what should I expect to pay for an OCR-3 or OCR-2

Battlegroup

Aug 24, 2004
Just like the title asks. I live in Florida and am looking to get into cycling I have decided on an OCR-3 and am looking to see what others have paid so I don't get ripped off.

Thanx in advance

Battlegroup said:
Just like the title asks. I live in Florida and am looking to get into cycling I have decided on an OCR-3 and am looking to see what others have paid so I don't get ripped off.

Thanx in advance
OCR3, 500 down in Miami

Battlegroup said:

Thanx in advance
I paid $475 for mine .. but it is a 2003.

Battlegroup said:
Thanks for the replies. Picked up an OCR-3 on wednesday for $540.
How do you like it? I have been considering the OCR-3 as an entry level bike in road riding.

rosborn said:
How do you like it? I have been considering the OCR-3 as an entry level bike in road riding.
I love mine. I rode 25 miles last weekend for a charity event. I am gonna have to get used to the saddle, but other than that the bike performed well. :)

Stickboy said:
I love mine. I rode 25 miles last weekend for a charity event. I am gonna have to get used to the saddle, but other than that the bike performed well. :)
I've been getting mixed suggestions from dealers/bike shops. I have been told that because of my size (6' 3" and 250 lbs) I should get into a hybrid bike (easier on the back) and have also been told that I should get into the OCR-3 XL - that if I am going to get into road riding nothing fits the bill like and actual road bike.

Too, I am concerned that the Shimano Sora components are at the lower end of the component range. Is this a bike I can start with and use for a few years before buying a new bike?

I am looking for advice on a good entry level bike and, from what I can see, it looks like the OCR-3 may be just that bike.

Thanks,

Rob

rosborn said:
I've been getting mixed suggestions from dealers/bike shops. I have been told that because of my size (6' 3" and 250 lbs) I should get into a hybrid bike (easier on the back) and have also been told that I should get into the OCR-3 XL - that if I am going to get into road riding nothing fits the bill like and actual road bike.

Too, I am concerned that the Shimano Sora components are at the lower end of the component range. Is this a bike I can start with and use for a few years before buying a new bike?

I am looking for advice on a good entry level bike and, from what I can see, it looks like the OCR-3 may be just that bike.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob,

I am 6'6" 195lbs and have the OCR-3 XL. Since I am new to cycling the bike shop adjusted my handlebars so I am not hunched over so much at first. I mean I am still hunched over, but it really isn't affecting my back. I am also 35 yrs old so I am not a youngster, but I am not old either.

As for SORA components ... my OCR-3 is definately noisier than my brother-in-law's OCR-2, but so far have performed well. But I am a newbie so what do I know? :)

Shan

Stickboy said:
Rob,

I am 6'6" 195lbs and have the OCR-3 XL. Since I am new to cycling the bike shop adjusted my handlebars so I am not hunched over so much at first. I mean I am still hunched over, but it really isn't affecting my back. I am also 35 yrs old so I am not a youngster, but I am not old either.

As for SORA components ... my OCR-3 is definately noisier than my brother-in-law's OCR-2, but so far have performed well. But I am a newbie so what do I know? :)

Shan
I have the OCR2 and I have been extremely happy with it. I test road both the 2 & 3 when I bought my bike. I say if you can afford the extra 200 bucks, the 2 is really worth it. You get the Tiagra shifters and Xero wheels.

pilgrimspro said:
I have the OCR2 and I have been extremely happy with it. I test road both the 2 & 3 when I bought my bike. I say if you can afford the extra 200 bucks, the 2 is really worth it. You get the Tiagra shifters and Xero wheels.
So, you guys would definitely recommend a road bike (OCR-2/OCR-3) over a hybrid like the Ciant Cypress SL or Cypress SX? Even for a big guys like me who is hoping to become a smaller guy by road biking?

rosborn said:
So, you guys would definitely recommend a road bike (OCR-2/OCR-3) over a hybrid like the Ciant Cypress SL or Cypress SX? Even for a big guys like me who is hoping to become a smaller guy by road biking?
Since I have never seen a Giant Cypress SL or SX .. the only thing I can say is I am a tall person and I love my OCR-3. I wish I could have afforded the OCR-2 right from the start, but I am very happy with the bike I have.

rosborn said:

Your size should not be a determining factor as to what "type" of bike you're going to buy. I don't know why a shop would tell you that. That's just stupid. A hybrid will give you a more upright riding position but that's true for anyone. The type of riding that you want to do should be the determining factor as far as what type of bike you're going to buy. In fact I'd tell you to stay away form the shop that's telling you that you "need a hybrid because of your size". They probably don't have a road bike in your price range that will fit you so they gave you that line of B.S. so they could still sell you a bike!

BTW, I'm 6'5", 200 pounds and I ride a 63cm Cannondale CAAD5. there are road bikes available that will fit you. If you want a road bike that's what you should get. Don't let some goof-ball at the LBS tell you that you need a hybrid becuase of your size. Good luck!

meehs said:
Your size should not be a determining factor as to what "type" of bike you're going to buy. I don't know why a shop would tell you that. That's just stupid. A hybrid will give you a more upright riding position but that's true for anyone. The type of riding that you want to do should be the determining factor as far as what type of bike you're going to buy. In fact I'd tell you to stay away form the shop that's telling you that you "need a hybrid because of your size". They probably don't have a road bike in your price range that will fit you so they gave you that line of B.S. so they could still sell you a bike!

BTW, I'm 6'5", 200 pounds and I ride a 63cm Cannondale CAAD5. there are road bikes available that will fit you. If you want a road bike that's what you should get. Don't let some goof-ball at the LBS tell you that you need a hybrid becuase of your size. Good luck!
I think their angle was that a hybrid would reduce the potential for lower back strain that the road bike might cause.

rosborn said:
I think their angle was that a hybrid would reduce the potential for lower back strain that the road bike might cause.

I see your point (sort of) but that would be true for anyone, like I said previously. At 6'5" I should definitely be riding a hybrid then? And Magnus Backstedt too? Using that logic everyone should ride a Hybrid because it causes less strain on the back. It just doesn't make sense to me to tell someone they need a hybrid because of their size, which is what the poster was told. As far as we know he never told the shop that he has back trouble.

rosborn said:
I Like it so far! I've been riding to work every other day (10 miles each way) and it has performed well (I leave a little to be desired) The only problem I have is the cables have stretched a little and it is hard to get it to shift to the big chainring. I expected this and it only needs to be adjusted a little.

As far as the comments on size: You shouldn't have to switch to a hybrid. everyone is hunched over on a road bike. If you get a bike that fits you you should be in the same general position as everyone else. Now if you have existing back problems I would consider the hybrid.

BG