Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

What are cycling shoes for?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 50 posts · 1,596 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 October 2005
Last activity
3 November 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
50
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,596
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 50
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I have been riding bicycle off and on for 40 years. I always wear
    whatever shoes, sandals, sometimes even flip-flops that are available
    to me at the time. In other words, I was not even aware of cycling
    shoes until recently (yeah, totally out of date.)

    My naive question to you is: What are they for? What are the benefits
    of cycling shoes. What are the disadvantages of cyling shoes, if any?

    Thanks all,
    Sam

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I have been riding bicycle off and on for 40 years. I always wear
    whatever shoes, sandals, sometimes even flip-flops that are available
    to me at the time. In other words, I was not even aware of cycling
    shoes until recently (yeah, totally out of date.)

    My naive question to you is: What are they for? What are the benefits
    of cycling shoes. What are the disadvantages of cyling shoes, if any?

    Stolen from REI's website:

    # Advantages—Offer superior foot-to-pedal energy transfer for
    efficient pedaling. It also allows you to pull on the upstroke for
    even more power.

    # Disadvantages—Have a steep learning curve; difficult to get out of
    when learning to use them and when mountain biking.

    --
    Live simply so that others may simply live

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    My naive question to you is: What are they for? What are the benefits
    of cycling shoes. What are the disadvantages of cyling shoes, if any?

    1. Cycling shoes are stiffer than sneakers. Flexy shoes pinch your feet
    when you pedal and cut off your circulation.
    2. Cycling shoes have mounts for cleats to hold your feet securely on
    the pedals for greater power and efficiency.

  4. Sam who? said:

    I have been riding bicycle off and on for 40 years. I always wear
    whatever shoes, sandals, sometimes even flip-flops that are
    available to me at the time. In other words, I was not even aware
    of cycling shoes until recently (yeah, totally out of date.)

    Quoted message said:

    My naive question to you is: What are they for? What are the
    benefits of cycling shoes. What are the disadvantages of cycling
    shoes, if any?

    From your comments I suspect you ride your bicycle for utility around
    town (in the flat lands). In that light I also suspect your bicycle
    is not a sporty, drop-bars, race derived model, so cycling shoes,
    shorts, jersey, and gloves would have no advantage for you.

    Although not all the folks who use athletic bicycling equipment are
    much different from you, and don't need the stuff, there are
    advantages. Bicycle shoes attach to pedals so the feet do not
    dislodge when turning higher speeds or riding over rough road. They
    are used by many riders to pull on the upstroke of the pedal for
    accelerating and climbing steep hills.

    When accelerating, especially in the standing position, pulling up and
    not slipping of the pedals at high cadence is only possible with shoes
    attached to pedals. When touring, having the feet properly and
    securely positioned on the pedals is a welcomed by most riders.

    Along with shoes, shorts and jerseys that don't flop in the breeze are
    aerodynamically advantageous as well as aiding in perspiration
    evaporation. Gloves prevent chafing especially in the crotch between
    thumb and forefinger for those who haven't developed callus there from
    many miles of riding.

    In exchange, I would like to know where you ride and on what sort of
    bicycle you do that. Does it look anything like this:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/

    Jobst Brandt

  5. Neil Brooks said:
    Quoted message said:

    Gloves prevent chafing especially in the crotch between thumb and
    forefinger for those who haven't developed callus there from many
    miles of riding.

    Quoted message said:

    These days, I spend less and less time cycling with my crotch
    between my thumb and forefinger ... though I do kinda' miss those
    days.

    CROTCH: An angle formed by the junction of two elements such as legs,
    tree limbs, fingers, ...

    Use a dictionary if you have trouble with words.

    Jobst Brandt

  6. Quoted message said:
    Neil Brooks said:
    Quoted message said:

    Gloves prevent chafing especially in the crotch between thumb and
    forefinger for those who haven't developed callus there from many
    miles of riding.

    Quoted message said:

    These days, I spend less and less time cycling with my crotch
    between my thumb and forefinger ... though I do kinda' miss those
    days.

    CROTCH: An angle formed by the junction of two elements such as legs,
    tree limbs, fingers, ...

    Use a dictionary if you have trouble with words.

    Paging Dr. Rosen:

    Patient needs a humor transplant, STAT!

    E.P.

  7. [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Gloves prevent chafing especially in the crotch between
    thumb and forefinger for those who haven't developed callus there from
    many miles of riding.

    These days, I spend less and less time cycling with my crotch between
    my thumb and forefinger ... though I do kinda' miss those days.

    [sorry]
    --
    Live simply so that others may simply live

  8. On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:14:31 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    # Advantages—Offer superior foot-to-pedal energy transfer for
    efficient pedaling.

