what is the import tax on bicycles into our lucky country?

Yuri Budilov

Guest
Greetings all

trivial question: what is the import duty/tax levied on imported road and
MTB bicycles into Australia?
Does the tax rate change depending where the bike is coming from? i.e. made
in Taiwan/China, Europe, USA? Does the so-called "free trade agreement" with
USA change anything when a bike is imported from USA (i.e. high end Trek,
Cannondale, Specialized).

thanks

ps, FYI from Jan 2005 the import tax on cars will be reduced down to 10%
(currently 15%).
--

"Yuri Budilov" <[email protected]> writes:

> trivial question: what is the import duty/tax levied on imported road and
> MTB bicycles into Australia?

> Does the tax rate change depending where the bike is coming from? i.e. made
> in Taiwan/China, Europe, USA? Does the so-called "free trade agreement" with
> USA change anything when a bike is imported from USA (i.e. high end Trek,
> Cannondale, Specialized).

no duty on whole bicycles, but you *may* still have to pay GST.

According to a very old message in this NG, GST may even be levied on
packaging unless it is "second hand".

duty on bicycle *parts* may be different.

From <http://www.abc.dotars.gov.au/gnssept2004.htm>:

5% Bicycle Tariff Concession re-instated

Making bicycles affordable is one way to enable more people to
enjoy the many benefits of cycling. In December 2002 the Tariff
Concession Order, which allowed bicycles to be imported for free,
was revoked and a 5% tariff was imposed on bicycles imported after
December 2002. The Tariff Concession was revoked after a
submission by one company, which claimed they were a local
manufacturer of bicycles. A number of wholesalers challenged the
Tariff Concession revocation as the business requesting the
revocation could not prove that their products met the 25% local
content mark. On April 5, 2004 the Administrative Tribunal made a
decision that the request for the revocation of the concession be
refused and that the Tariff Concession be treated as having not
been revoked. The re-installment of the concession order means
that bicycles imported no longer have to pay import duty and the
duty paid since December 2002 will be refunded to wholesalers.

--
Manfred <dec04-882fe951 AT xix DOT com>

Hi

try this link

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4273

regards

Yuri Budilov said:
Greetings all

trivial question: what is the import duty/tax levied on imported road and
MTB bicycles into Australia?
Does the tax rate change depending where the bike is coming from? i.e. made
in Taiwan/China, Europe, USA? Does the so-called "free trade agreement" with
USA change anything when a bike is imported from USA (i.e. high end Trek,
Cannondale, Specialized).

thanks

ps, FYI from Jan 2005 the import tax on cars will be reduced down to 10%
(currently 15%).
--

Even if there is no import duty, there is still shipping and GST to pay.
a decent tandem is about US$5,500 so going to the states to pick it up

Worth doing.
Dont try it with a canondale as they are so common that customs knows what they are worth, unless of course you put some used chainrings on it
to make it look older than it is.

Cheers

Thank you.

So as I understand it is that brand new "whole" bicycles imported into
Australia by folks such as Giant, Trek, Bianchi, Colnago, etc are *not*
subject to import duty. Good news, if so!

Hi all,

A message from a rider and an, ahem, customs officer..........

If freighting bikes over - there is no import duty, but there is GST (at 10%
obviously). BUT, if the GST payable is less than a certain amount (from
memory its $250), then we don't collect it. SO - in effect, bikes valued at
less than $2500 are duty/tax free, while anything over $2500 has GST
attached to it (the full amount - you don't get your first $250 free or
anything like that...!!)

If you bring it over yourself in 'checked baggage' - The first $400 you
bring over is duty/GST free, but this covers EVERYTHING (ie. if you bought
an I-pod, or some jewellery for your girlfriend, or whatever, this depletes
that $400 allowance), and then GST is payable on the remainder. You can
'pool' allowances (ie. you and your partner have a combined allowance of
$800), but that only helps if your partner buys nothing (usually fat
chance!!). So - unless you are going on a holiday anyway, not really worth
bringing it back with you as the airfare knocks out your cost base!!

