Went Back To Steel

People who ride Steel are crazy!!

I always tell myself this will be the year I upgrade to a new bike, but my steelie is just so comfortable. I know its been echoed in this thread already, but I'm no less than 40 lbs overweight and switching to an aluminum/carbon bike will make no difference in my rides.

I have 5 steel bikes at this time, 1 custum Titanium, and 1 Aluminum/carbon frame that I just strpped the parts fron and am ss a selling the Alu as I don't like it for long rides. I bought it as stop-gap when I lost my steel rolmes out now thra fad race bikes. There are steel framesout now that are within a few ounces of Alu or Ti. I have been tempted by carbon but the stuff will not last and theTi and Steel will. STEEL IS REAL

After shopping newer Al and CF bikes for well over a year I finally settled on a project bike:

During my shopping I was riding a slightly older Varsity Sport and on each ride after testing something snazzy I noticed that the only thing I missed was the STI-style shifting, so in short order this will get that upgrade, probably to 9-speed Tiagra. I ride mainly on junky Oklahoma roads and this just soaks up the bumps.

Originally Posted by Pat Stowe .
I have been tempted by carbon but the stuff will not last
Is this a new phenomena? It is the first I am hearing of it.

danfoz said:
Is this a new phenomena? It is the first I am hearing of it.
Haven't you heard? Carbon fiber bikes explode. If you haven't heard that, then you'll just have to comfort yourself with the shocking fact that there is no evidence to support the claim that carbon fiber bikes don't last. Certainly things have changed since the first CF parts and frames were introduced, but even given that I've seen enough Cadex frames rolling about, as well as first and second generation Look frames to render the "CF frames don't last" myth laughable at best.

After 23 years on my 1985 Allez SE (I bought it from my brother who bought it new in '85), I am now moving to a CF bike. Sadly, my steel Allez suffered substantial damage during a spectacular paceline wipeout (caused by an inexperienced rider at the front) that sent me and my bike tumbling across the highway and into the ditch on the opposite side. My bike bounced on the front rim (causing severe lateral stress, collapsing the fork and wheel) and then again on the saddle (twisting the rails and tweaking the seatstays) along with destroying my shoulder (broken clavicle, grade III ruptures of calvicular ligaments).

The bike isn't repairable (yet my shoulder is being fixed on Monday). I had been doing research and test rides as I intended to retire the Allez to preserve it for posterity (I love the steel). Now, it will hang in my garage as a reminder of the past and the possible calamities that can befall us while on two wheels.

Somewhere Marcus and Davey Summer are shedding a tear...

My condolences. Glad you are on the mend. I had a steel Allez too, it was the early 90's re-introduction and not an original 80's model but I loved that bike.

I had a great old steel Raleigh (lugged CoMolly 12 spd) that was given to me by a friend. Interestingly... I was recently able to give the same bike back to my friends son. It was a pleasure to be able to share a part of bicycle history with the young man. There is certainly a specialness about modern steel bikes.... but [of course] it isn't a bestestness.

I may buy another [steel bike]! But I am not sure I really [completey] understand why.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

I may buy another [steel bike]! But I am not sure I really [completey] understand why.
I am considering something along these lines, for no logical reason... it's just a red n' chrome thang.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Somewhere Marcus and Davey Summer are shedding a tear...

My condolences. Glad you are on the mend. I had a steel Allez too, it was the early 90's re-introduction and not an original 80's model but I loved that bike.
Thanks.

I even have the ShaverSport jersey (blue with the "Allez" brand on the upper right chest area) that I was wearing at the time of this wreck.

My new bike is an all red 2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert (trying to retain some semblence of my original). I am transferring my standard 6700 crankset from the Allez to the Roubaix.

I used to have some Shaver Sport shorts. They were awful things on the bike.

QuoteOriginally Posted by alienator .

Haven't you heard? Carbon fiber bikes explode. If you haven't heard that, then you'll just have to comfort yourself with the shocking fact that there is no evidence to support the claim that carbon fiber bikes don't last. Certainly things have changed since the first CF parts and frames were introduced, but even given that I've seen enough Cadex frames rolling about, as well as first and second generation Look frames to render the "CF frames don't last" myth laughable at best.

