Went Back To Steel

Turbo329

Aug 7, 2009
Well it was only a matter of time.

After 3 years of riding an Aluminum Trek 1.5 I have decided to go back to a Steel frame.

I bought my Specialized Allez Steel last Summer to commute on it. Little did I know that this 'Cheap' bike would grow on me. The road absorbing ability is incredible. And although heavier it holds it's speed well once it's up there.

The Trek although lighter by approx. 4lbs rattled my bones and aggravated my arthritis. Surprisingly though I could manage similar top speeds on the Specialized when sprinting. I noticed some flex coming from the Trek after 3,000 miles of riding and the Specialized Steel frame seemed stiffer. That was enough to sway me.

Long story short, I took my groupset, pedals and transferred them from the Trek to the Specialized and my custom wheelset along with it.

I still dream of a carbon frame and will probably splurge this year when I hit my target weight of 195-200lbs and enter a couple of races but for training I'm completely content with the old ChroMoly.

Anybody else riding Steel?

**I know I'm probably the only weirdo who actually likes downtube shifters.

Alf, I'm proud of you... A bike thread without the mention of Campag brifters! Bravo! :)

Turbo, the weight of the frame in the grand scheme of things isn't massively important when you're up around the 200lb mark. I'm sure the local bike shop will love to sell you a nice light carbon bike thats many lbs less and as a percentage weight difference for the frames it'll be a fairly big number - but don't think of it like that. Measure the weight of you in your riding gear and bike (shoes, helmet, under saddle bag, computer, full water bottles, etc etc) and work out the percentage difference with a 5lb lighter bike. Not a huge amount. If you weigh 140lbs and make your living racing then it's a different ball game.

If you want the carbon bike because it rides better or you just plain flat out want it "just because..." then great but don't expect to start flying up hills because of it.

At the end of the day it's all about how you feel during and more importantly at the end of the ride. If you dig the Specialized and it rides just the way you want then race it too.

I've had a few steel bikes - liked some, hated some. The irony is that the ones I liked the most cost the least....

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Alf, I'm proud of you... A bike thread without the mention of Campag brifters! Bravo! :)
FWIW. I guess it was because I think that downtube shifters are almost as efficient ...

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Turbo, the weight of the frame in the grand scheme of things isn't massively important when you're up around the 200lb mark. I'm sure the local bike shop will love to sell you a nice light carbon bike thats many lbs less and as a percentage weight difference for the frames it'll be a fairly big number - but don't think of it like that. Measure the weight of you in your riding gear and bike (shoes, helmet, under saddle bag, computer, full water bottles, etc etc) and work out the percentage difference with a 5lb lighter bike. Not a huge amount. If you weigh 140lbs and make your living racing then it's a different ball game.

If you want the carbon bike because it rides better or you just plain flat out want it "just because..." then great but don't expect to start flying up hills because of it.

At the end of the day it's all about how you feel during and more importantly at the end of the ride. If you dig the Specialized and it rides just the way you want then race it too.

I've had a few steel bikes - liked some, hated some. The irony is that the ones I liked the most cost the least....
Thanks. This is great advice. I know that in the grand scheme of things the 2lbs of frame weight won't really help me in what I'm planning to do. But on the other hand, I really dig the Carbon aero frames and plan to run a couple of Duathlons. So I've been eyeing a Litespeed C1 (also nice that the racing won't be in close quarters so no worries of being taken out). If I enter any crits it will definitely be on the Steel frame. I can't really fault the bike in any way.

Originally Posted by Turbo329 .

I like down-tube shifters too. I live in a hilly area so am stuck in the lowest gear most of the time anyway.

If I enter any crits it will definitely be on the Steel frame. I can't really fault the bike in any way.
You'll do crit races with down-tube shifters? I hope you know how to spin high cadences.

After 3 years of riding an Aluminum Trek 1.5 I have decided to go back to a Steel frame.
The best bike i've ever ridden was a steel framed roadie built in the early/mid 90's.

I bought my Specialized Allez Steel last Summer to commute on it. Little did I know that this 'Cheap' bike would grow on me. The road absorbing ability is incredible. And although heavier it holds it's speed well once it's up there.

The Trek although lighter by approx. 4lbs rattled my bones and aggravated my arthritis. Surprisingly though I could manage similar top speeds on the Specialized when sprinting. I noticed some flex coming from the Trek after 3,000 miles of riding and the Specialized Steel frame seemed stiffer. That was enough to sway me.

Long story short, I took my groupset, pedals and transferred them from the Trek to the Specialized and my custom wheelset along with it.

I still dream of a carbon frame and will probably splurge this year when I hit my target weight of 195-200lbs and enter a couple of races but for training I'm completely content with the old ChroMoly.

Anybody else riding Steel?

I too am on a Specialized Allez steel...but that's the only frame they made when I bought mine:

I've had this ride since 1989 and it had been hanging in my garage since about 1994-5ish when I started dealing with chronic pain from an old back injury and a 1995 shoulder blowout. I gained tons of weight and kept it on for years. I dropped the weight - down 160 pounds to date - and I am about to break back into the 190s for the first time in more than 20 years (my goal is 180). I am 6'4" and pushing 46 years old.

