Weight-Lifting for Legs

Originally Posted by Cevelo1 .

I set a goal for myself this year.
I want to push 500 watts for 1 hour.

So does Cancellara.

Armstrong would have loved that when he was winning the Tour.

It has probably all been said but I can't resist my two-penneth. Weight training can improve ccling performance. So can running. So can swimming. So can walking upstairs. They all work better than sitting on the couch. But in my opinion it is highly unlikely any of them improve cycling performance MORE so than additional EFFECTIVE on the bike training. In a 10 mile TT you might do 2000 reps at more than one a second. I cannot be convinced that 10 or 20 rep stuff, one every 3 to 5 seconds, is more beneficial than on the bike training. if you aren't already doing 12 hours or more on the bike, you still have major gains you can achieve from being on the bike.

Reactions: daveryanwyoming
I dont see weight training as a specific improvement for cycling - as you say thousands of repetitions etc.
where I do its need is working on muscles that have waisted and to get a balanced structure to avoid injuries.
For example - core strength.
Also if you do RR's then it certainly improves your sprint at the end and your turn of pace.
I do squats and follow that up with bench jumps to really hit the fast twitch muscles.
Of course becoming a better sprinter also requires an excellent anaerobic potential as RR's dont ride up to the line steady and then sprint for 10 secs - they are fast for at least 5mins out and you have to hold your speed and position towards the front and then put the sprint in at the end.
If your a TT man I think time spent on the bike is better and of course some core work as well.
What are your thoughts?

Totally agree with what you said actually. My mind is always locked in TT, but for RR the electric pace change to escape or the finishing sprint can benefit from some serious explosive leg strength. That said, it IS still possible to get that from on the bike training in my view. The comments about muscular balance and core strength I absolutely agree with.