What the Hell happened to Ullrich?

Phil

Guest
After all that talk of him taking Lance down when they got to the
mountains, we're treated to that? You're kidding, right? I know
there's a ton of climbing left, but if that was the prelude of things
to come, Jan had better hang it up.

Was it his gears? Liggett said that he was using larger rings, and
maybe that's what killed him. If so, that's some seriously bad
planning.

Phil wrote:
> After all that talk of him taking Lance down when they got to the
> mountains, we're treated to that? You're kidding, right? I know
> there's a ton of climbing left, but if that was the prelude of things
> to come, Jan had better hang it up.
>
> Was it his gears? Liggett said that he was using larger rings, and
> maybe that's what killed him. If so, that's some seriously bad
> planning.

He got cold.

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After all that talk of him taking Lance down when they got to the
> mountains, we're treated to that? You're kidding, right? I know
> there's a ton of climbing left, but if that was the prelude of things
> to come, Jan had better hang it up.
>
> Was it his gears? Liggett said that he was using larger rings, and
> maybe that's what killed him. If so, that's some seriously bad
> planning.

Indurain had a bad day in the rain in his last tour. Jan could be explosive
tomorrow!

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:41:35 GMT, Dan Connelly
<d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:

>Phil wrote:
>> After all that talk of him taking Lance down when they got to the
>> mountains, we're treated to that? You're kidding, right? I know
>> there's a ton of climbing left, but if that was the prelude of things
>> to come, Jan had better hang it up.
>>
>> Was it his gears? Liggett said that he was using larger rings, and
>> maybe that's what killed him. If so, that's some seriously bad
>> planning.

>He got cold.

Right, still a big disappointment, I mean you can't count on it not
raining to win a TdF...

Phil wrote:

> After all that talk of him taking Lance down when they got to the
> mountains, we're treated to that? You're kidding, right? I know
> there's a ton of climbing left, but if that was the prelude of things
> to come, Jan had better hang it up.

According to cyclingnews
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul16news5) he's
expectant, therefore he's having to eat for two which explains why he's
not getting enough carbohydrates.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:

> Phil wrote:
> > After all that talk of him taking Lance down when they got to the
> > mountains, we're treated to that? You're kidding, right? I know
> > there's a ton of climbing left, but if that was the prelude of things
> > to come, Jan had better hang it up.
> >
> > Was it his gears? Liggett said that he was using larger rings, and
> > maybe that's what killed him. If so, that's some seriously bad
> > planning.

> He got cold.

He's been a pro cyclist for what, 9 years? He doesn't yet know how to
take care of himself and dress for the weather? His team doesn't know
how to get a rain jacket to him? I find that unlikely.

He just didn't have it today, simple as that. Too bad, that's a big
time gap to give to Armstrong the first day in the mountains. Maybe
it'll take Ullrich a day or two to adjust to the mountains and he'll
get better (remember his duel with Pantani in '97 or '98- one day
awful in the mountains, the next day fast). But he's saddled himself
with a big handicap to overcome. Damn shame- and ditto the other main
contenders. If they're not careful, Mayo will vault past them onto
the podium despite his earlier time loss.

On 16 Jul 2004 09:31:32 -0700, [email protected] (Phil) wrote:

>Liggett said that he was using larger rings, and
>maybe that's what killed him.

Actually Liggett said that he had been using big gears for the last
four days and couldn't get used to the smaller ones for the mountains.

He didn't say he was using big gears in the mountains.

Robert

Ullrich's team abandoned him. They just don't support him like Postal
supports Lance. T-Mobile is obviously not working towards the goal of a
Tour win for Jan.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:11:45 -0700, max taylor <m@t> wrote:

>Ullrich's team abandoned him. They just don't support him like Postal
>supports Lance. T-Mobile is obviously not working towards the goal of a
>Tour win for Jan.

I guess you didn't see Guerini towing up Jan up the mountain? Kloden
was better where he was just behind LA and Basso, he wouldn't have
served any purpose staying behind. Reminded me a bit of the Hinault,
Lemond, Ruttiman situation in 1985 up Luz Ardiden.