Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

web-site on road fatalities

Started by Andy Simpson · · Last activity · 11 posts · 433 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
21 April 2004
Last activity
23 April 2004
Original author
Andy Simpson
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
433
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was going to post something to the "Why do cars hate us so much" thread"
    about how some drivers seem to hate everyone else too. While checking some
    numbers, I came across the following web-site:

    http://tssu.atsb.gov.au/Query_DB.cfm

    which allows you to analyse historical Australian road fatalities.

    Andy

  2. Andy Simpson said:

    I was going to post something to the "Why do cars hate us so much" thread"
    about how some drivers seem to hate everyone else too. While checking some
    numbers, I came across the following web-site:

    http://tssu.atsb.gov.au/Query_DB.cfm

    which allows you to analyse historical Australian road fatalities.

    Andy

    Anyone had any success creating reports from here? I just tried and got
    an error message from IE and a blank page from Netscape. Not sure if I
    really want to know too much about the fatalities, might put me off riding.

    Dave B.

  3. "DaveB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy Simpson said:

    I was going to post something to the "Why do cars hate us so much"


    thread"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about how some drivers seem to hate everyone else too. While checking


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    numbers, I came across the following web-site:

    http://tssu.atsb.gov.au/Query_DB.cfm

    which allows you to analyse historical Australian road fatalities.

    Andy

    Anyone had any success creating reports from here? I just tried and got
    an error message from IE and a blank page from Netscape. Not sure if I
    really want to know too much about the fatalities, might put me off


    riding.

    Quoted message said:


    Dave B.


    works fine for me
    stuart

  4. *sigh*

    any chance of a mildly flippant website that catalogues personal
    anecdotes of cyclists who may of had an enjoyable ride today or plan to
    in the near future?

    nah, that’s far too silly to comtemplate....🙄

    --

  5. stu said:

    "DaveB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy Simpson said:

    I was going to post something to the "Why do cars hate us so much"



    thread"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about how some drivers seem to hate everyone else too. While checking



    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    numbers, I came across the following web-site:

    http://tssu.atsb.gov.au/Query_DB.cfm

    which allows you to analyse historical Australian road fatalities.

    Andy

    Anyone had any success creating reports from here? I just tried and got
    an error message from IE and a blank page from Netscape. Not sure if I
    really want to know too much about the fatalities, might put me off

    riding.

    Quoted message said:

    Dave B.

    works fine for me
    stuart

    Yep working fine now. Must have been a hiccup at the site.

    DaveB.

  6. cfsmtb said:

    *sigh*
    any chance of a mildly flippant website that catalogues personal
    anecdotes of cyclists who may of had an enjoyable ride today or plan to
    in the near future?
    nah, that’s far too silly to comtemplate....🙄

    funny you should mention that. putting together summat at the mo. based
    purely on my own stuff experiences. probably something like hippy's but
    am trying to see if I can get a decent/solid blog/forum thing on there
    too. rides around Melbourne section

    reworking the Booroondara BUG site shortly too...

    --

  7. See http://tinyurl.com/3hmmp -

    Adult cycling deaths by year; and, separately, those during commuting
    hours, taken as 7:00am-9:00am and 5:00pm-7:00pm, Monday to Friday.

    Interesting. The dip around 1991-92 is fairly clear - widely attributed
    to the helmet laws introduced in 1991, and best explained by a
    reduction in total cycling (reduced exposure), rather than by any
    improvement in cyclist head protection.

    An ongoing slow downtrend appears to be superimposed - but I have no
    data on concurrent changes in exposure. Surely total adult cycling
    per annum would have increased somewhat since the low of 91-92? And by
    rather a lot in the last couple of years, if my observations are any
    guide...

    "Commuting hours" deaths average a fairly modest 6.5 per year nationwide,
    rather less than I would have guessed. Census data indicates that
    about 2% of all commutes are by bicycle - maybe 200,000 individual
    cycle commuters; say 400,000 trips per day.

    So your chances of dying cycle commuting are rather less than your
    chances of winning Lotto ("break even" is at about five ordinary 8-game
    entries per year). Maybe advocates would do well to advertise the fact!

  8. The problem I personally have with all these statistics (i.e. death by/due
    to cycling) is that they do not count the number of cyclists who have
    survived their accidents (regardless of who's fault it was!) but still paid
    a high price like those: para/quadriplegics, broken bones, badly bruised,
    teeth and eye damage, etc...... I would love to see all of those. This
    should also include cycling accidents caused by poor road conditions and
    cyclists own mistakes - to be 100% fare. With car crashes more often than
    not the driver & passengers walk away with nothing broken/bruised beyond
    their vehicles.....

    Once you add those mishaps into equation I doubt bicycling statistics are
    all that healthy (pardon my pun!).....

    I only started cycling in Dec 2003 and every time I jump on my bike and "hit
    the road" I say a silent prayer that I return home in one safe and sound
    piece!

    Safe riding all!

    "Glen F" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    See http://tinyurl.com/3hmmp -

    Adult cycling deaths by year; and, separately, those during commuting
    hours, taken as 7:00am-9:00am and 5:00pm-7:00pm, Monday to Friday.

