Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

What hub to get for a singlespeed

Started by Hubless · · Last activity · 17 posts · 1,791 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
25 March 2003
Last activity
30 March 2003
Original author
Hubless
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,791
Views / 30 days
6
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to get
    in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.

    What hub/freewheel system is best?

    What I know is that I want a Surly 1x1 with disc brakes. Disc front for sure, rear optional
    (depending on a flip/flop system)

    That brings me to the main question.. what is best? Go with a filp/flop with 2 different sized gears
    for on the trail flexibility? I had a friend said he would trade his for a standard hub spaced out
    for singlespeed (with tension device). I have had someone suggest a "solid axle with track nuts"
    (not sure if that was meant to be used with a standard hub) - or a Novatec disc hub that uses a
    cassette cog instead of a freewheel (huh?)... way too many options.

    WHat I want - something easy to change if I need too. Disc brakes front & rear would be very nice,
    but if that gives up too much flexibility I can go disc front only.

    I don't want something too cheap that it wears out or breaks (of course)

    I don't want the fixed hub (I think it is called) where you can pedal forwards and backwards.

    This is my first singlespeed purchase. I just want to make a "best guess" for the first time, and
    modify as needed once I start to learn.

    Thanks...

    ----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    newsfeed.comnewsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19
    East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  2. Hubless <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to
    get in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.

    What hub/freewheel system is best?

    Chris King

    JD

  3. JD said:

    Hubless <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<3e80a9e9$1_1@text- west.newsgroups.com>...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to
    get in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.

    What hub/freewheel system is best?

    Chris King

    JD

    Phil Wood!

    Miles

    actually, I ride (and love to no end) Paul's.

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: opera.comm2

  4. miles todd <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<oprmmqy31mlkb6ka@news-server>...

    Quoted message said:
    JD said:

    Hubless <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<3e80a9e9$1_1@text- west.newsgroups.com>...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to
    get in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.

    What hub/freewheel system is best?

    Chris King

    JD

    Phil Wood!

    Miles

    actually, I ride (and love to no end) Paul's.

    I ride the WORD hubs too and like them, but CK is still the best. No damn aftermarket freewheels to
    deal with seems unbeatable, as does CK quality and durability.

    JD

  5. (JD) said:

    I ride the WORD hubs too and like them, but CK is still the best. No damn aftermarket freewheels to
    deal with seems unbeatable, as does CK quality and durability.

    I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is [censored]; the aluminum axle is comes with
    stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced with
    Phil Wood).

    Only issue with King is that it sounds like a fishing reel when freewheeling and some folks find it
    annoying. That's their problem. --dt

  6. Don't fall into the Chris King hype - and that's all it is. Six friends of mine have all had
    problems with their hubs - from the freehubs locking up to the hubs constantly loosening up. After a
    few weeks of down time, CK did fix it, but it's still a PITA.

    The Phil hubs are a good choice.

    Lee Bower

    "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hubless <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to
    get in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.

    What hub/freewheel system is best?

    Chris King

    JD

  7. Hubless said:

    Ok, I am stating up front that I am in no way versed in the singlespeed cult/culture. I want to get
    in on it though.. so I have a question that stems from much confusion.

    What hub/freewheel system is best?

    "Best" Best for what? So many different meanings to "best".

    Quoted message said:


    What I know is that I want a Surly 1x1 with disc brakes. Disc front for sure, rear optional
    (depending on a flip/flop system)

    That brings me to the main question.. what is best?

    There you go with "best" again.

    Quoted message said:

    Go with a filp/flop with 2 different sized gears for on the trail flexibility?

    You're analyzing too much.

    Quoted message said:


    WHat I want - something easy to change if I need too. Disc brakes front & rear would be very nice,
    but if that gives up too much flexibility I can go disc front only.

    If you want flexibility get a geared pig!

    Quoted message said:


    I don't want something too cheap that it wears out or breaks (of course)

    Starting to make sense now.

    Quoted message said:

    This is my first singlespeed purchase. I just want to make a "best guess" for the first time, and
    modify as needed once I start to learn.

    Welcome aboard, make some decisions on your own.....You can get a very good frame in Surly, I've
    heard very good things. Personally I wanted something lighter. Your ratio will depend on your style
    and terrain.

    Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  8. Lee Bower said:

    Don't fall into the Chris King hype - and that's all it is.

