Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Wheel Building

Started by Bill Wheeler · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,812 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
30 December 2003
Last activity
2 January 2004
Original author
Bill Wheeler
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,812
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Selwonk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jonesy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    J'm Sm'th <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Double-butted, feh. They cause me more problems when building than they are worth.

    Besides, straight-gauge is stronger.

    [runs and ducks - thermonuclear war ain't for the faint-of-heart]

    It is all perfectly strightforward - but not straight gauged! The various properties of spokes can
    be found at: sheldonbrown.comwheelbuild.html

    Yeah, I know. Read it, Jobst's book, Gerd Shraner's book and have built a couple of wheels with
    straight-gauge spokes. Why? They were cheaper, and I didn't want to deal with wind-up when I was
    first learning how to lace, and true and stress-relieve, etc, etc. Besides, Deore hubs and X-
    223/221 wheels don't cry out for double-butted spokes with the way I ride. 32-spoke, 3X is plenty
    good for now. But now that I have a tensiometer (Christmas gift) maybe I'll take some DB 14-15-
    14's for a whirl.

    The repetition of the "straight gauge is stronger" myth is always good for a few lobbed bombs. Want
    another good one? Talk about a wheel standing on it's spokes. Hoo, boy - the r.b.tech folks go nuts
    over that one. Or tying and soldering spokes. Or the frame materials and their various values for
    "vertical compliance" and how it translates into ride quality. Crank design - holy crud, don't talk
    about alternate crank designs! And now, disk brakes.

    Really, if it weren't for Sheldon, Sorni and Carl Fogel, that group would be completely devoid of
    humor. And Sorni's brand of lowbrow just doesn't make an impression on those folks.

    Back to the topic - if I wanted the strongest wheel, I would have a pro build up a high-spoke count
    wheel with good, proven starting materials. Like CK or Hugi hubs, and DT Swiss spokes (I think
    Wheelsmith is good too - I'm not familiar with all the brands, not being a pro builder myself) with
    brass nipples (uhh, Sorni, your cue.) In r.b.tech, I have also read that buying machine-built
    wheels, then having them professionally finished (tension and stress-relieve) is a sort of "second
    place" in the quality arena. But better than just buying the machine builts and then not doing
    anything but slapping them on the bike.

    Like anything else, when it comes to conventionally-made bicycle wheels, you get what you pay for.
    The boutique ones, from all I have read, both in this forum and in r.b.tech, are more fashion
    statement than anything else. But J'm's point is still well-made, and is exactly the reason I went
    SG instead of DB when I built mine. Now, if I would have had them pro-built, I'd have let the pros
    deal with the wind-up hassle.
    --
    Jonesy

  2. Chris Phillipo said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...

    Quoted message said:
    Shawn Curry said:

    Jonesy wrote:

    >J'm Sm'th <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email hidden]>...
    >
    >
    >>Double-butted, feh. They cause me more problems when building than they are worth.
    >
    >
    >Besides, straight-gauge is stronger.
    >
    >[runs and ducks - thermonuclear war ain't for the faint-of-heart]
    >--
    >Jonesy

    Probably are. But spokes usually break where they bend through the hub, so I figure why not save
    some rotating weight. There that wasn't so bad. Couldn't even toast bread on it. :-)

    Shawn

    You know, I've read/heard this too, but the only (2) spoke failures I've seen have been in the
    middle. ??
    --
    Slacker

    Spokes fail at the ends due to fatigue, spokes usually only fatigue if they are of poor quality or
    the wheel was improperly built/maintained. Most other failures are due to objects/people/pets
    getting caught in the spokes which would probably account for the type of failures you've seen.
    Double butted spokes are stronger than straight guage and they are not necessarily lighter than
    their straight guage counterparts because they contain the same amount of matierial for a given
    spoke size.

    Huh? Do you mean to say the steel's density in the narrower section of a butted spoke is higher than
    that of a straight gauge spoke?

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, klydesdale001 @comcast.net says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Chris Phillipo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    . Double butted spokes are stronger than straight guage and they are not necessarily lighter
    than their straight guage counterparts because they contain the same amount of matierial for a
    given spoke size.

    The DT Swiss and Wheelsmith websites both indicate you're quite wrong about DB spokes not being
    lighter than straight gage ones..

    What their respective marketing departments spout when comparing two different gauge spokes is not
    really of concern to me.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-online.comramsays-online.com

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Spokes fail at the ends due to fatigue, spokes usually only fatigue if they are of poor quality
    or the wheel was improperly built/maintained. Most other failures are due to objects/people/pets
    getting caught in the spokes which would probably account for the type of failures you've seen.
    Double butted spokes are stronger than straight guage and they are not necessarily lighter than
    their straight guage counterparts because they contain the same amount of matierial for a given
    spoke size.

    Huh? Do you mean to say the steel's density in the narrower section of a butted spoke is higher
    than that of a straight gauge spoke?

    If you are comparing cold forged to cheap drawn spokes then yes that is exactly what I am saying.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-online.comramsays-online.com

  5. Chris Phillipo said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Spokes fail at the ends due to fatigue, spokes usually only fatigue if they are of poor quality
    or the wheel was improperly built/maintained. Most other failures are due to objects/people/pets
    getting caught in the spokes which would probably account for the type of failures you've seen.
    Double butted spokes are stronger than straight guage and they are not necessarily lighter than
    their straight guage counterparts because they contain the same amount of matierial for a given
    spoke size.

    Huh? Do you mean to say the steel's density in the narrower section of a butted spoke is higher
    than that of a straight gauge spoke?

    If you are comparing cold forged to cheap drawn spokes then yes that is exactly what I am saying.

    Well yeah, I'd agree (based on my vast metallurgical knowledge. Hah!) but I was thinking DT or
    Wheelsmith straight vs. db. I think I'll side with the marketing weasels on that one. DB is gonna be
    lighter. All moot regardless.
    1) I'm convinced they're stronger.
    2) The weight difference will improve handling a little, lighter wheels ride better, but from an
    overall weight perspective I'd do better giving up chocolate chip cookies (The Horror!)

    Shawn

  6. On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:11:36 -0800, "Slacker" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jonesy said:


    Awww, [censored]. Wheeler brings his SS jihad and now is going GRS? And the hits just keep on coming...

    I think he/she always was, but the intense guilt has finally forced it to the surface :~(

    "...SS Jihad", ROFLMAO!

    "...he/she..", Not so funny.

    C'mon Slackman, you know you hear the road calling you.

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.