    Interesting. The dip around 1991-92 is fairly clear - widely attributed
    to the helmet laws introduced in 1991, and best explained by a
    reduction in total cycling (reduced exposure), rather than by any
    improvement in cyclist head protection.

    An ongoing slow downtrend appears to be superimposed - but I have no
    data on concurrent changes in exposure. Surely total adult cycling
    per annum would have increased somewhat since the low of 91-92? And by
    rather a lot in the last couple of years, if my observations are any
    guide...

    "Commuting hours" deaths average a fairly modest 6.5 per year nationwide,
    rather less than I would have guessed. Census data indicates that
    about 2% of all commutes are by bicycle - maybe 200,000 individual
    cycle commuters; say 400,000 trips per day.

    So your chances of dying cycle commuting are rather less than your
    chances of winning Lotto ("break even" is at about five ordinary 8-game
    entries per year). Maybe advocates would do well to advertise the fact!

  9. "Yuri Budilov" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The problem I personally have with all these statistics (i.e. death by/due
    to cycling) is that they do not count the number of cyclists who have
    survived their accidents (regardless of who's fault it was!) but still


    paid

    Quoted message said:

    a high price like those: para/quadriplegics, broken bones, badly bruised,
    teeth and eye damage, etc...... I would love to see all of those. This
    should also include cycling accidents caused by poor road conditions and
    cyclists own mistakes - to be 100% fare. With car crashes more often than
    not the driver & passengers walk away with nothing broken/bruised beyond
    their vehicles.....

    Once you add those mishaps into equation I doubt bicycling statistics are
    all that healthy (pardon my pun!).....

    The problem you have is that these are statistics for fatalities. If you
    want the statistics for serious injuries, you need to look at the statistics
    for serious injuries, see, for example:
    http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/stats/pdf/serious_injury_2003.pdf

    You are quite right - the statistics for cyclists start to look a lot more
    ugly at this level.

  10. Yuri Budilov said:

    I only started cycling in Dec 2003 and every time I jump on my bike and
    "hit the road" I say a silent prayer that I return home in one safe and
    sound piece!
    Safe riding all!

    I have been commuting for 30 years now. The first time was from
    Redfern to the Sydney GPO. I lined up a friend to cycle with, but she
    piked it at the last moment, so I cycled alone amoungst the roaring
    inner city traffic.

    My number of accidents, self-inflicted and caused by others I can
    count on two hands. No broken bones luckily. A lot more close calls.
    This morning I watched the cyclist in front of me almost get 'doored'
    by a delivery truck driver openning his door without looking in
    Swanston street.

    Last Friday of the month I always attend 'mass' and say a prayer for
    those cyclists who weren't as fortunate or were victims of road rage.
    The more cyclists on the road, the safer it is for all of us!

    --

  11. Thanks Andy!

    exactly what I wanted to see.

    well, in 6 months periods from 1999-2002 the number of serious injuries to
    cyclists is about 1300 (i.e. 2600 per year) which is about the same as the
    number of pedestrians seriously injured and about 40% of the car drivers
    injured..... Not too flash, sadly.

    In fact it is even *worse* because the report states the serious injury
    counted when a person spends at least one night in the hospital. In many
    cases a fractured or even broken bone (rib? arm?) requires *no* over-night
    stay in the hospital and therefore no hospital admission. For example: my
    daughter fell off her bike and fractured/broken her arm in 2000. Not badly.
    We went to the hospital emergency and they handled all there, no overnight
    stay. She spent 6 weeks in cast. etc.... I am sure this accident was not
    counted as a serious injury. But it was bicycle related fall with injury
    nevertheless.. In many cases badly bruised cyclists (like me, in Jan 2004!)
    simply go to their GP or even recover on their own. When you add all of
    these bicycle crashes, the numbers are sure to be much worse again, perhaps
    as high as car drivers or even higher......

    Don't get me wrong - I love cycling - but I think it is much more dangerous
    form of sport/transport then many of us think or try to talk themselves into
    thinking.....

    IMHO

    Ride Safe!

    "Andy Simpson" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Yuri Budilov" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The problem I personally have with all these statistics (i.e. death


    by/due

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to cycling) is that they do not count the number of cyclists who have
    survived their accidents (regardless of who's fault it was!) but still


    paid

    Quoted message said:

    a high price like those: para/quadriplegics, broken bones, badly


    bruised,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    teeth and eye damage, etc...... I would love to see all of those. This
    should also include cycling accidents caused by poor road conditions and
    cyclists own mistakes - to be 100% fare. With car crashes more often


    than

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not the driver & passengers walk away with nothing broken/bruised beyond
    their vehicles.....

    Once you add those mishaps into equation I doubt bicycling statistics


    are

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    all that healthy (pardon my pun!).....

    The problem you have is that these are statistics for fatalities. If you
    want the statistics for serious injuries, you need to look at the


    statistics

    Quoted message said:

    for serious injuries, see, for example:
    http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/stats/pdf/serious_injury_2003.pdf

    You are quite right - the statistics for cyclists start to look a lot more
    ugly at this level.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.