What is the cause of flat tire because of folded tube?

Dear all,

Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded inside
and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched the hole,
but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it because the
incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct size then? The
mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube bears the same mark.
The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated on the mark, and the
puncture happened on the asphalt road which is smooth. Btw, I had
been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter uphill just before the
puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Markus

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
> inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded inside
> and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched the hole,
> but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it because the
> incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct size then? The
> mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube bears the same mark.
> The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated on the mark, and the
> puncture happened on the asphalt road which is smooth. Btw, I had
> been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter uphill just before the
> puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.
>
> Regards,
> Markus

Sounds like whoever installed the tube did a sloppy job, left a crease
in the tube, and the resulting stress on the tube caused a tear. I
usually inflate my tubes just enough to make them hold a tubular shape
before putting them inside the tire, just to keep the tube from getting
folded or creased.
mark

> Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
> inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded inside
> and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched the hole,
> but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it because the
> incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct size then? The
> mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube bears the same mark.
> The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated on the mark, and the
> puncture happened on the asphalt road which is smooth. Btw, I had
> been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter uphill just before the
> puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.

A "fold" in a tube inside a tire is often caused by riding a short distance
when it's flat, particularly for a rear tire. The reason is that the tire is
creeping around the rim, trying to drag the tube with it, but the tube's
valve stem holds it in place. Thus the tube bunches up at this point. The
fact that the hole was near the folded-up area could be coincidence.
Obviously, if the tube is bunching up (or "folded") elsewhere, this is not
the cause.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky writes:

>> Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
>> inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded
>> inside and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched
>> the hole, but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it
>> because the incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct
>> size then? The mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube
>> bears the same mark. The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated
>> on the mark, and the puncture happened on the asphalt road which is
>> smooth. BTW, I had been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter
>> uphill just before the puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.

> A "fold" in a tube inside a tire is often caused by riding a short
> distance when it's flat, particularly for a rear tire. The reason
> is that the tire is creeping around the rim, trying to drag the tube
> with it, but the tube's valve stem holds it in place. Thus the tube
> bunches up at this point. The fact that the hole was near the
> folded-up area could be coincidence. Obviously, if the tube is
> bunching up (or "folded") elsewhere, this is not the cause.

I'll vote for that. I recall from the days of inner tubes in cars
that folds caused no problem over many miles. Likewise folds in
bicycle inner tubes have never caused a flat for me.

Worth mentioning in this regard, is that when you meet a rider with an
irreparable flat tube, regardless of tire size, a road tire tube
stuffed into a fat MTB tire will work as will the converse although
that is harder to stuff into the tire and stretch onto the rim. Don't
worry about the folded tube. It works if need be.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
> inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded inside
> and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched the hole,
> but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it because the
> incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct size then? The
> mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube bears the same mark.
> The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated on the mark, and the
> puncture happened on the asphalt road which is smooth. Btw, I had
> been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter uphill just before the
> puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.

Your climb is a red herring.

Your flat sounds like an installation error.

When installing a tube, inflate until it is just round in cross section
so it cannot fold over itself. Put the tube inside the tire, lift a
rubber rim liner and pass the valve through it then into the rim. Mount
one side of the tire fully, push the tube across and then mount the
other side of the tire using hands only- no tools. If it is difficult,
end at the valve (the tire edge must fall to the center where you are
not lifting the edge over the top. The valve prevents that.)

Once the tire is mounted, inflate halfway and spin the wheel, noting
the molded line just above the brake track. It should be visible and
roughly even all the way around on both sides. If it is low, pull it up
but ensure it's all visible before fully inflating

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
>> inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded inside
>> and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched the hole,
>> but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it because the
>> incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct size then? The
>> mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube bears the same mark.
>> The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated on the mark, and the
>> puncture happened on the asphalt road which is smooth. Btw, I had
>> been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter uphill just before the
>> puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.

