Wheel Build Spoke length info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt Peeler

I recently had to change frames from a 7sp to a 9sp and I bought a new rear wheel for it when I got
the new frame. I am wanting to build a backup 700c wheel for it. I have a velocity arrowhead rim
that was built on a 7sp 105 hub that was the backup for my 7sp frame. Its rarely been used. Would
those spokes work if I got a 9sp hub for it or is the width change actually in the hub body? If not,
where can I find the spoke length I would need for the drive/non-drive sides of the wheel.

I recently built a front wheel OPEN4/105 hub and with my dishing tool and truing stand it is working
great so I feel pretty good about trying a rear wheel build.

thanks in advance

Matt P

On 4 Sep 2003 07:54:11 -0700, [email protected] (Matt Peeler) wrote:

>I have a velocity arrowhead rim that was built on a 7sp 105 hub that was the backup for my 7sp
>frame. Its rarely been used. Would those spokes work if I got a 9sp hub for it or is the width
>change actually in the hub body?

Just put an 8sp hub body, which is wider, on your existing 7sp 105 hub. Leave about 2.5 mm of axel
sticking out on the cassette side. Remove 2 mm of spacers on the non drive side. Redish the wheel.
It will be pretty close if you turn each of the non drive side spokes ½ turn. Check to see that the
tension on the drive side has not gotten too high. Put on the 9sp cassette and go riding. Keep the
9sp hub on the shelf.

aaron-<< I have a velocity arrowhead rim that was built on a 7sp 105 hub that was the backup for my
7sp frame. Its rarely been used. Would those spokes work if I got a 9sp hub for it or is the width
change actually in the hub body? >><BR><BR>

Sure, they would be fine. The differences in hub center to flange for 7s and 9s are small-

<< I recently built a front wheel OPEN4/105 hub and with my dishing tool and truing stand it is
working great so I feel pretty good about trying a rear wheel build. >><BR><BR>

Good for you, it's how we all started, one wheel at a time-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.