    It's a little easier to control the bike with you foot connected too.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  9. Jobst,

    Quoted message said:

    From your comments I suspect you ride your bicycle for utility around
    town (in the flat lands). In that light I also suspect your bicycle
    is not a sporty, drop-bars, race derived model, so cycling shoes,
    shorts, jersey, and gloves would have no advantage for you.

    You are partially correct. I ride my bicycle for fun and for exercise.
    It's an old Trek 830 mountain bike (no suspension) with road tires and
    a flat handdle bar.

    Quoted message said:

    In exchange, I would like to know where you ride and on what sort of
    bicycle you do that. Does it look anything like this:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/

    Mine is definitely not a road bike. I live about 30 miles north of
    Houston. I ride about 3 times a week. Shortest ride is 15 miles, and
    longest is 50 miles. I'm approaching 50 years of age. In the past few
    months, I have been keeping track of my average speed during those
    ride. To my disappointment, my average speed is only 13mph for the 30
    miles non-stop ride. My highest speed is 16.6mph for exactly one hour.
    I am beginning to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Either in
    technique or in equipment or in both. As you have guessed, I don't use
    any cycling gears at all. Regular short, t-shirt, and tennis shoes.

    Thanks for your insights.
    Sam

  10. Being comfortable is a heck of a lot more important than average speed
    for a recreational cyclist.

    If you've got the money and inclination, grab some baggy mtb bike
    shorts---they'll make a huge difference in comfort, and some walkable
    cycling shoes and pedals to go with.

    I've ridden thousands of miles with Blundstone boots and regular pedal
    as a commuter--but if I'm out for real exercise, I like being able to
    mash away without worrying about discomfort or slipping off the pedal.

    I'm most certain new clipless shoes and pedals will improve your
    cycling comfort, and I bet they'll improve your speed a couple of miles
    per hour if you learn to use them properly.

    No worries though, if you're comfy now--don't sweat it.

  11. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You are partially correct. I ride my bicycle for fun and for exercise.
    It's an old Trek 830 mountain bike (no suspension) with road tires and
    a flat handdle bar.

    For a recreational cyclist not particularly interested in performance issues
    as such, one advantage of cycling shoes and clipless pedals (such as
    walkable SPD) is that once everything is adjusted properly, you get in your
    shoes, and then you know your foot position on the pedal and your seat
    height will be the same everytime (no change in sole thickness, for
    example). On the other hand, you might be just as well-served by ordinary
    "rat-trap" pedals (like you probably already have) and plastic "moon clips".
    These are sort of strapless half toe clips, just enough to prevent your foot
    from slipping forward off the pedal. With those, you can hop on the bike
    with any shoes. It's like using toe clips without the straps, but it's much
    easier to get your foot into them.

    Pierre

  12. Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I have been riding bicycle off and on for 40 years. I always wear
    whatever shoes, sandals, sometimes even flip-flops that are available
    to me at the time. In other words, I was not even aware of cycling
    shoes until recently (yeah, totally out of date.)

    My naive question to you is: What are they for? What are the benefits
    of cycling shoes. What are the disadvantages of cyling shoes, if any?

    Thanks all,
    Sam

    Nearly all cycling shoes these days are used with "clipless" pedals.
    These pedals are simply a mechanical device that locks a "cleat",
    permanently mounted on the shoe, to the pedal. Heel rotation causes
    release (intentional or in a crash).

    You can use these shoes with plain, flat "platform" pedals. Usually the
    cleat mounting holes/pocket have a removable cover, which you can leave
    on for flat pedals.

    Cycling shoes are like many sport shoes -- light and well vented. The
    major difference is that the soles are very stiff, which prevents the
    foot from "folding over" the pedal -- clipless or flat. Typically, this
    is really only a comfort issue on long rides. That said, I've seen lots
    of people (myself, included) do long rides in sneakers without any
    difficulties.

    Clipless pedals are primarily a safety and comfort thing. Attaching the
    pedals with clips and straps was the practice for a long time. This
    prevented the foot from slipping off the pedal, but was somewhat
    uncomfortable and sometimes presented difficulties in engaging and
    disengaging.

    In terms of performance, any method of attaching the foot to the pedal
    has primarily 2 advantages. First, it means you don't have to keep some
    pressure on the pedal at all times, only the part of the stroke that's
    contributing to move the bike; and second, it allows "pulling up" for
    the relatively rare and brief times that extra power is needed. Both
    advantages are relatively minor, especially in non-competitive cycling.

  13. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I have been riding bicycle off and on for 40 years. I always wear
    whatever shoes, sandals, sometimes even flip-flops that are available
    to me at the time. In other words, I was not even aware of cycling
    shoes until recently (yeah, totally out of date.)

    My naive question to you is: What are they for? What are the benefits
    of cycling shoes. What are the disadvantages of cyling shoes, if any?

