What do you wear on your commute

Sarah23

Apr 25, 2006
Just wondering what everyone wears. At first I felt stupid wearing cycling gear (didn't we all?). Now I feel stupid if I don't wear it. Yet I see lots of everyday people riding bikes to work in the morning wearing ordinary clothing.

Is it a bit silly to 'gear up' for a 30minute bike ride?

The correct gear is imperative, in my opinion.
The jersey prevents bronchitis as you don't get a chill on your torso.
Also "wicks" sweat from my body to the airstream...preventing chills again.... knicks prevent saddle sores and sore bum...I don't care what people think, if they want to laugh (and they always do) well I said to one lady here at work (I work in an office) yesterday...
"riding to work is not normal, but look around the office, "normal" is having a cholestorol level in double digits, and looking like something the Japanese would like to harpoon "

For short commutes, (mine have never been over 11 miles/18km), I am in favor of light sports gear. You don't need compression shorts for a sub-1-hour ride. Sports clothes have the wicking properties and breathability you need, and you don't have to make a big investment to buy a week's worth.

Another indispensable piece of gear for biking in the rain by busy streets is some kind of mask. Consider:

1. Animal tries to cross street; dies.
2. Animal carcass becomes microbial stew.
3. It rains; cars kick up fine, microbial mist.
4. You ride by the side of the road and breathe mist.

Cycling gear here - all the way.:D

I'm currently trying to find something more warm. It's getting very cold in melbourne. I went for a ride the other day with bike pants, longs rain coat, and jersy and was still freezing. Can someone reccommend a long sleve (longs or skins) that would help?

Thanks everyone (sorry to hijaak the thread a lil)
Haydon.

garage sale GT said:
For short commutes, (mine have never been over 11 miles/18km), I am in favor of light sports gear. You don't need compression shorts for a sub-1-hour ride. Sports clothes have the wicking properties and breathability you need, and you don't have to make a big investment to buy a week's worth.

Another indispensable piece of gear for biking in the rain by busy streets is some kind of mask. Consider:

1. Animal tries to cross street; dies.
2. Animal carcass becomes microbial stew.
3. It rains; cars kick up fine, microbial mist.
4. You ride by the side of the road and breathe mist.

Just went for a ride down to the shops in regular clothing (w' clipless shoes)

Cons:
My pants got caught on the chain ring--nothing an elastic band wouldn't fix next time. Maybe even a sleeve to protect my right pant leg from the inevitable chainring tattoo.

Pros:
Was dressed appropriately for anything (e.g. clothes shopping, coffee with non-cycling friends etc).
That is, I feel more free to behave in the same manner that I would if I had driven down --- just can't buy as much as it has to fit in the pannier!!.

Hmm. If I wanted to wear a cycling top and jeans I could probably get the best of both worlds. :eek:

Sarah23 said:

Cons:
My pants got caught on the chain ring--nothing an elastic band wouldn't fix next time. Maybe even a sleeve to protect my right pant leg from the inevitable chainring tattoo.

Pros:
Was dressed appropriately for anything (e.g. clothes shopping, coffee with non-cycling friends etc).
That is, I feel more free to behave in the same manner that I would if I had driven down --- just can't buy as much as it has to fit in the pannier!!.

Hmm. If I wanted to wear a cycling top and jeans I could probably get the best of both worlds. :eek:
I have been commuting and running errands by bike very often these days. I use a mix of cycling specific clothing, and street clothes, so that I can be comfortable, and still be dressed OK for the coffee shop, store, insurance office, or wherever I may be headed.

I usually wear jerseys that look somewhat like normal clothes, but have a cycling cut, and rear pockets, as well as a vent zipper. Two of my favorites are by SOMA Fabrications of San Francisco.

see: http://www.somafab.com/longsleeve.html

I usuall wear a padded cycling brief under my regular pants or shorts, and then my clipless shoes.
something like: http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/clothing/22301.html

That has served me well for my 30-45 minute rides.

Cheers and good luck!

Sarah23 said:

Cons:

Pros:

If I want to take the bike down to the local shops I tie the laces of my shoes to my belt and roll up my trouser legs. Once there, I just need to carry my bike shoes around.

I bike to school in full cycling gear... it's a 15 mile one way and the shorts and jersey definatly make the trip much more comfortable... i bring a light change of clothes to change into when i get there. who cares what looks you get.. it's a blast arriving on campus looking official!

I voted cycling gear but I will also wear sports shirts with wicking properties and/or similar material shorts but with either cycling knicks or 'under' knicks type shorts beneath. Wouldn't wear normal underwear as I've had chafing and I don't like the feeling. Also, I don't like clothing which will make me feel damp and leave ugly looking sweat marks down your back, armpit etc. (the look is not a hit with the girls ;):)). I don't think you have to spend a lot to get the gear. Most of mine were bought at sales etc and most don't make me look like a rolling advertising poster. As a friend of mine always says 'I'm a simple man with simple tastes.'