It's not a myth, the "gaurantees" are not as long as for other materials or there are " loopholes" in them. Sales reps and shop owners refer to them in private conversations about carbon as follows, "They're not lifetime frames". The "return rate" and "breakage rate" for carbon is higher than other materials as well according, friends experinces, my own shop experience and to sales reps, shop owners, team and shop mechanics I know and few of them ride carbon as their "primary" . I admit, I would like to have a carbon frame for hill climbs, racing rtc. and when "money was on the table", but would stick to Titaniium or Steel for most uses.

4cc5b2fe-abc2-0a3e.jpg
Riding steel here....LOL i dont think an aluminum frame would be a good choice for me (although i ride an al MTB with no issues so...LOL) but i got the frame free and built from there....

Originally Posted by 67Rally .

After 23 years on my 1985 Allez SE (I bought it from my brother who bought it new in '85), I am now moving to a CF bike. Sadly, my steel Allez suffered substantial damage during a spectacular paceline wipeout (caused by an inexperienced rider at the front) that sent me and my bike tumbling across the highway and into the ditch on the opposite side. My bike bounced on the front rim (causing severe lateral stress, collapsing the fork and wheel) and then again on the saddle (twisting the rails and tweaking the seatstays) along with destroying my shoulder (broken clavicle, grade III ruptures of calvicular ligaments).

The bike isn't repairable (yet my shoulder is being fixed on Monday). I had been doing research and test rides as I intended to retire the Allez to preserve it for posterity (I love the steel). Now, it will hang in my garage as a reminder of the past and the possible calamities that can befall us while on two wheels.

what ya doing with the group set?

It's been a while since I posted. The Allez steel is serving me well and I even raced on it last season. It was the hills that kicked my butt and I know that had more to do with fitness.

Anyhow, I just took delivery of this today. I'll be keeping my steel bike for training and racing on this:

I know, I know.... I sold out. hahahaha

Originally Posted by 67Rally .

... Sadly, my steel Allez suffered substantial damage during a spectacular paceline wipeout (caused by an inexperienced rider at the front) that sent me and my bike tumbling across the highway and into the ditch on the opposite side. My bike bounced on the front rim (causing severe lateral stress, collapsing the fork and wheel) and then again on the saddle (twisting the rails and tweaking the seatstays) along with destroying my shoulder (broken clavicle, grade III ruptures of calvicular ligaments).

The bike isn't repairable ...

LL
Besides the injuries which you suffered, were more than the fork & front wheel destroyed on the bike?

A good frame builder can straighten-or-replace the frame's stays.

I'm pretty sure that CyclArt (Vista, CA) can do the repair if you can't find a "local" frame builder ...

• Heck, I think that CycleArt can even repair the fork if you have deep enough pockets ...
  • of course, a steel-or-CF replacement fork is another option.

Turbo329 said:
It's been a while since I posted.  The Allez steel is serving me well and I even raced on it last season.   It was the hills that kicked my butt and I know that had more to do with fitness.  Anyhow, I just took delivery of this today.  I'll be keeping my steel bike for training and racing on this:   I know, I know.... I sold out.   hahahaha
santa was good last year !

doctorold said:
Who on earth would ride steel?
i spotted the Vigorelli a couple of years ago, for my needs the perfect bike,but i ended up buying a Ti frame on sale, which turned out great anyway ;)

Originally Posted by vspa .

santa was good last year !
lol.

This is how she sits now with the Williams 58 clinchers. I threw on a Dura-Ace Cassette and a Dura-Ace Chain. It weighed in at 17.46lbs.

I put about 56 miles on it on Sunday and the ride is really nice. Extreme though. I had tired legs because I was about 2hrs into my ride this past Sunday when I came up on a seemingly fresh rider on a Cannondale Slice. If I recall correctly I would say that with me fully tucked in and with him in the Aero position he had me by about a wheel length along a nice stretch of road in windy conditions which speaks volumes about the Venge I think. We were traveling at approximately 25mph pushing our own wind.