What do you wear under your shorts?

lgrem

May 25, 2010
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the biking world and I am wondering what type of undergarment does everyone wear under their biking shorts. When I wear regular underwear, I tend to get irritation after long rides. Is there any alternative, other than going "commando"?

What about during triathlons? If you swim and bike in the same shorts.......same problems.

Any suggestions?

The chamois is meant to be worn directly against your skin or you will get bunching of the wet material (under shorts) resulting in what you are experiencing.

In my humble opinion, any chamois that is only stitched in place will wear thin at the stitches and/or the stitching will start to break down over time. Some shorts use a bonding process. These seem to last much longer. For the price, I like Velowear.

Use a chamois creme to reduce friction, too. These are formulated to keep bacteria generation down and reduce rashes.

Anyway--that's been my experience.

Igrem is correct...but it depends on the person.

I personally ride with underwear on even though the correct way is not too. Why do I ride with underwear you scream, because I don't have an issue with it bunching up and chaffing me, thus in turn it keeps the chamois clean even though I wash my shorts after every ride. I also don't use any cream and never have because rash problems have never occurred to me. You may be thinking I wear underwear and don't use cream because I just ride around the block, your right if a block is 100 miles around!

It depends on the person whether or not they need to spend money on cream or if they prefer to use underwear. Don't spend money on cream if your not having any issues; wearing underwear is optional, try with and without to see which you prefer.

Definitely commando with the shorts, this has been asked and answered many times before.

There are shorts and skinsuits specially designed for triathlons, these have a thinner chamois that dries faster.

cyberlegend1994 said:
Definitely commando with the shorts, this has been asked and answered many times before.

There are shorts and skinsuits specially designed for triathlons, these have a thinner chamois that dries faster.

Yup.

I ride with underwear on too, if I'm going for a long ride I put some vaseline on, this has always worked great for me.

I tried just wearing vaseline but the bugs stick to my skin. I switched to baby oil.Still it gets a bit chilly at times.

May not be the "right" way, but I've had really good luck with the Under Armour classic boxer briefs under my bibs/chamois. They breathe incredibly well, have a placket style inseam so there are no seams at any of the saddle contact points, and I have had no issues w/ bunching or rubbing. At ~$20 a pair, they are a bit pricey however.

I wear my wife's thongs.

Just kidding. :D

Seriously, I wear MY underwear under the padded liner or under the padded shorts I have. I've never had any issues with irritation.

Definately Comando for me, other wise it gets realy uncomfortable with the rubbing of the underwear

For the longest time, I wore boxer briefs under my shorts. But after some reading, I realized that the stitching adds micro pressure to your underside. Chafing is bad. A buddy recommended commando and using Chamois butter. It felt awkward at first, but I am so much more comfortable with it now. I also prefer having dry underwear to change into after commuting to work. But as the guys say, you gotta try it to see what works. You can buy a small sample size of chamois butter at your local bike shop for a dollar or 2?

I want to start wearing Zooey Deschanel under my shorts:

zooeydeschanel01a.jpg

I used to wear underwear when I went out riding all the time and it was comfortable and then one day I decided to just try and go commando and I haven't been back since. It is such a great feeling of more space and freedom and I don't worry about the seams showing through the shorts. I don't use chamois though.

Hair and skin:eek:....Oh, too much information:eek:. I have forgotten to remove my underwear before putting on my shorts a couple of times and sweated too profusely to describe here.

jhuskey said:
I tried just wearing vaseline but the bugs stick to my skin. I switched to baby oil.Still it gets a bit chilly at times.

Pass; too easy. :p