closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

    Is is that important to have long length?

    The old fashioned Carradice Duxback waxed cotton overshoes do the most
    important job of keeping your toes dry:

    www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froogle/product-Carridice-of-Nelson-Carradice-Duxback-Overshoes-1221.htm

    The shape is a bit weird but adding some more velcro stops them being too
    flappy.

    ~PB

  6. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <[email protected]>
    Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Nov, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>
    > > Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    > > > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    > > > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe.

    > > Like these?
    > >
    > > http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

    > That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
    > stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
    > water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.
    >
    > They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
    > closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

    If you're handy with a sewing machine (or know someone who is) you could
    buy some waxed cotton fabric and use your one remaining spat as a
    pattern for some new ones - they won't be lightweight but they'll
    definitely be robust and waterproof (as long as you do double seams and
    wax them before use).

  7. Duncan Smith

    Duncan Smith Guest

    You're right, most people (including myself) go for SealSkinz socks
    with some Neoprene (or similar) ankle length over-boots.

    Neoprene works by keeping the wind-out and traps water, so the water
    you do have is retained and warmed rather than a constant stream of
    fresh ice-water. the SealSkinz socks are totally water-proof which you
    can verify by standing in a bucket, but in heavy rain they will usually
    fill with water from above - because the pants/bibs aren't water-proof.

    For walking I swear by Yeti Gaiters -
    <<http://www.buachaille.com/p1590-0-6/Gaiters/Berghaus-Yeti-Extrem-Gaiter.html>>
    You can wade through streams up to the knee in these without letting a
    drop-in, and mine are 10 years old so they're built to last. I
    normally put a few drops of super-glue around the rubber rands so they
    stay attached to the boot (and don't curl up at the toe when scrambling
    on rock). I'll bet they'd super-glue to the soles of 'clipless-pedal'
    cycling shoes just as well. I might try that if my current overshoes
    get a bit nippy later on this winter...

    Regards,

    Duncan.

    On Nov 28, 9:49 pm, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
    > it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
    > aimed at my feet.
    >
    > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
    > neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
    > generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
    > night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
    >
    > I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?
    >
    > Looking around it seems the vast majority of overshoes now available
    > are silly little ankle-length neoprene bootie things. There are a few
    > made of actual proofed fabric, but they are short and breathable. My
    > feet don't sweat on the days when I wear overshoes, I don't want to
    > pay for breathable membranes that don't last more than four or five
    > years anyway. I want waterproof taped seams on lightweight flexible
    > fabric, and preferably knee length.
    >
    > I am wishing in vain?
    >
    > regards, Ian SMith
    > --
    > |\ /| no .sig
    > |o o|
    > |/ \|

  8. Ian Smith <[email protected]> writed in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
    > it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
    > aimed at my feet.
    >
    > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
    > neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
    > generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
    > night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.
    >
    > I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist?

    These look like the ones I've had for years

    http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Bikeboot-Short-Madcla40014504.aspx
    or
    http://masl.to/?C30E1684E

    but mine are blue (and tatty), but still going strong. Agu Sport make,
    not flash, not expensive, but practical.

  9. Duncan Smith

    Duncan Smith Guest

    Please tell me those aren't just below your knees!

    Regards,

    Duncan.

    On Nov 29, 3:29 pm, Mike the Unimaginative <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > Ian Smith <[email protected]> writed innews:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Back on a bike (for various reasons) I suddenly remember how horrible
    > > it is cycling on winter wet roads with a continual spray of icy water
    > > aimed at my feet.

    > > I used to have a pair of really nice overshoes - waterproof, taped
    > > seams, knee length, velcro up the back, bit like lightweight
    > > snow-gaiters but wrapping right round the shoe. Vastly superior to
    > > neoprene (which I've previously found to go soggy, chilly, leaky and
    > > generally disappointing). Sadly, having hunted high and low every
    > > night for a week, I find I now possess only a left overshoe.

    > > I want to buy a new pair. Does such a thing still exist? These look like the ones I've had for years

    > http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Bikeboot-Short-Madcla40014504.aspx
    > orhttp://masl.to/?C30E1684E
    >
    > but mine are blue (and tatty), but still going strong. Agu Sport make,
    > not flash, not expensive, but practical.

  10. AndyMorris

    AndyMorris Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Ian Smith wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=152&src=froogle

    >> That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you. Mine
    >> stopped below the knee, and I'm a bit nervous of the description as
    >> water 'resistant', but it's the best yet.
    >>
    >> They (the BoB) also list 'Eager spats calf length', which is yet
    >> closer, except they don't comment on the waterproofness.

    > Is is that important to have long length?

    I used to have some spats (before my cycling rebirth), they were good, kept
    your foot, lower leg and knee dryish and warm. The upper leg keeps itself
    warm. Packed nice and small as well.

    You look a right twit walking around in them tho'

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  11. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 29 Nov 2006, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That's much closer than anything else I've seen, thank you.

    Thanks to all, with work on the links provided, and the knowledge that
    they do exist, I managed to track down 'Agu Bike Boots' long model.
    These look like they've used the exact same pattern as the ones I had
    before. Vinyl membrane on a shell fabric, taped seams, stop just
    below my knee. They need some modification to work with my clipless
    pedals, but otherwise spot on.

    The only downside is they arrived this afternoon, _after_ my five mile
    commute through standing water on the roads this morning.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|