Whatever happened to Clara Hughes?

In article <[email protected]>,
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/25/AR2006022500
> > 822.html

> Dude, see a few threads up. Btw, her "brilliant last lap" was not
> exceptional, it's just that Klassen completely collapsed in hers.

Since they are obviously using some kind of chip to deliver the
excellent split time comparisons, anyone know where the skaters are
carrying it?

I've seen the skaters hold their arm out and someone slips an elastic
arm band on immediately before the start of each race. Is the chip in
the band?

Mike G.
-

Mike Gladu wrote:
> Since they are obviously using some kind of chip to deliver the
> excellent split time comparisons

They aren't. There are photocells on the finish line (that get triggered
on each lap by the skates passing).

--
E. Dronkert

She's not American. So who cares, just a canuck.

In article <[email protected]>,
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mike Gladu wrote:
> > Since they are obviously using some kind of chip to deliver the
> > excellent split time comparisons

> They aren't. There are photocells on the finish line (that get triggered
> on each lap by the skates passing).

One sample per lap is no where near enough to show the running
advantage/disadvantage time they have on US TV.

You can see the difference compared to the leader at all times, and even
see how well they go through turns and sprint to the finish.

Must be telemetry of some sort.

Mike G.
-

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:52:00 GMT, Mike Gladu
<[email protected]> wrote:
>One sample per lap is no where near enough to show the running
>advantage/disadvantage time they have on US TV.
>
>You can see the difference compared to the leader at all times, and even
>see how well they go through turns and sprint to the finish.

I would very surprised if it's any more than interpolating / averaging
between lap times. The Dutch are speedskating-mad and I never saw
anything else but laptimes and ad-/disadvantage each lap. But hey, I'm
just a casual viewer (of 3 weekend-long allround tournaments and
several world cups and distance champs per season).

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:15:17 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I would very surprised if it's any more than interpolating / averaging
>between lap times. The Dutch are speedskating-mad and I never saw
>anything else but laptimes and ad-/disadvantage each lap. But hey, I'm
>just a casual viewer (of 3 weekend-long allround tournaments and
>several world cups and distance champs per season).

Can't be - there were times that they went under then back over, then
under again in a matter of a quarter lap. You can't have reversals
like that between samplings.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:43:47 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> She's not American. So who cares, just a canuck.

Show some respect - Canuck.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
>> I would very surprised if [blah blah blah]

> Can't be - there were times that they went under then back over, then
> under again in a matter of a quarter lap. You can't have reversals
> like that between samplings.

I am very surprised.

--
E. Dronkert

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> >> I would very surprised if [blah blah blah]

> > Can't be - there were times that they went under then back over, then
> > under again in a matter of a quarter lap. You can't have reversals
> > like that between samplings.

> I am very surprised.

dumbass,

when hughes was skating i wasn't paying attention because I thought she
was waay off the pace.

at points she was 4 sec down on klassen. she started the last lap 1.86
sec down and she finished 1.5 secs up!

this (as well as the ToC TT*) call for a chung chart.

-Amit

*I couldn't find split times for the TT, anyone have a source ?

amit wrote:

> *I couldn't find split times for the TT, anyone have a source ?

There were no official split locations, so no times.

amit wrote:

> when hughes was skating i wasn't paying attention because I thought she
> was waay off the pace.
>
> at points she was 4 sec down on klassen. she started the last lap 1.86
> sec down and she finished 1.5 secs up!
>
> this (as well as the ToC TT*) call for a chung chart.

Klassen really died on the last two or so laps. I thought she
might barely make it across the line. She had a huge intermediate
lead on her partner, Sablikova, and nearly got caught by her in
the final straight.

The TV time gaps were to the leader's split times, not the leader's
average pace, so both Hughes and Pechstein looked behind the
splits for most of the race and then came roaring back at the end.
But really they were skating fairly consistent laps compared to
Klassen who laid down blistering times but clearly set too hard
a pace. I too would like to see a Chung Chart - I'll make it if anyone
can find the lap splits on the web.

The NBC announcers were so busy yapping about Pechstein's
N medals that they didn't seem to realize until fairly late in the race
that Hughes was still close, and finally they noticed she was actually
coming back on Klassen's time faster than Pechstein.

The continuous time gaps on TV were impressive, but I don't know
how real they were. It would be possible to make good-looking but
not quite perfect continuous time gaps by interpolating lap times.
I would have to watch a tape carefully to try to tell, and
even then it's hard to tell because the pace changes as they go around
the inner/outer turns. For telemetry they would likely have to have a
continuous band of timing-mat stuff under the ice.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:50:44 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Curtis L. Russell wrote:
>>> I would very surprised if [blah blah blah]

>> Can't be - there were times that they went under then back over, then
>> under again in a matter of a quarter lap. You can't have reversals
>> like that between samplings.

>I am very surprised.

And, by the way, it was way cool in the last heat, when both skaters
overtook the then leading Canadian in the last lap or so. Whenever
they went under the time of the current leader, it went from red to
green background, so there was a period where the person that did get
the silver went back and forth from red to green, before finally
staying in the green.

NBC didn't waste all of their money.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:43:33 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:50:44 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
><[email protected]> wrote:
>And, by the way, it was way cool in the last heat, when both skaters
>overtook the then leading Canadian in the last lap or so. Whenever
>they went under the time of the current leader, it went from red to
>green background, so there was a period where the person that did get
>the silver went back and forth from red to green, before finally
>staying in the green.
>
>NBC didn't waste all of their money.

I didn't see that race (though I did watch Hughes win a medal in the
Salt Lake City games on CBC). But it seemed like that long-track
venue in Torino was really beautiful -- the colors, the flags on the
ice, etc. The skaters. Good graphics on-screen and good camera work.
Really superb visually.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

"amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> when hughes was skating i wasn't paying attention because I thought she
> was waay off the pace.
>
> at points she was 4 sec down on klassen. she started the last lap 1.86
> sec down and she finished 1.5 secs up!
>
> this (as well as the ToC TT*) call for a chung chart.

Absolutely.

Andy Coggan

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:37:02 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:43:33 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:50:44 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>And, by the way, it was way cool in the last heat, when both skaters
>>overtook the then leading Canadian in the last lap or so. Whenever
>>they went under the time of the current leader, it went from red to
>>green background, so there was a period where the person that did get
>>the silver went back and forth from red to green, before finally
>>staying in the green.
>>
>>NBC didn't waste all of their money.

>I didn't see that race (though I did watch Hughes win a medal in the
>Salt Lake City games on CBC). But it seemed like that long-track
>venue in Torino was really beautiful -- the colors, the flags on the
>ice, etc. The skaters. Good graphics on-screen and good camera work.
>Really superb visually.
>
>JT

That and the short track stuff was the only things that I sat through.
The continuous split time inserts really catch your attention.

Mostly I sat long enough to count it as family time, then went back
to the computer or an old movie downstairs. For some reason it turned
into a James Stewart film festival, starting with Winchester 73 and
ended with Vertigo. Wonder if it is a problem when you start
identifying most with Dan Duryea.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...