Generally, our airport staff will call a bike shop if they get ANY new
road/triathlon bike coming through for a valuation (so its hard to fudge
your way through). Also, we are onto the 'used chainrings' trick as well
(just like we are onto people who rub a bit of dirt onto their new Callaway
golf clubs, etc, etc).

And always remember - if you declare its true value, and are upfront about
it, there's every chance that the customs officer you are dealing with will
just wave you through anyway (especially if we are up to our ears in real
bad guys on that particular day).

I know everyone knows someone that got away with it, or was never checked,
etc, etc, BUT most people who try don't - and they get monetary penalties
when they are caught (eg. duty plus 200% of duty evaded...) Don't mean to
sound like your father... - but I know I always feel like an asshole when I
am hitting someone with a penalty on their pride and joy (especially as a
fellow roadie...)

Cheers all,
Absent Husband (very excited about my new Orbea, that I'm picking up on
Thursday - woohoo!!)

PS - This is in NO WAY WRITTEN IN MY OFFICIAL CAPACITY AS A CUSTOMS OFFICER.
Customs are embarrassed by my opinions at the best of times...........

news:[email protected]...

Absent Husband wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A message from a rider and an, ahem, customs officer..........
>
> If freighting bikes over - there is no import duty, but there is GST (at 10%
> obviously). BUT, if the GST payable is less than a certain amount (from
> memory its $250), then we don't collect it.

Could you check that "from memory", because I read it was only $50.
Is the latter offical and the $250 "in practice" ?

> If you bring it over yourself in 'checked baggage' - The first $400 you
> bring over is duty/GST free, but this covers EVERYTHING (ie. if you bought

And you also pay no tax if the amount would be less than $50, so
effictively you get about a $900 limit. Except that the $50 also
includes excise, so you can bring an extra bottle or two of duty-free booze.

> PS - This is in NO WAY WRITTEN IN MY OFFICIAL CAPACITY AS A CUSTOMS OFFICER.
> Customs are embarrassed by my opinions at the best of times...........

Thanks for the inside dope, anyway.

On 2004-12-16, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:
> Absent Husband wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A message from a rider and an, ahem, customs officer..........
>>
>> If freighting bikes over - there is no import duty, but there is GST (at 10%
>> obviously). BUT, if the GST payable is less than a certain amount (from
>> memory its $250), then we don't collect it.

> Could you check that "from memory", because I read it was only $50.
> Is the latter offical and the $250 "in practice" ?

AIUI, it's GST payable on goods valued at $250 or greater -- ie, $25 --
if shipped in via courier (which bicycles pretty much would be.) If it's
through the normal post system, I think the limit's $1000 or greater
(ie, $100).

You'd have to double check the exact figures, though; all my importation
has been via the postal system (read: DVDs and books via Amazon and the
like.)

Absent Husband said:
Hi all,

A message from a rider and an, ahem, customs officer..........

Thanks for the info

What would happen if the tandem that was imported was not avialable in
Australia and there was no price avialable to customs if they phoned an Australian bikeshop??
How hard do they try to chase the price??

Cheers

geoffs wrote:

??
> Absent Husband Wrote:
>> What would happen if the tandem that was imported was not avialable
>> in Australia and there was no price avialable to customs if they phoned
>> an Australian bikeshop??
>> How hard do they try to chase the price??

This may totally surprise you but customs officers actually do this stuff
for a living. They are more capable than your local rozzer and know what
they're about. What you think is some brilliant new idea about importation
they see every day.
They ask you for your receipt. You don't have one? Oh dear. We'll estimate
that at $25,000 then, they say with a smile. Oh good sir, you've remembered
you put the receipt in your hand luggage side pocket.

Theo
PS: Don't try to con a customs officer.