wheel spec details needed

It'S Frothy Man

Guest
ok, i know this is down to a matter of personnel opinion but advice needed for this :

i am considering buying some Mavic Cosmic Equipe rims on the very cheap .

i need to know what are resonable spokes to get ( what size etc - the more detail the better )

and what front and rear hubs to get.

i'm not out to bust the bank tho' so details of mid range to upper quality ( i'm not a professional
rider so the utmost quality is not needed )

Also details of where to get the stuff wouldn't go a miss ( esp internet sites)

cheers Simon

i want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad,not like his passengers,all screaming
and shouting

It's frothy man ! wrote:
> i am considering buying some Mavic Cosmic Equipe rims on the very cheap .
>
> i need to know what are resonable spokes to get ( what size etc - the more detail the better )

? Do they require special spokes?

> and what front and rear hubs to get. i'm not out to bust the bank tho' so details of mid range to
> upper quality ( i'm not a professional rider so the utmost quality is not needed )

I would go for Chorus, Centaur, 105 or Ultegra. (The Campag ones mentioned are superb:
lightweight and super-easy to adjust & service, almost same as Record and those used in the best
pro Campag wheels).

> Also details of where to get the stuff wouldn't go a miss ( esp internet sites)

http://www.oldhamcyclecentre.co.uk/ http://www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm
http://www.xpedia.co.uk/ Cycling Weekly magazine

~PB

cheers Pete, i'm at a loss as to what spokes i'll need...i've seen some on ebay... DT Revolution
black size 262mm or 264mm but know absolutely diddly about them ???

i'll looking into those hubs you've mentioned tho'

It's frothy man ! wrote:
> ok, i know this is down to a matter of personnel opinion but advice needed for this :
>
> i am considering buying some Mavic Cosmic Equipe rims on the very cheap .
>
> i need to know what are resonable spokes to get ( what size etc - the more detail the better )
>
> and what front and rear hubs to get.
>

> i'm not out to bust the bank tho' so details of mid range to upper quality ( i'm not a
> professional rider so the utmost quality is not needed )
>
> Also details of where to get the stuff wouldn't go a miss ( esp internet sites)

Simon, DT Competition double butted spokes are as good as anyone needs without breaking the bank. I
got a 2 wheel set including nipples (64 in total - you don't say how your rim is drilled) for about
£22.50 + p+p from the Bromley Bike Company. They also sized the spokes correctly from the hub and
rim information I provided, and labelled the drive and non drive side spokes for the rear (the drive
side are 2mm shorter).

http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1060.html

The rear hub you get will depend on whether you run Shimano or Campagnolo gears. I'd suggest a look
through the available hubs on Wiggle at: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ Shimano 105 are good value, and
available in 32 and 36 hole drillings. There's nothing wrong with Campag Veloce for value for money
wheels, either, at the same sort of price point.

Pray tell, where can one get the rims of which you speak real cheap?

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

alright Jim cheers for that. Sorry for the questions come out machine gun style but i've only ever
ridden bikes, not constructed anything.

more " D hat - stand in the corner " type questions

i believe the Mavic rims are drilled w/ 20 holes.....does this effect the hub used. I've checked out
a few hubs on Wiggle, Shimano 105 hubs seem to have 32 or 36 holes as you mention ( i'm familiar
with 105's ) . Obviously your gonna have some hub holes left out if the rims only have 20 OR does it
work where you must have a hub with 20 holes to equal the rim ?

DT competition spokes sound good. I'm assuming that the length is determined by the hub you're gonna
use rather than ( i my case ) i would buy 40 x DT competition spokes without knowing what hub i'm
gonna use yet.....i have a local shop that can lace the wheel but i'd like to go to them with all
the kit ready.

i'm using Shimano gearing so i don't forsee any problems.

thanks again for the answers and hope you can help with this lot

It's frothy man ! wrote:
> alright Jim cheers for that. Sorry for the questions come out machine gun style but i've only ever
> ridden bikes, not constructed anything.
>
> more " D hat - stand in the corner " type questions
>
> i believe the Mavic rims are drilled w/ 20 holes.....does this effect the hub used.

Yes. I'm sorry I'm out of my depth on these particular rims (and wheels), but to be frank, it
looks like you are too. As Cosmics are normally supplied as part of complete factory-built wheels,
plus the fact that they're only 20h, I suspect *special* (thick!) spokes (probably Mavic) and
special techniques are required - and these will be relatively expensive and impractical.
Apologies in advance if I've got this all wrong, but you need to make SURE about all this yourself
before going ahead.

What about getting a more conventional pair of 32-spoke wheels built instead, using something like
Open Pro or CXP33 rims? With good spokes (like standard DT ss db, Sapim Laser or Sapim CX) and a
good hub, you could have truely lightweight, affordable and practical wheels which are surely good
enough for most amateur road racing. They may not be quite as aero as the fancy wheels, but only the
very fastest riders benefit much from that anyway.

There's usually no extra charge for building if you get everything from one dealer, or else you need
to use a spoke calculator (search via Google) for calculating the length based on ERD (effective rim
diamter), hub model, and lacing pattern.

But to persue the Cosmic option, try posting to rec.bicycles.tech to find out what spokes and hubs
would be suitable.

> I've checked out a few hubs on Wiggle, Shimano 105 hubs seem to have 32 or 36 holes as you mention
> ( i'm familiar with 105's ) . Obviously your gonna have some hub holes left out if the rims only
> have 20 OR does it work where you must have a hub with 20 holes to equal the rim ?

Sometimes hubs with more holes can be used with complicated lacing, but I don't know in this case.

~PB

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:09:08 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>What about getting a more conventional pair of 32-spoke wheels built instead, using something like
>Open Pro or CXP33 rims? With good spokes (like standard DT ss db, Sapim Laser or Sapim CX) and a
>good hub, you could have truely lightweight, affordable and practical wheels which are surely good
>enough for most amateur road racing. They may not be quite as aero as the fancy wheels, but only
>the very fastest riders benefit much from that anyway.

One of the things Jobst Brandt points out in "The Bicycle Wheel" is that it is generally a mistake
for an amateur to try to build exotic wheels. The wisest thing a home builder can do is to build
conventional wheels exceptionally well.

--
Dave...

> What about getting a more conventional pair of 32-spoke wheels built instead, using something like
> Open Pro or CXP33 rims? With good spokes (like standard DT ss db, Sapim Laser or Sapim CX) and a
> good hub, you could have truely lightweight, affordable and practical wheels which are surely good
> enough for most amateur road racing. They may not be quite as aero as the fancy wheels, but only
> the very fastest riders benefit much from that anyway.
>
> There's usually no extra charge for building if you get everything from one dealer, or else you
> need to use a spoke calculator (search via Google) for calculating the length based on ERD
> (effective rim diamter), hub model, and lacing pattern.

I'll second that. I have a pair of 32H Open Pro's built with Sapim's on Record hubs. Around 1550g
for £180. If your a weight freak, remember that Campag quote their hub weights with skewers, most of
the others don't.

Mark