    Thanks all,
    Sam

    Nearly all cycling shoes these days are used with "clipless" pedals.
    These pedals are simply a mechanical device that locks a "cleat",
    permanently mounted on the shoe, to the pedal. Heel rotation causes
    release (intentional or in a crash).

    You can use these shoes with plain, flat "platform" pedals. Usually the
    cleat mounting holes/pocket have a removable cover, which you can leave
    on for flat pedals.

    Cycling shoes are like many sport shoes -- light and well vented. The
    major difference is that the soles are very stiff, which prevents the
    foot from "folding over" the pedal -- clipless or flat. Typically, this
    is really only a comfort issue on long rides. That said, I've seen lots
    of people (myself, included) do long rides in sneakers without any
    difficulties.

    Clipless pedals are primarily a safety and comfort thing. Attaching the
    pedals with clips and straps was the practice for a long time. This
    prevented the foot from slipping off the pedal, but was somewhat
    uncomfortable and sometimes presented difficulties in engaging and
    disengaging.

    In terms of performance, any method of attaching the foot to the pedal
    has primarily 2 advantages. First, it means you don't have to keep some
    pressure on the pedal at all times, only the part of the stroke that's
    contributing to move the bike; and second, it allows "pulling up" for
    the relatively rare and brief times that extra power is needed. Both
    advantages are relatively minor, especially in non-competitive cycling.

    The traditional solution of toe clips and straps has advantages that recent
    pedals and shoes do not.

    a) any type of shoe can be worn
    b) you are not bound to a particular manufacturer's planned-obselesence
    cycle
    c) straps can be left loose for casual use
    d) maintenance and/or cleaning of the "clipping" mechanism is not required
    e) they don't make any of those dammed clicking noises. Only freewheels
    should click.

  14. "

    Quoted message said:


    The traditional solution of toe clips and straps has DISadvantage that
    recent
    pedals and shoes do not.

    a) starting a ride on a steep, uneven surface (as it most often happens
    while riding anywhere else but tarmac) up the hill is next to impossible

    Cheers,

    Tomek Li

  15. "Tomek Li" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "

    Quoted message said:


    The traditional solution of toe clips and straps has DISadvantage that
    recent
    pedals and shoes do not.

    a) starting a ride on a steep, uneven surface (as it most often happens
    while riding anywhere else but tarmac) up the hill is next to impossible


    I have no trouble doing the above with normal pedals and toe clips.

    And quite why you think that most rides happen starting uphill should be
    supported.

  16. Quoted message said:

    I'm most certain new clipless shoes and pedals will improve your
    cycling comfort, and I bet they'll improve your speed a couple of miles
    per hour if you learn to use them properly.

    Maxo,

    Wow, this is encouraging. I wonder if that speed improvement would
    apply to me. My cadence is between 55 and 65rpm. That's how I've been
    riding eversince I was a kid. I'm conciously working to hit an average
    75rpm cadence.

    Sam

  17. Quoted message said:

    First, it means you don't have to keep some
    pressure on the pedal at all times, only the part of the stroke that's
    contributing to move the bike

    Thanks Peter. This is new to me. It makes a lot of sense.
    Sam

  18. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm most certain new clipless shoes and pedals will improve your
    cycling comfort, and I bet they'll improve your speed a couple of miles
    per hour if you learn to use them properly.

    Quoted message said:

    Wow, this is encouraging. I wonder if that speed improvement would
    apply to me. My cadence is between 55 and 65rpm. That's how I've been
    riding eversince I was a kid. I'm conciously working to hit an average
    75rpm cadence.

    I think maxo exaggerated. I love my clipless pedals, and I'm not going
    to clips 'n straps any time soon. But I have difficulty imagining that
    pedals will make a 13 mph rider into a 14-15 mph rider.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  19. dvt said:


    I think maxo exaggerated. I love my clipless pedals, and I'm not going
    to clips 'n straps any time soon. But I have difficulty imagining that
    pedals will make a 13 mph rider into a 14-15 mph rider.

    Dave,

    Are you saying that I should expect zero or negligible (less than 1%)
    performance improvement? If so, then the shoes/pedals combo is more of
    a comfort matter?

    Sam

  20. i wanted to try the diadora touring but my american feet are too large
    qnd too large for the current pedal run!!
    replacing the '87 asian rat traps with bear traps, i found the new
    pedals sized 10mm narrower or 20mm total.
    so, my feet didn't fit on top the pedals but outboard. placing feet on
    the pedals dispositioned my hip joints!
    plywood covers bolted to the bear traps solved the problem and my hips
    and feet are joyous
    a similar situation exists in stock bars-narrow to save steel but
    constrictive of lung function. installing a wider bar gives higher
    performance with better breathing or as said, higher performance with
    greater hip/foot efficiency exceeding the greater drag with more
    frontal area (which maybe bs to save steel)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.