What is the best bike computer with Altimeter & Inclinometer?

CaRoller1

Jun 28, 2005
Am in the market to buy a bike computer (attachable to handle-bars) and, because I do a lot of uphill/downhill riding thought an altimeter with inclinometer would be a great option. However, there is a paucity of info on which brand/model is actually best since it seems most have good positives but also bad negatives. I would prefer wireless and also cadence but if it doesn't have cadence then it isn't a big deal.

So far, I looked at:

-Vetta V100A
-Specialized 05 Turbo Pro (sold out and unknown when 06's are coming out)
-Ciclosport CM414 & Ciclosport CM343
-Cateye AT100 (this isn't listed on the cateye.com website anymore)
-VDO MC 1.0+ (hardly any info on this one)

Anyone have any advice as far as the above or any other computers I should be looking into? Price isn't really that important, but I do want it to be reliable and well-made.

Thanks!

I own two Ciclosport CM434s and like them a lot. Very reliable and lots of info, especially relative to % grade and altitude. The two minor negatives: the computer requires three batteries total. When one is not working, it takes a little testing to find which one is dead. Also, there is a slight lag time (approx. 5-10 secs.) in registering real time % grade. The wireless feature has worked fine w/out any interferance issues. I used this model when I followed the Tour de France through the Pyrennes in 2003 and was very happy with it.

CaRoller1 said:
Am in the market to buy a bike computer (attachable to handle-bars) and, because I do a lot of uphill/downhill riding thought an altimeter with inclinometer would be a great option. However, there is a paucity of info on which brand/model is actually best since it seems most have good positives but also bad negatives. I would prefer wireless and also cadence but if it doesn't have cadence then it isn't a big deal.

So far, I looked at:

-Vetta V100A
-Specialized 05 Turbo Pro (sold out and unknown when 06's are coming out)
-Ciclosport CM414 & Ciclosport CM343
-Cateye AT100 (this isn't listed on the cateye.com website anymore)
-VDO MC 1.0+ (hardly any info on this one)

Anyone have any advice as far as the above or any other computers I should be looking into? Price isn't really that important, but I do want it to be reliable and well-made.

Thanks!

Thank you for the info! I heard that the Cliclosport CM434 can be a bit bulky and sticks up quite a bit from the handlebars, especially compared to the Specialized Turbo Pro... is this what you've experienced? Do you have the cadence kit with it and, if so, how does it work?

Thanks again!

sschofield said:
I own two Ciclosport CM434s and like them a lot. Very reliable and lots of info, especially relative to % grade and altitude. The two minor negatives: the computer requires three batteries total. When one is not working, it takes a little testing to find which one is dead. Also, there is a slight lag time (approx. 5-10 secs.) in registering real time % grade. The wireless feature has worked fine w/out any interferance issues. I used this model when I followed the Tour de France through the Pyrennes in 2003 and was very happy with it.

Yes, it does sit up a little taller than others I have seen. This is where the third battery is housed. I am not sure why they designed it like this, but there is probably a reason. Perhaps some research will explain the reason, I have never bothered to check it out. I don't have the cadence kit feature so I can't provide any feedback. Good luck w/ your search.

CaRoller1 said:
Thank you for the info! I heard that the Cliclosport CM434 can be a bit bulky and sticks up quite a bit from the handlebars, especially compared to the Specialized Turbo Pro... is this what you've experienced? Do you have the cadence kit with it and, if so, how does it work?

Thanks again!

The wireless receiver of the CM434 is what causes the unit to stick up more than usual. If you use the wired kit for speed and cadnce, the unit looks just like most other bike computers. For some reason, Ciclosport didn't build the wireless into the computer itself--similar to the Sigma Sport computers that require a seperate receiver to make use of the wireless option. I used one of the older CM414's and didn't mind it much at all. I chose not to use it any more based on the lag in "real time" changes, and I thought the power feature would be better/more helpful than it really is (doesn't take into account for wind at all, and lags quite a bit since its based on speed, cadence and inclination). Hope this helps.