Whats the name of the cable guide thing under the BB?

garagedog

Aug 5, 2004
2 questions.
#1 - what is the name of the plastic cable guide thing under the BB?
#2 - I recently bought a Cannondale frame from ebay that arrived without one. I suppose I need to get that part from a Cannondale dealer?
-thanks for the help.

garagedog said:
2 questions.
#1 - what is the name of the plastic cable guide thing under the BB?
#2 - I recently bought a Cannondale frame from ebay that arrived without one. I suppose I need to get that part from a Cannondale dealer?
-thanks for the help.
BB cable guide. Probably will need a Cannondale one but there are generic ones (as well as Campy or Shimano ones) available but I suspect they wouldn't fit that frame.

You probably won't need to go to a Cannondale dealer as the bottom bracket guides are all made by the component manufacturers. As long as it is a plastic peice that is held on with a screw, you can use Shimano or Campy, or pretty much anyone that you can find. The only time that the bottom bracket cable guide is specific to the bicycle frame is when it is a braze on, but you rarely see those anymore.

Depending on the C'dale you might have to ghetto something up. I know on the CAAD8 the hole is not threaded like on most BB shells. C'dale has a mfg specific plastic one that snaps into the unthreaded hole instead of using a screw to afix it. Simple enough to use a small bolt with a flush nut to secure a standard Shimao guide.

Thanks. I didn't know that there was a Cannondale specific guide. I will admit that I don't have a lot of Cannondale experience, but nearly every other quality bike that I have worked on used a Shimano or Campy guide.

Look into finding a Cannondale one. Most of those guides are short(front to back). The tubes on most Cannondale's are so fat that the front derailluer cable will rub the frame. The Cannondale guide has an extra bit extending to avoid this problem.

Picked one up yesterday.
Yup, no threads. Cannondale guide just pops into place.