what would you add as a second bike?

jmitro

May 25, 2011
I bought a 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 about eight weeks ago, and have put 700 miles on it. I've lost 10+ pounds and am completely smitten with cycling.

I love the Bianchi, and love riding in general. But I'm considering a second bike. I want something lighter, faster, more racy....but not breaking the bank. Budget $1000-2500 right now.

Pouring over internet reviews and looking at bikes on roadbikereview.com, I'm looking at a used bike as a good deal. I have my eye on a 2009 Cervelo S1.....price is right, and it's light, racy, and appealing. But it's an aluminum frame.....would that deter some of you?

I'm also looking at a 2008 Trek Madone 6.5 frame on ebay, and have already placed a bid (probably too low to win it, although I'm currently leading).

If you guys were to make a recommendation for a faster, lighter, racier bike under $3000....what would it be? Preferably used as I think I can get a pretty good deal on a used bike.

Specialized Tarmac?
Trek Madone?
Cannondale supersix?
Cervelo S1 that I mentioned?

it's good to have more than one bike, if you race then you need two similar to each other road bikes. If not it's preferable to have different bikes for different purposes: like one race bike and then other with a triple chainring, or a MTB, a Track bike, a commuter bike, other.
Otherwise, if you really want to get faster by having better material, then add the two budgets into one super bike.