    Very interesting, very interesting indeed,

    Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  9. Doug Taylor said:
    (JD) said:

    I ride the WORD hubs too and like them, but CK is still the best. No damn aftermarket freewheels
    to deal with seems unbeatable, as does CK quality and durability.

    I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is [censored]; the aluminum axle is comes with
    stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced
    with Phil Wood).

    Sweet something to look forward to.

    Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  10. Bill Wheeler <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Lee Bower said:

    Don't fall into the Chris King hype - and that's all it is.

    Very interesting, very interesting indeed,

    Yeah, I think I'll toss the CK headsets I have. Not doing any maintenance on them sure is boring.

    JD

  11. "Bill Wheeler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is [censored]; the aluminum axle is comes with
    stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced
    with Phil Wood).

    Sweet something to look forward to.

    As I said, the Spot hub comes stock with an alu axle. After it broke, took the wheel to the LBS for
    replacement of the axle as well as the crumby bearings. They ordered Phil Wood bearings, but ordered
    the new axle from Spot. Spot shipped them a stainless axle because the alu is for riders "under 120
    lbs." Huh? What percentage of mtb'ers are under 120 lbs? Females and kids. Not the majority who are
    dew slammin' testosterone charged doods, eh? So how come the stainless axle is not stock, and the
    alu an option? Don't know, but I know I'll feel more secure riding the SS with a stainless axle.

  12. Yeah, and what cartridge headset requires maintenance? I have CK headsets on a few of my bikes. But
    I haven't found them to be any more reliable than the Cane Creek C2 headsets I have on a few others
    - including my DH bike that seems to spend a fair amount of time under water.

    Again, most of the CK stuff (headsets, not hubs) are okay, but the performance and reliability is
    not any better than some parts that are a third of the cost. CK parts are good for those who like to
    show off with bikes that say "I'm rich!"

    Just ride...

    Lee

    "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Bill Wheeler <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Lee Bower said:

    Don't fall into the Chris King hype - and that's all it is.

    Very interesting, very interesting indeed,

    Yeah, I think I'll toss the CK headsets I have. Not doing any maintenance on them sure is boring.

    JD

  13. Doug Taylor said:

    "Bill Wheeler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got Spot on my SS and King on my gearie. The Spot is [censored]; the aluminum axle is comes with
    stock broke (now replaced with stainless), and the bearings seized after a season (now replaced
    with Phil Wood).

    Sweet something to look forward to.

    As I said, the Spot hub comes stock with an alu axle. After it broke, took the wheel to the LBS for
    replacement of the axle as well as the crumby bearings. They ordered Phil Wood bearings, but
    ordered the new axle from Spot. Spot shipped them a stainless axle because the alu is for riders
    "under 120 lbs." Huh? What percentage of mtb'ers are under 120 lbs? Females and kids. Not the
    majority who are dew slammin' testosterone charged doods, eh? So how come the stainless axle is not
    stock, and the alu an option? Don't know, but I know I'll feel more secure riding the SS with a
    stainless axle.

    Very good info. Thanks, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
    that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  14. Lee Bower said:

    Yeah, and what cartridge headset requires maintenance? I have CK headsets on a few of my bikes. But
    I haven't found them to be any more reliable than the Cane Creek C2 headsets I have on a few others
    - including my DH bike that seems to spend a fair amount of time under water.

    Again, most of the CK stuff (headsets, not hubs) are okay, but the performance and reliability is
    not any better than some parts that are a third of the cost. CK parts are good for those who like
    to show off with bikes that say "I'm rich!"

    Just ride...

    Lee

    hmmmm? ..... I'm not rich, at least I don't think so, but what does that matter I'm not running in
    CK parts.....yet.

    I do like your view of CK. I've "heard" that CK parts are over built. If you tend to be hard on
    stuff, I think CK is the way to go. This is what I've heard from someone at an LBS. For most mortals
    a less expensive solution may suffice.

    Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  15. "Lee Bower" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>... <snip dementia>

    Grow a little, tiny.

    JD

  16. Thanks for the proof. It is true, JD does drastically lower the median IQ of this newsgroup.

    Lee

    "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Lee Bower" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    <snip dementia>

    Grow a little, tiny.

    JD

  17. "Lee Bowel" <[email hidden]> top posted
    news:<[email hidden]>... <snip dementia again>

    Yeah, I drag down the median IQ so much, why don't you go back to car audio, doj trux, moto or
    whatever other newsgroup you may grace with your "high intelligence". Now go [censored] up some other
    rope, humpy.

    JD

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.