What Road bike brand is the best? So says you...

Dfreeman

Feb 8, 2008
I just bought a new bike my first semi expensive bike. I bought it for about $550 USD. It's a Giant Cypress DX.

I was curious if it was any good in everyones opinion. With that said what brands are the best and worst you can purchase. LEt me know.

Dfreeman said:
I just bought a new bike my first semi expensive bike. I bought it for about $550 USD. It's a Giant Cypress DX.

I was curious if it was any good in everyones opinion. With that said what brands are the best and worst you can purchase. LEt me know.

What can you afford
How much do you ride
Where do you ride
How fast do you ride
What condition are you in
What are your long term goals
Do you want to race or just tour
What is your favorite color
Is it possible you will get bored with cycling
Who is your favorite pro
Why are we here and how did the universe begin???????????????????????????????????

Just a few question that need to be answered before an informed response can be posted.

jhuskey said:
What can you afford
How much do you ride
Where do you ride
How fast do you ride
What condition are you in
What are your long term goals
Do you want to race or just tour
What is your favorite color
Is it possible you will get bored with cycling
Who is your favorite pro
Why are we here and how did the universe begin???????????????????????????????????

Just a few question that need to be answered before an informed response can be posted.
I ride everyday at LEAST 6 miles on weekdays and weekends when ever I can
I ride on roads and paved trails (would like to try MTB)
Not as fast as I should
former football player and strength train on my free time. 5' 11" 220 pounds
Goals? To use my bike for all daily transporation purposes, when I move to a non metro area.
Tour only
long as its not pink I dont care. (get my drift?)
Cycling is all I do right now, I can't get enough of it or information.

and if I told you the secret I would have to throw you in the water.

Dfreeman said:

The Cypress is a very good bike. One of my coworkers has one and he loves it. I bought one for my wife and on the rare occasion that she rides it she does like it.
If your wanting to use it for daily transportation you might want to look into something with a rigid fork and seat post like the giant FCR or OCR. As for the brand any bike from a real bicycle shop will good, not a department or sporting goods store. But from my experience Giant gives you the most for your money. I've owned 3 Giants and have bought one for my wife and sister.

Hey there,
First time on this forum for years. I'm noticing that Ridgeback hardly feature at all on the american sites. Is this a niche UK brand then? There are loads of them in Glasgow's West End. Anyone know how represented they are in The EU. I just bought a Ridgeback Storm for commuting and getting a bit off-road [as long as its not too technical] and i've noticed the R/Bck range seems to be far more concerned with versatility, rather than out and out racers or MTB-f/rders etc. Opinions?

leconkie said:
Hey there,
First time on this forum for years. I'm noticing that Ridgeback hardly feature at all on the american sites.
You UK guys get a lot of stuff that we don't see in the US. The general trend for the US mountain and road markets is high-end, serious, and specialized, or cheap, with little for the middle multi-use market.

oldbobcat said:
You UK guys get a lot of stuff that we don't see in the US. The general trend for the US mountain and road markets is high-end, serious, and specialized, or cheap, with little for the middle multi-use market.
My favorite, wow there are so many I like, its hard to pick just one.

I ride about 150-250 miles a week on my bikes and love every second of it...I prefer carbon fiber because it takes the heavy jolting out of the ride that I experience on my aluminum frame bike. There are honestly do many nie bikes out there, you almost can't go wrong, you just have to set your expectations, at $400 you will get a bike that you can ride a few miles a day, at $2000 you can get a bike you can ride 50 miles a day but may wear out a bit quicker than the $4000 bike and may not be quite as light and fast.

Basically the more you spend, the higher grade the frame, components, and wheels and typically the longer they last and the faster they are.