Getting a new road bike, need help on brand

Dill508

Jan 26, 2015
I am looking to upgrade to a new road bike from my bike I had a high school, Trek 7.3, because I have now outgrown it. I have been looking around and have been a little overwhelmed with all the different brands and models out there. My budget is preferably <$1000 and I would like it to be a durable bike that will last me a long time and not require a ton of maintenance. I mainly will be riding for fitness(on bike paths, about 30min to an hour, 5 times a week). Any advice on brands/models I should look into or avoid? Thanks!

Depends, do you want to buy from a LBS or would mail order be ok?

I would avoid the big 3 like Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale simply because you pay a premium for all the marketing they do. LBS bikes like the Giant Defy 2, or the more durable steel bikes like the Jamis Satellite Comp, or the Bianchi Campione, or a more versatile bike that could be used to go touring or trips to the grocery store like the Fuji Tour steel frame bike.

Mail order places like Bikes Direct can usually get you better components for the money spent vs at an LBS.

If I was looking for a durable fitness bike I would look at the one of the steel bikes I mentioned, they will last a very long time vs aluminum; but like you said the numbers of bikes available is daunting.

I would also suggest looking at a slightly used bike. You get more for your money and don't have to take the off the show room floor depreciation hit. Lots of people get into the sport and loose interest and you can pick up a really good bike at a very nice price. I have purchased bikes off of Craig's List before with no issues and also from my local shop's for sale bulletin board. I am partial to the Cannondale brand myself and find they make a quality product and have excellent customer support.

Diamondback 2012 Podium 1 Road Bike

Although priced at an astonishingly low $560, the Diamondback Podium 1 performs well above its price range. Users say the bike offers a good mix of comfort and performance thanks to quality components: a DBR carbon fork, Shimano Sora rear derailleur and 2300 eight-speed dual-control shifters, and more.

Critical Cycles Single Speed Road Bike
Single-speed road bike
The Critical Cycles Single Speed fixie has BMX-style straight handlebars well suited for the adventurous urban commuter. With a strong frame and simple components, it's easily upgradable, making it a great bike for the first-time single-speed rider.

http://www.consumersearch.com/road-bikes