I toyed with a new bike but enjoyed this one so much I had to really consider my options. Instead, I opted for a full Ultegra 6700 group upgrade, dumping the downtube shifters. I just finished a quick ride and I have no problem maintaining an average speed of 21.3 mph (we have a LOT of hills, here). I am still stretching my legs and working up to my distances while still watching my weight drop. I am having a blast and I love this ride!

Originally Posted by 67Rally .

I too am on a Specialized Allez steel...but that's the only frame they made when I bought mine:

I've had this ride since 1989 and it had been hanging in my garage since about 1994-5ish when I started dealing with chronic pain from an old back injury and a 1995 shoulder blowout. I gained tons of weight and kept it on for years. I dropped the weight - down 160 pounds to date - and I am about to break back into the 190s for the first time in more than 20 years (my goal is 180). I am 6'4" and pushing 46 years old.

I toyed with a new bike but enjoyed this one so much I had to really consider my options. Instead, I opted for a full Ultegra 6700 group upgrade, dumping the downtube shifters. I just finished a quick ride and I have no problem maintaining an average speed of 21.3 mph (we have a LOT of hills, here). I am still stretching my legs and working up to my distances while still watching my weight drop. I am having a blast and I love this ride!

Wow! and yours is lugged like in the movie! :D

I did some upgrades to mine recently.

I took off the Shimano 2300 group set and replaced it with the full Tiagra that was on my Trek. I bought Dura Ace 9spd shifters though and will probably get a Dura Ace Cassette at some point. I also have Shimano 105 brakes that I just bought yesterday and my custom wheels that you see in my other pics with DT Swiss 240 hubs. The bike rides really nice and even though the bike is hovering around 23lbs I can't say that it's any slower than the 19lb trek that I had before.

When I first just starting riding this recently I was definitely slower but it turned out to be that my saddle was about 1/2 inch too low. I raised it a little and my power miraculously came back. hahahahahahahaha. It's amazing what big of a change a minor adjustment can make.

Based on all my research, a top of the line steel bike back in the '80s weighed about 22lbs. Today's top of the line steel bikes are around there as well. Some even lighter but today's general steel frames are around 25lbs like my Allez Steel in stock trim.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. A good Campy or SRAM groupo along with a quality wheelset will get a steel bike under 20lbs easy.

"go back"? I never left, carbon may have it's place but if I can't drop it on the ground with confidence, I've no use for it.
There's nothing like the cool factor of shifting both derailleurs with one hand!

Marc

Turbo329 wrote, in part:

"Both derailleurs with one hand. Now you've GOT to teach me that!"

I reply:

I thought that was supposed to be standard procedure!

Update:

Since my last post I've made some upgrades on my Allez Steel frame.

1. Ultegra Crank 53x39
  2. Dura Ace 9spd Cassette
  3. Ultegra Rear Derailleur
  4. Tiagra Front Derailleur
  5. Dura Ace Downtube Shifters
  6. FSA Alloy Compact Bars

Bike weighs 22.75lbs with my alloy clinchers (Probably 23lbs with the carbon wheels)

I entered a racing series on it and I was getting blown away but that was mostly due to my fitness. The last race of the series was yesterday and I stayed with the group until the last lap where I was dropped. I know I was dropped because I attacked Twice in the 8 lap race. I should've stayed out of the wind more.

A couple of points:

For bigger guys like myself (I was approx. 200lbs when the race began this past Sunday) AERO is KEY! If you're on the fence about Aero wheels I can only tell you to go for it (yeah I remember my other thread but I've had a change of heart since) and that you will not be disappointed. Even in spite of the heavier weight of the deep dish rim everything is easier. Even climbing while on someone's wheel. Descending is a breeze too and you'll be wondering why everyone is going backwards (I run Williams System 58). Weight helps you when going downhill and add some Aero wheels and you'll be passing guys even while they're spinning a gear. TRUST ME!

Secondly, don't fret too much about weight especially for climbs that only last about 1 minute or so. Just be well rested, glycogen loaded, and in a comfortable position on the bike. You'll be okay if you stay in the draft of the pack. You'll only go backwards on long climbs. But 1-3lbs on the bicycle really don't make THAT much of a difference. The only difference it makes is in "Perceived Effort".

Lastly, invest in a good road tire for the race. I can feel the difference in rolling resistance when I run my Michelin Pro Race 3 versus the other stuff that I train on (Lithion 2; Bontrager Race; Specialized Mondo Sport; Continental 4000)

**Sorry if I offended anyone by restating what most of you probably already know.

Here's a pic from my last race giving those Carbon bikes a workout! :D

I've been toying with a move to a CF frame. I spied a nice $175 Roubaix (Specialized) that was the right size but it had two suspect dings making me think that there could be hidden issues.

I ride a 1985 Allez 60cm (I've owned since 1989) that now has a full Ultegra 6700 groupo. The only original components are the headset, stem, fork and handlebar.

I am running Mavic Open Pro conventional wheels (Ultegra hubs) with Gatorskin clinchers.

I don't race, but I do ride with guys who do on training rides and I hang with them...even on sprints. My forte is in the climbs, though.

I am going to stick with my steel for a while longer.