> Your climb is a red herring.
>
> Your flat sounds like an installation error.
>
> When installing a tube, inflate until it is just round in cross section so
> it cannot fold over itself. Put the tube inside the tire, lift a rubber
> rim liner and pass the valve through it then into the rim. Mount one side
> of the tire fully, push the tube across and then mount the other side of
> the tire using hands only- no tools. If it is difficult, end at the valve
> (the tire edge must fall to the center where you are not lifting the edge
> over the top. The valve prevents that.)
>
> Once the tire is mounted, inflate halfway and spin the wheel, noting the
> molded line just above the brake track. It should be visible and roughly
> even all the way around on both sides. If it is low, pull it up but ensure
> it's all visible before fully inflating
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew,
Very clear instructions, except am not sure what "lift a rubber rim liner"
means. I know what a rubber rim liner is, but don't know how lifting one
would help pass the valve through it.
Thanks,
Kerry

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> Very clear instructions, except am not sure what "lift a rubber rim liner"
> means. I know what a rubber rim liner is, but don't know how lifting one
> would help pass the valve through it.

Most better rims now are hollow section and must have a cloth or
polyurethane liner. Less expensive single wall rims use a rubber liner.

If you encounter such a rubber rim liner, an attempt to jam the valve
through it will often push the liner through the rim with the valve
until something breaks. (the liner or a cut in the rubber around the
valve stem) Avoid that by lifting a rubber liner first.

I implied but did not say that a tube caught under the edge of the tire
will flat.
--

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
>>> inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded inside
>>> and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched the hole,
>>> but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it because the
>>> incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct size then? The
>>> mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube bears the same mark.
>>> The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated on the mark, and the
>>> puncture happened on the asphalt road which is smooth. Btw, I had
>>> been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter uphill just before the
>>> puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.

>> Your climb is a red herring.
>>
>> Your flat sounds like an installation error.
>>
>> When installing a tube, inflate until it is just round in cross section so
>> it cannot fold over itself. Put the tube inside the tire, lift a rubber
>> rim liner and pass the valve through it then into the rim. Mount one side
>> of the tire fully, push the tube across and then mount the other side of
>> the tire using hands only- no tools. If it is difficult, end at the valve
>> (the tire edge must fall to the center where you are not lifting the edge
>> over the top. The valve prevents that.)
>>
>> Once the tire is mounted, inflate halfway and spin the wheel, noting the
>> molded line just above the brake track. It should be visible and roughly
>> even all the way around on both sides. If it is low, pull it up but ensure
>> it's all visible before fully inflating
>>
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> www.yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Andrew,
> Very clear instructions, except am not sure what "lift a rubber rim liner"
> means. I know what a rubber rim liner is, but don't know how lifting one
> would help pass the valve through it.
> Thanks,
> Kerry

Lift the rubber rim liner ... especially the part with the valve hole in
it ... ***out of the rim channel*** before attempting to insert the valve.

Mark J.

On Mar 29, 6:53 am, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Dear all,

> > Recently, my rear tire that came new from the shop went flat. I
> > inspected the tube and found out that the inner tube was folded inside
> > and there was a hole in the folding line. I have patched the hole,
> > but wonder what caused the inner tube folding. Was it because the
> > incorrect size of the inner tube? What is the correct size then? The
> > mark on the tire is 26x1.95 and the inner tube bears the same mark.
> > The tire was inflated to 50 psi as indicated on the mark, and the
> > puncture happened on the asphalt road which is smooth. Btw, I had
> > been exerting high force to overcome a 5 meter uphill just before the
> > puncture happened. Thanks for your advice.

> Your climb is a red herring.
>
> Your flat sounds like an installation error.
>
> When installing a tube, inflate until it is just round in cross section
> so it cannot fold over itself. Put the tube inside the tire, lift a
> rubber rim liner and pass the valve through it then into the rim. Mount
> one side of the tire fully, push the tube across and then mount the
> other side of the tire using hands only- no tools. If it is difficult,
> end at the valve (the tire edge must fall to the center where you are
> not lifting the edge over the top. The valve prevents that.)
>
> Once the tire is mounted, inflate halfway and spin the wheel, noting
> the molded line just above the brake track. It should be visible and
> roughly even all the way around on both sides. If it is low, pull it up
> but ensure it's all visible before fully inflating
>
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Dear All,

Thanks again for the advice. I am feel more comfortable now to
continue using the tube.

Cheers,
Markus